Breaking your own property is a crime...

This is a discussion on Breaking your own property is a crime... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Yes, but I was specifically talking about Domestic violence laws. Back in the late 90's early 00's, it was popular for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Breaking your own property is a crime...

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, but I was specifically talking about Domestic violence laws. Back in the late 90's early 00's, it was popular for states to have the "somebody is going to jail" law on every DV case. The officers had no choice. Their job was to determine who was the primary aggressor and haul them out. Luckily, lawmakers have started to see the lunacy in that, and many states have reversed such positions.

One case I was one years ago went like this; Dad was scolding his teenage daughter about something she had done. (I don't remember what now) As he was scolding her, he took his glasses off and was shaking them at her as he hollered. He never touched her, never threatened her, just yelled and shook his glasses. As he shook his glasses the glasses broke at the hinge. Daughter gets pissy over the lashing, and calls 911. We go there, hear both stories. Long story short, daughter was just being a biotch, dad had enough and laid down the laws of his house. Mom and the 2nd daughter all agreed to what happened when talked to separately.
    Guess what? Young rook SIXTO gets ordered to arrest Dad for DV. I fought and argued with the moronic Sgt. on scene, but the law at the time was very clear... somebody had to go. And Dad was the only one who did anything remotely physical, even though it was the daughter that pushed all the buttons.

Shortly after that, Ohio changed the DV law and made it a little more sensible.
    I'm glad things changed. I can imagine what kind of message that sent to the daughter. I bet she never let dad live that down and held it over on him from then on.

I remember when they hauled people away for DV. There for awhile it seemed that they were hauling both husband and wife away no matter the aggressor.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    There for awhile it seemed that they were hauling both husband and wife away no matter the aggressor.
    Sometimes we have to do just that. There are a few couples in my little town that hauling them both off to jail is the only thing they understand. I've done that more than once, but rarely do you have to do that twice to the same couple.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just to be clear we can use the word ass on DC, as long it is in proper context.
    Thanks, wasn't sure and wanted to keep mine out of a sling so I was conservative.

"Personal property" is personal property, meaning it's yours... do with it what you will. But, not in the heat of anger, where some laws related to domestic violence 'may' get you into issues.... or "displays of anger", "disorderly conduct", "displaying threatening and menacing behavior".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Discovered this law the hard way...

Hey guys new here. I cam across this thread while doing some research on something that happened to me this weekend. My wife and I got into a heated argument, which rarely ever happens, sat night. I became angry and broke a lamp. Long story short the cops were called, and I was arrested. I am not a violent person, have no criminal record, and have never before been involved in a domestic incident. My wife didn't want me arrested, just given some time to cool off. The officers also issued an order of protection, and took my hunting guns, again, with my wife pleading for them not to do so. The order is effective until march 3rd, so I won't be able to hunt gun season this year. All this over a broken lamp. That I bought. Thanks for listening.

you may have a very tough time getting your weapons back, the politicians use the domestic violence laws to confiscate weapons and seem to make it real hard to get them back, and if convicted of DV forget it, you'll never be able to get them back
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 6th, 2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: see post 25

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you may have a very tough time getting your weapons back, the cops use the domestic violence laws to confiscate weapons and seem to make it real hard to get them back, and if convicted of DV forget it, you'll never be able to get them back
    It isnt the cops, (they don't make the laws) its the law makers and ambulance chasers. The cops don't want your guns, they can't do anything with them anyway. The just take up valuable real estate in the property room.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    In Utah the law states that if there is a Domestic Violence (DV) Assault, someone goes to jail. However, this only applies to assault. In the case of a "verbal" domestic argument, arrest is not required by statute. For DV Assault, the statute is written "shall arrest".

As far as "breaking your own stuff", during a DV incident, if done in a threatening manner it is a crime in Utah as well, DV Criminal Mischief.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsn5236 View Post
    Hey guys new here. I cam across this thread while doing some research on something that happened to me this weekend. My wife and I got into a heated argument, which rarely ever happens, sat night. I became angry and broke a lamp. Long story short the cops were called, and I was arrested. I am not a violent person, have no criminal record, and have never before been involved in a domestic incident. My wife didn't want me arrested, just given some time to cool off. The officers also issued an order of protection, and took my hunting guns, again, with my wife pleading for them not to do so. The order is effective until march 3rd, so I won't be able to hunt gun season this year. All this over a broken lamp. That I bought. Thanks for listening.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know how old you are, but I remember all-too-well how difficult it was for me to control my temper when I was a young man. testosterone is a bear, but for me, there was nothing like the humiliation of hurrying to repair a hole in the dry wall before company came over the next day. I felt like a little kid that had thrown a temper tantrum, and it was a valuable lesson for me. Now, I'm very grateful to be on backside of the bell curve of life.

It isnt the cops, (they don't make the laws) its the law makers and ambulance chasers. The cops don't want your guns, they can't do anything with them anyway. The just take up valuable real estate in the property room.
    fine, change cops to politicians

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    fine, change cops to politicians
    Done.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know how old you are, but I remember all-too-well how difficult it was for me to control my temper when I was a young man. testosterone is a bear, but for me, there was nothing like the humiliation of hurrying to repair a hole in the dry wall before company came over the next day. I felt like a little kid that had thrown a temper tantrum, and it was a valuable lesson for me. Now, I'm very grateful to be on backside of the bell curve of life.
    I'm 27. You're right, this was an absolutely humiliating situation for me. Something that won't happen again, thats for sure. Nothing like being taken off in cuffs in front of your neighbors. And again them watching as your guns are removed from your house as if you were a violent felon. I was also in the process of applying for my NYS carry permit, which I'm sure is as good as done now. A lot of time, money and effort destroyed because of 5 minutes of stupidity.

VIP Member
    I would check with the laws in NY regarding firearms and domestic violence.

Just because THEY took YOUR firearms away, doesn't mean you've been convicted of a crime. YET!

If that is the case, whose to stop you from 'borrowing a friends rifle to partake in some deer hunting.

As long as its not breaking any laws, like " A person convicted of DV shall not be in possesion of a firarm" , I would thing you'd be OK.

Check what the laws on the books in NY say, as IANAL!!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Here is a real case scenario. My best friend (who is bi-polar, manic depressive and suffers from anxiety) was tired of his step-son not cleaning up the "pig sty" known has his bedroom. Had been asked multiple times by not only his mother but my buddy. Like the obnoxious little dude he was, simply ignored my buddy and his wife.

Now, my buddy has one of his "episodes" tells the kid "I'm cleaning your room" and proceeds to toss out the back door all of the kids' uneaten meals, his broken things, clothes that needed washing months ago etc, etc.

Fast forward to nosy neighbor calling the Sheriff (they live outside city limits) and a Deputy shows up. My buddy tells said Deputy that he was tired of the kid living in squalor and was tossing out the stuff. The Deputy came inside, looked at the room and said, "proceed, Mr. So and So, I have a kid who wants to live like that and I have done the same thing."

So does my buddy need to have the law called on him just because he may have "looked" like he was breaking things? I don't know but you be the judge.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

damned do gooders are too busy watching what everyone else is doing, it is a shame that when you need to "bang heads" you run the risk of getting hauled in on a domestic violence charge.
    FWIW: I had a good battle with my kid for screwing up in school, he decides to walk out rather than face the music, the next town over (1/4 mile away) has a curfew and of course the kid gets picked up and brought home, the only concern the cop had was that I wouldn't beat the daylights out of the kid, but that is exactly what the kids need sometimes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links