I don't shoot as often as I would like and I don't drive my '66 as often as I like

I don't shoot as often as I would like and I don't drive my '66 as often as I like

This is a discussion on I don't shoot as often as I would like and I don't drive my '66 as often as I like within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a rusty gas tank issue with the '66 where everything from the tank to the carb got inundated with the flake and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I don't shoot as often as I would like and I don't drive my '66 as often as I like

I had a rusty gas tank issue with the '66 where everything from the tank to the carb got inundated with the flake and the fuel pump went and the carb had to be rebuilt... I won't bore you good people with all of my woes. After straightening out the major stuff, replacing the tank, replacing the fuel pump, etc., I knew I had to concern myself with gas contaminating the crank case so I went to change the oil and smelled gas, I mean I smelled gas! OK, so now what? I know I have to change the oil but is that enough? Do I change it, run the motor for a predetermined period of time, then change it again? I'm hoping there's a procedure to follow in the event this happens. Please let me hear from you. Thanks a lot - have a great day.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ahh....would that be 1866 or 1966.

just askin....

Change it, let it run for a bit and warm up then change it again. I did the same in my '57 caddy.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Don't forget to change the filter also.
    uziman2k likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Agreed with the above posts, also smart to check your oil levels religiously for a few weeks and make sure they aren't rising. If fuel is still trickling in, it can wind up overfilling the case and thinning the oil, etc.
    uziman2k likes this.

like snider said it will dilute the oil and if you run the vehicle with gas in the oil it will cause bearing wear and the gas will start to eat the seals and gaskets on the motor i see this alot with older motorcycles and atvs that the needle and seat are worn out and usually a simple rebuild will fix that problem.

VIP Member
    I had a 66 Nova that the fuel pump seal failed, pumped gas into the crank case. The gasoline ate the gaskets in the oil pan, and rocker arm covers. I never was able to get the oil leaks stopped.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    '66 what?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    '66 what?
    atctimmy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Change it, let it run for a bit and warm up then change it again. I did the same in my '57 caddy.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Change the oil AND filter?
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    '66 what?
    Corvette convertible.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I had a 66 Nova that the fuel pump seal failed, pumped gas into the crank case. The gasoline ate the gaskets in the oil pan, and rocker arm covers. I never was able to get the oil leaks stopped.
    I'm hoping I caught the problem before it manifests itself. Thanks.

PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1k View Post
    like snider said it will dilute the oil and if you run the vehicle with gas in the oil it will cause bearing wear and the gas will start to eat the seals and gaskets on the motor i see this alot with older motorcycles and atvs that the needle and seat are worn out and usually a simple rebuild will fix that problem.
    Thanks for that. I agree that oil and gas don't mix and I didn't like smelling that gas smell when I was draining the oil from the crank case. I thinkI caught it in time before I have more sh*t to deal with.

PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    Agreed with the above posts, also smart to check your oil levels religiously for a few weeks and make sure they aren't rising. If fuel is still trickling in, it can wind up overfilling the case and thinning the oil, etc.
    Thanks. Good advice.

PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

327 or 427?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links