What would you have said?

This is a discussion on What would you have said? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is the story. My mother in law lives with us. Wife cares for her as she has both diabetes and dimentia. She is 90 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What would you have said?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

What would you have said?

Here is the story. My mother in law lives with us. Wife cares for her as she has both diabetes and dimentia. She is 90 years old and is now receiving some benefits from the VA (medicine mostly). The VA assigned her a social worker and the first visit was today. Many reasonable questions were asked but one question got me concerned. she wanted to know if we have any weapons in the house. we said NO. which was a bald face lie but I just was not prepared for that question and did not feel it was any of her blank business. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Maverickx50; July 8th, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

It's none of their business, so they would get a no from me.

Administrator
    I would have said yes, there are a bunch of knives in the kitchen. There is no need to lie.
    JD and RMS like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd ask what is the purpose of the question....then point to the kitchen knives.

Your property is NONE of their business..
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    I would have said yes, there are a bunch of knives in the kitchen. There is no need to lie.
    That'll do.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    The evil part of me might have shown her a couple of 50 BMGs that she probably couldnt even lift, some evil black short barrelled stuff and a few things with suppressors on them in a room close by.

Then, I would have pulled a suppressed .22 James Bond look alike out of my britches, laid it on the kitched table and innocently said," you mean something like this?" just to see the look on her face.

Its a good thing I am not evil.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lie lie lie lie.............

Two hour tour of the house. All the sharp and pointies in the kitchen, blunt objects galore, house hold chemicals. Then off to the garage, CO2 poisoning, lawn tools, tons of things to hit and stab with in the toolbox, plus you can darn near cut someone's head off with a lawn mower blade. Go into great depth about how to use the chosen objects as a weapon.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I think I would've asked the person what relevance that question had to do with the situation. Depending on their response I would answer accordingly. IMO, you did fine by answering it the way you did, that would be my standard answer for anyone and for most any situation. Also MO that, short of Law Enforcement making such an inquiry it's none of anyone's business. JMO, YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I totally understand WHY she asked that question because of MIL's condition, but you really have to be careful here. this is a government worker that could make your life miserable if you go too far with your answer. Lying is the ticket here. You did good and I would have answered the same way you did.

Of course, I have an evil side too. "Not unless you count the 123 guns and 25,000 rounds of ammo I have in the closet in her bedroom...."
    gottabkiddin and gatech33 like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    As long as any firearms are secured & not attainable by said MIL, don't ask - don't tell.

Social Workers can be great people, but depending on what organization they work for, the rules can dictate irrational responses at times.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree with that ; I should had answered "yes" and pointed all knives in the kitchen. And if she had asked if I had firearms in the house I should had answered "in the safe".
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

mkh
    It would have been a moot point at my house as I always OC around the house. Not sure if I would take it off for a government worker.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The evil part of me might have shown her a couple of 50 BMGs that she probably couldnt even lift, some evil black short barrelled stuff and a few things with suppressors on them in a room close by.

Then, I would have pulled a suppressed .22 James Bond look alike out of my britches, laid it on the kitched table and innocently said," you mean something like this?" just to see the look on her face.

Its a good thing I am not evil.

What I would do.

If i had toys like that...

But, wife would kill me. So......
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Why lie? What difference does it make? It was probably so the social worker could advise them against the failing mental state of their family member so that something unfortunate doesn't happen. You think this therapist is going to run back to the VA database and put down that you have a gun in your home? Who cares, your probably in a half dozen databases already anyway.

my 2cents!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links