Breaking your own property is a crime...

This is a discussion on Breaking your own property is a crime... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw on an episode of "Cops" (Seattle/Tacoma) (I know, so sue me) that it is illegal to break your own or anyone else's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Breaking your own property is a crime...

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Breaking your own property is a crime...

I just saw on an episode of "Cops" (Seattle/Tacoma) (I know, so sue me) that it is illegal to break your own or anyone else's property in the heat of an argument. I realize that all states are different and have different laws but the whole thing just sounded so odd to me. I wonder if we have this law in KY?

The Sheriff's Dept. Was responding to a domestic call. The LEO asked the guy if he broke a lantern and the guy responded, "yes.". This is when the LEO told him that this is a crime.

This going too far IMO. I should have a right to do whatever I want with my own property as long as I'm not hurting anyone. I realize that domestic violence is a serious issue but people have a right to be angry and to have emotions. Its like we're trying to legislate behavior to the extent that it's almost illegal to be angry and we're going to lock you up if you look at someone cross eyed.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You can destroy your stuff all you want... but you cannot do so in a threatening manner, especially with a household member. The argument for this legislation is that breaking household items is a clear indication that someone has lost their cool and needs a "time out". Because of judicial and social liability and special interest lobbying many states have passed very strict domestic violence laws. Domestic violence is one of those areas of law that is a complete PIA for the LEO. They have taken away most of the discretion that LEO's need make a rational decision based on the individual circumstance; in other words, this is what you get when you take that away.
    dukalmighty, TVJ, oneshot and 1 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I have some dry wall in my house that could probably file a restraining order against me.
    lambo969 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

If you wanta break your stuff,go ahead,butlike Sixto said if it's during an argument/domestic it's a problem,also if it is after 10 pm in most States and disturbs your neighbors even when your the only one around,you will probably be cited/arrested for disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You can destroy your stuff all you want... but you cannot do so in a threatening manner, especially with a household member. The argument for this legislation is that breaking household items is a clear indication that someone has lost their cool and needs a "time out". Because of judicial and social liability and special interest lobbying many states have passed very strict domestic violence laws. Domestic violence is one of those areas of law that is a complete PIA for the LEO. They have taken away most of the discretion that LEO's need make a rational decision based on the individual circumstance; in other words, this is what you get when you take that away.
    What is a PIA?

Pain In The @$- aka pita

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    What is a PIA?
    Pain In the A...

VIP Member
    Sounds like left coast logic, spreading like wildfire.

I am sick of Political correctness, and the Dumbing down of America effect its had on this country.

This is the kind of bull crap we must get used to in this country, in the name of sensitivity, and tolerance for idiocy.

The Powers That Be have adopted, and shoved down our throats a "zero tolerance mentality" that WE must adhere to, but they themselves are somehow immune from.

I wish we had a modern day Robin Hood, who would take back our sovereignty, and give us back our sensible way of life,
    which would let people make mistakes, BUT also would hold them accountable.

I am near my ropes end with the stupidity, which is governing us.
    Lotus222, msgt/ret and Stubborn like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Pain In the A...

Just to be clear we can use the word ass on DC, as long it is in proper context.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Didn't Richard Pryor get in some trouble like that by burning a car to keep his x-wife from getting the car in the divorce?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I'm not out to say that you should go around acting like an idiot. I'm not even saying that you should go around and break your own stuff like a bub. Given that a lot of people that you see on "Cops", for example, haven't yet mastered the art of oratory and perhaps do not know other constructive ways to express their anger, I'm saying I'd rather to see a guy bust a kitchen chair up on the floor as opposed to taking his aggression out on whomever he is mad at. I also suspect that people abuse this "law". The segment that came on after the one I'm referring to showed a woman kicking a guy out of her house, saying he didn't live there anymore. After the LEO locked the guy up in the back of the car, the woman asked if she could get breaking and entering charge on him. You could tell that she was trying to be vengeful and rack up another charge on the guy. After talking to her, the LEO decided that he wasn't going to do that to the guy that he had just arrested. I suspect that the law about breaking one's own things is used in the same manner; just another charge to file against someone, etc.

Sixto, is this what you were referring to when you said that LEOs discretion is taken away from them with this law?
    FrankWSweet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Didn't Richard Pryor get in some trouble like that by burning a car to keep his x-wife from getting the car in the divorce?
    I think that is different. That's a case where you are being vengeful and trying to cheat somebody out of something that they are going to get. This law that I'm talking about here would have you arrested if you broke your fishing pole because you were mad at your wife. You would be a criminal. I mean, come on.

Its like we're trying to legislate behavior to the extent that it's almost illegal to be angry and we're going to lock you up if you look at someone cross eyed.
    I think if the other person feels upset, then that law has been passed in TN already, but it may just be limited to your bumper sticker looking at them cross eyed.

I read something not too long ago, about there being a very easy process to add law and red tape, but there being almost no recourse to remove it. When you apply that philosophy to the fact that legislation is really trying to pin down the moving target of where the societal line in the sand falls in the gray area, and a lot of knee jerk responses to events, and a constant attempt to make things black and white; and you will soon create inherent conflict with common sense.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    I think if the other person feels upset, then that law has been passed in TN already, but it may just be limited to your bumper sticker looking at them cross eyed.

I read something not too long ago, about there being a very easy process to add law and red tape, but there being almost no recourse to remove it. When you apply that philosophy to the fact that legislation is really trying to pin down the moving target of where the societal line in the sand falls in the gray area, and a lot of knee jerk responses to events, and a constant attempt to make things black and white; and you will soon create inherent conflict with common sense.
    Completely agree.

Administrator

Sixto, is this what you were referring to when you said that LEOs discretion is taken away from them with this law?
    Yes, but I was specifically talking about Domestic violence laws. Back in the late 90's early 00's, it was popular for states to have the "somebody is going to jail" law on every DV case. The officers had no choice. Their job was to determine who was the primary aggressor and haul them out. Luckily, lawmakers have started to see the lunacy in that, and many states have reversed such positions.

One case I was one years ago went like this; Dad was scolding his teenage daughter about something she had done. (I don't remember what now) As he was scolding her, he took his glasses off and was shaking them at her as he hollered. He never touched her, never threatened her, just yelled and shook his glasses. As he shook his glasses the glasses broke at the hinge. Daughter gets pissy over the lashing, and calls 911. We go there, hear both stories. Long story short, daughter was just being a biotch, dad had enough and laid down the laws of his house. Mom and the 2nd daughter all agreed to what happened when talked to separately.
    Guess what? Young rook SIXTO gets ordered to arrest Dad for DV. I fought and argued with the moronic Sgt. on scene, but the law at the time was very clear... somebody had to go. And Dad was the only one who did anything remotely physical, even though it was the daughter that pushed all the buttons.

Shortly after that, Ohio changed the DV law and made it a little more sensible. Now officers have a lot more discretion. If the same scenario happened today, I could suggest Dad goes and takes a walk to cool off, the daughter might want to go to grandma's house for a few hours or let them hash it all out while we are still there to keep the peace... but certainly nobody would go to jail over something so stupid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links