A man tried to kill me this morning...

This is a discussion on A man tried to kill me this morning... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Same thing happened here on the 4th of July...Except the guy was riding a motorcycle and he was killed when he slammed into the truck...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A man tried to kill me this morning...

Same thing happened here on the 4th of July...Except the guy was riding a motorcycle and he was killed when he slammed into the truck
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I hate bicyclists that don't follow the rules of the road. I could have very well hit two people that breezed right through a right turn on red when my 8,000 lb truck and I had the green.

Helmets are a must, but if I'm riding on streets, I put on an old high visibility vest I have from my warehouse job.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    If so, Suck It Up and commit to wear a pro helmet Always.

I am glad luck and rider skill was on your side today.
    That's not going to help on any crash which is > 14mph and the rider hits his head. Typically the worst injuries come from torquing headstrikes, which a helmet may increase, due to the plastic grabbing the pavement, whereas hair or scalp will promote a pivoting out of the torque.

I do wear one, but be aware cyclists rarely fall and hit their head. It's usually elbows, knees, shoulders (collarbone injury).

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Two thing to consider when riding a bike or a motorcyle...

One...assume that you are invisible and no one can see you...
    Two...those that can see you are purposely trying to kill you...

Those two things kept me alive more than once when on my motorcycle.
    Some guy in a pick up with a trailer carrying jet skis tried to run me off the road last year, was on my Ducati and went to pass him on a back road (he was going maybe 20 mph). Swerved over to the left as I was just beginning to pass. Must have had a thing about motorcycles. I just kept going and never looked back.....and always wear a full face helmet.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sometimes its cause you are in their blind spot--and they should look twice...though some never look at all.
    i am seeing a lot more weird lately with cars that have the back-up cameras. they in no way remover the driver from actually looking, but many think so.

and us on 2 wheels, or legs, are hurting cause of this.
    we need more laws ( kidding) that all back uping has a beeper. lets make the world a nosier place.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Good thing to buy for a bicycle are the LED handlebar headlight and seat post red light. The ones I have flash, and they increase visibility even during the day....about $30 for the set.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Glad you're okay Timmy and still among the living!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    That's not going to help on any crash which is > 14mph and the rider hits his head. Typically the worst injuries come from torquing headstrikes, which a helmet may increase, due to the plastic grabbing the pavement, whereas hair or scalp will promote a pivoting out of the torque.

I do wear one, but be aware cyclists rarely fall and hit their head. It's usually elbows, knees, shoulders (collarbone injury).
    I know at least two cyclists who fell and hit their heads. One split his skull open. Another blacked out and still doesn't know what happened, but from what I saw of his bike, he hit something head-on hard enough to bend his wheel, fork, and frame.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    When I rode I kept a ball peen hammer taped to my handlebars. They are REAL accurate when thrown.
    Sounds like my kind of lady.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    This, among many other reasons, is why I don't think I'll be buying a motorcycle...although I'd love to ride.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Well, why didn't you shoot him? Clearly he was trying to kill you...

That is the default answer for some around here to every scenario.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Glad you're okay Timmy and still among the living!
    Thanks Bark'n. And thanks to all of the rest of you who have replied with kind words.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Timmy, I just saw your post. Glad you didn't get seriously injured or even killed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Maybe a bandana or do rag before the helmet will help the sweat. Anything to keep it on your head while riding!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I rode way too long without a helmet, ended up in culverts a couple times when drivers ignored me and forced me off the road etc. It is terrifying especially at 30-40mph on long downhill stretches. If I'd been near a driveway or mailbox any of those times, I'd be I'm bad shape now. I never had an accident once I started wearing the helmet, but it sure gave me peace of mind... But man, disgusting barely covers it, hehe. Glad you are ok op!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links