Heat Wave

Heat Wave

This is a discussion on Heat Wave within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Who all is being hit by it .. Its bad here I had my ac replaced by a coworker last year and went 1/2 ton ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heat Wave

Heat Wave

Who all is being hit by it .. Its bad here I had my ac replaced by a coworker last year and went 1/2 ton over what was needed for house

well this heat the ac cant keep up i hear the hvac calls went up 300% monday had the guy who installed it check it out 2 weeks ago its working as should be but cant hold the temp we like hard to believe that its this hot here 100 degrees with no heat index almost never happens here

It isn't really hotter here than normal for a summer, but the humidity has been insane. Which really makes it worse.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Southeast colorado is hit , tho some cooler today , anyway its normal for us to have 100+ this time of the year .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

its actually COOLER than normal for this time of year...:)
    Brad B.

Administrator
    Hey Bud...I could use your talented repair skills with machines here.
    Can I pay for your flight to Pennsylvania?

My AC is ready to curl up & die.

All I can say is I am going to have a SWELTERING night here tonight.

I might hafta tie a big bag of Ice Cubes in front of a fan tonight.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sorry Qk on the Ac your out of luck all i really know how to do is replace them and then i don't have tools for that

Talking

Hit by it? lol.... the heat has smashed a hole through the front door like a semi with no brakes, not to mention the humidity is about 70%+++ , but thats par for the course in Florida. Its not the best weather, but being a native of FL makes it somewhat more manageable to cope with. My last power bill was $330.00. Wave bye-bye to the money to pay the power bill!

Bud- I am part owner of a Refrigeration and AC business here in florida. If you would like me to arrange to have ANOTHER new, better, higher efficiency AC I'd be glad to get the work order started!! (plus air fare, hotel, expenses, meals... sound like a deal or what?!)

It probably wasnt a bad idea to go up 1/2 a ton. But be careful, if you go too high over on tonnage your system will only cool the AIR in your house, and not remove a reasonable amount of humidity like its supposed to. Without removal of air moisture, air cooling loses MUCH efficiency. Also called "Short-cycling" because the unit will sense the AIR temperature has hit desired temps and will shut off prematurely- prior to removing enough moisture, which adds to the muggy-ness, encourages mold and mildew to grow, and your home will be more uncomfortable than it originally was.

Bud- if you want to increase the cooling capacity of your unit, you might want to consider stepping up the AIR HANDLER half a ton beyond what the condenser is rated at. This will increase Air flow CFM with almost no decrease in cooling effectiveness.

Ok ill wrap this up, this isnt an AC forum. Just adding my 1/4 cent.

Shaun
    www.ACFlorida.com
    Shaun@ACFlorida.com <-- one time free advertisement, woohooo!
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Shaun i got ya which is what the Coworker told me as ya can tell i don't do hvac trust me it isn't short cycling its running the air is nice and cool but still

i was wondering about opening up the a-coil and seeing if it had got crazy dirty or something it has been nasty here..

New windows help with the ac running my foot.. grumble grumble i didn't want the dang things

I have saved a ton of mowing money, have not needed to in 5 weeks now. I think the heat is breaking tonight and bringing up to 3" of rain and flooding to this area. Well, we wanted rain...

VIP Member
    We've all just turned into air-conditioned wusses......
    We spend so much time in air conditioned spaces, autos & homes, we just don't get acclimated to the heat.

A lot of us remember when as kids & young adults the heat didn't bother us. Just add a few years of soft living & we are sweating are butts off. I know we didn't have AC when I was a kid & we survived, (& don't give me that global warming garbage) temperatures as hot as what we see now.

Today was 100, tomorrow is supposed to be 103, & it's not a 'dry heat', with heat index it will feel like 115.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Can't wait to see the good old electric bill. We were up to 103 yesterday, 78 and raining today. Not normal for MN, but it has nothing to do with Al Gore and his global warning crap. I'll take this over
    -20 any day.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    My elec' bill too Joe

I have two 3.5k units in office shed - one each end - and despite good roof insulation and in walls - average summer day I can only hold about 80 - drier air of course.

Today 83 was best I could control - in house is better with just one 3.5k and a 5k keeping things bearable in downstairs.

Humidity is for sure the real killer - temp oiutside kitchen in shade today was 96 or so and heat index of course well over three digit mark. Seems like Friday before cold front freshens things but - then we get T storms!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Shaun i got ya which is what the Coworker told me as ya can tell i don't do hvac trust me it isn't short cycling its running the air is nice and cool but still

i was wondering about opening up the a-coil and seeing if it had got crazy dirty or something it has been nasty here..

New windows help with the ac running my foot.. grumble grumble i didn't want the dang things
    1/2 a ton over isnt bad, in fact its very common.. 1 ton over is probably far as I would personally go in most cases. (Depends on circumstances) Short cycling would probably occur at 2 tons++ over recommended load depending on the size of the area the unit is cooling.

For the A-Frame coil- If the unit was just installed last year, the chances of the evaporator coil being filthy to near clogged is rare and minimal, unless you have a LOT of infiltration =(unsealed or not fully sealed, leaky windows, doors & other crevices that allow unwanted hot and dirty air inside your home from outside, adding to your heat load and your power bill, and also adding to your "dirty factor")= migrating into your home. I seriously doubt the A-frame is a problem. If you live in a very dusty or clay environment, or have a lot of foot traffic in and out of your home on a daily basis, there is a chance it has accumulated SOME debris, but in most cases in my opinion, a system which is only 1 year old or less, your Aframe should be fine, even if it is slightly dirty.

I notice you mentioned new windows. These are probably another good option if your AC System is already 1/2 ton over. I would suggest getting double or triple paned windows. (at least double) This adds some insulation between panes by keeping them seperate, and in turn keeps the glass from getting so warm because it cant easily transfer from pane to pane quickly. To boot, these windows are also available with a UV coating that eliminates a good portion of the heat that comes in. If that is not affordable for you then I would suggest for now, to have your windows tinted, preferably the mirrored tint as it is not as dark colored as the "limo-tint" and does not attract as much additional heat.

Shaun
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

It is hotter than H - E - Double Hockey Sticks here too!

Yesterday was 101 but with heat index 115 same today but a couple of degrees lower. Last week was very hot as well. They say by Thursday the high is only 85! I hope they are right. I don't even want to go outside let alone do anything out there.

I just checked again and it's still 98 outside at 7:00pm, calling for 100Wednesday and they still say 85 - 86 Thursday! I hope they are right!!!!!!
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

we had the new windows installed last week.. waste of money for my take the old 3 pane classics that didn't open were just fine ,, Double pane with a 3rd pane added for some reason..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links