CO CC Blocked

CO CC Blocked

This is a discussion on CO CC Blocked within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Google dumps all 11+ million .co.cc sites from its results ? The Register Google dumps all 11+ million .co.cc sites from its results Bigger than ...

Thread: CO CC Blocked

CO CC Blocked

Google dumps all 11+ million .co.cc sites from its results ? The Register

Google dumps all 11+ million .co.cc sites from its results
    Bigger than .org or .uk - but mostly spam and phish

The .co.cc space is not an officially authorised second-level domain like .co.uk or .com.au. Rather, it's offered independently by a Korean company (CO.CC - Free Domain name registration + Free DNS service.) that just happens to own the domain name .co.cc.

Google classes the firm as a "freehost", and has exercised its right to block the whole domain "if we see a very large fraction of sites on a specific freehost are spammy or low-quality", according to Matt Cutts, head of Google's web spam team.

The company said in a recent blog post: "To help protect users we recently modified those [malware-scanning] systems to identify bulk subdomain services which are being abused. In some severe cases our systems may now flag the whole bulk domain."

According to a recent report (29-page PDF/2MB) from the Anti-Phishing Working Group, the .cc top-level domain hosted 4,963 phishing attacks in the second half of 2010, almost twice the number found under any other extension.

That was due to a large number of attacks originating from .co.cc addresses, the APWG said.

The .co.cc "registry" offers single sub-domains for free, and enables customers to bulk-register 15,000 addresses at a time for a mere $1,000, or about seven cents a name.

The company claims to have 11,383,736 registered domains and 5,731,278 user accounts. That would make it one of the largest domain extensions in the world, bigger than both .org and .uk by over two million domains.

The .cc top-level domain belongs to the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, a small Australian territory in the Indian Ocean. Regular .cc websites are unaffected by Google's changes.
    Not quite what you were thinking? Haha, me either - when I saw this headline on the news. How.. "interesting"?

This actually does interest me, although that's to be expected as I am a nerd.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

well ... that's 45 seconds gone that I'll never get back.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

What'd he say?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Basically the .cc domain is like .com, .org or .net. You could get a website like www.ilikeguns.cc. Then there are second-level domains like .co.uk and .com.au. Those are extensions of domains like .com that are country-specific. So you could have a site like www.ilikeguns.co.uk. What they're saying is that co.cc isn't an authorized second-level domain. It's a single domain name that someone bought under the .cc domain, which could be simplified www.co.cc. What the owner is doing is handing out subdomains. A subdomain is something like maps.google.com. Google is the main Google domain, and maps.google.com is a subdomain housing their maps section.

What this company is doing is handing out subdomains like ilikeguns.co.cc. Then they'd allow the person who registered it to have up to 15,000 email addresses in that subdomain for about $1000. So 15,000 email addresses like XXX@ilikeguns.co.cc. Pretty much all of these are used for spamming purposes, so Google is blocking them all. They saying that the only ones affected are those who used this company to lease subdomains under co.cc. No other .cc addresses will be affected, and since co.cc isn't an official second-level domain, it's not affecting anyone really legitimate.

/nerd
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My brain hurts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm not quite a geek, but I understand it. Short version - it's a good thing.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

This stuff makes my mind hurt and my eyes water. I'm not too digital I guess.............
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

What's everyone talking about?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 View Post
    This stuff makes my mind hurt and my eyes water. I'm not too digital I guess.............
    You sure your not just imbibing in some spirits? lol
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Links