Morons at work - Darwin in action

This is a discussion on Morons at work - Darwin in action within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OSHA would love these guys!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Morons at work - Darwin in action

OSHA would love these guys!

JOHNSMITH and thephanatik like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I... Just wow. I really don't know what to say to these...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Go for it guys!!

Amazon.com showed me a bunch of these during fall hazard/stock picker training.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    lol wow and they breed and live among us. Scary.

Those are perfect examples of things you will NEVER see me do

Just one step from not polluting the gene pool.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I don't know about you guys, but that last one, the guy propped up in the stairwell, that looks OK to me. His weight is bracing him into place and I can't see any way it could go bad, provided he doesn't suddenly start dancing around or something.

This is an excellent opportunity for a timely PSA: We here at the Defensive Carry Forum talk about danger and risk all the time. We talk about your odds of getting mugged and attacked, the chances of some lunatic psycho trying to take you out, and how you might defend against it.

But in reality, statistics-wise and proven by life insurance actuarial tables, there is nothing more risky and dangerous than climbing up on a ladder to clean your gutters or limb that tree in the front yard. It's those weird positions you get into, changing the batteries in a smoke alarm, fixing a curtain rod, hanging Christmas lights, getting up on the roof, that's how most guys punch their own ticket.

It isn't that you shouldn't do such things, it's that when you do them, you should be hyper-alert and take extreme care. If the ladder isn't quite close enough, climb down and reposition it - don't be a hero.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

i would try the last one if I wasn't scared of heights.

As a firefighter looking at these photos....I would consider them job security!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but that last one, the guy propped up in the stairwell, that looks OK to me. His weight is bracing him into place and I can't see any way it could go bad, provided he doesn't suddenly start dancing around or something.
    I think the likely point of failure is the base slipping as he changes positions on the ladder. Normally, the force is almost completely downward because a ladder is at a much steeper angle, which makes the ladder very stable. But in this case, there is significant lateral force. The vibrations from his moving around could cause the foot of the ladder to slip and send him toppling.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    OSHA would love these guys!

This is my favorite. I like the way the two guys are holding up the extension ladder that still has about 8 ft of extension left.

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    This is my favorite. I like the way the two guys are holding up the extension ladder that still has about 8 ft of extension left.

I don't think they're holding it up -- you can see the ladder touching the ground, between the man's legs. I suppose they will catch the refrigerator while they hold the ladder steady?
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    I think the likely point of failure is the base slipping as he changes positions on the ladder. Normally, the force is almost completely downward because a ladder is at a much steeper angle, which makes the ladder very stable. But in this case, there is significant lateral force. The vibrations from his moving around could cause the foot of the ladder to slip and send him toppling.
    That ladder is locked in place by the base of the railing. It's not going anywhere. Structural failure of the ladder would be a concern though. They just aren't built to be strong outside of vertical. This one is OK though, I think it's much safer than the rest of the pics.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Last I heard I think extension ladders are supposed to be used in a 4:1 ratio. For every 4' of height it's supposed to be 1' away from the base of the building.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links