Looks like we aren't headed back to Memphis just yet

This is a discussion on Looks like we aren't headed back to Memphis just yet within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had two jobs interested in me. The first offered me the job but, because of salary and medical insurance concerns, I had to turn ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JDE101
  • 1 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Looks like we aren't headed back to Memphis just yet

Looks like we aren't headed back to Memphis just yet

I had two jobs interested in me. The first offered me the job but, because of salary and medical insurance concerns, I had to turn it down. It killed me to do so too because when we lived there, this was the exact job that I had always wanted. It was at a competitor, but not far from where I was working. But, I just couldn't do it for the money they offered and the real killer was the medical insurance. It wouldn't start until the first of the month following a full 30 days on the job. One of our children has a medical condition that could worsen, requiring surgery, at any time. So being without insurance for what could be almost 2 months was not an option and they would not make any special considerations for me. So, it was a no-go.

Today, I had a phone interview for the second job that was interested in me. It was a long shot because the company is fairly small and I doubt they could pay any serious relocation package. But the point is most likely moot anyway as I just got done with what has to be the worst phone interview performance I have ever had. I did terrible. Not to make an excuse but I was at work until 3am last night/this morning and I am still beat. That may have played a roll. But I am sure that I have been scratched off that list.

So it looks like we are stuck in Indiana for the foreseeable future. Such is life. We will survive.

At least my wife landed a good job that she really likes recently.

Looks like we are stuck in Indiana still. It could be worse I'm sure.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hang in there things will have to improve, it just takes time.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    FYI: When you leave a job your company is required to allow you access to COBRA for up to 18 months. COBRA is continuation of your current medical benefits. You will most likely have to pay the full premium (cover the company's part as well as your own). You also have 60 days from termination to elect to use COBRA. You can wait to see if you have a medical necesity to elect COBRA within that 60 days. However, since your son has a pre-exisiting condition, you probabaly would want to use COBRA for the entire gap.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    FYI: When you leave a job your company is required to allow you access to COBRA for up to 18 months. COBRA is continuation of your current medical benefits. You will most likely have to pay the full premium (cover the company's part as well as your own). You also have 60 days from termination to elect to use COBRA. You can wait to see if you have a medical necesity to elect COBRA within that 60 days. However, since your son has a pre-exisiting condition, you probabaly would want to use COBRA for the entire gap.
    I'll second that. Pretty sure you have to pay the full premium, but it is something...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thanks phreddy. Yes, we researched COBRA and decided that with the cost of moving, setting up a new residence and everything else that goes along with relocating (we did it just a year ago after all) that we just can't afford the move at this time.

Like I said though, it could be worse. We'll be fine. We both have jobs, the kids have friends, we have a home. In reality, other than it not being where we want to live and hating paying state and county income taxes (and man, do those county income taxes really burn my butt) we don't have much to complain about.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sorry to hear you aren't going to be able to return to TN yet, but look on the bright side--you are in IN. Just think how bad it would be if you had to live and work in IL? That thought should brighten you day. Good luck in the future, just keep hangin in there.
    oneshot likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Hang in there something will turn up. Happy your boy is handling things so well, with a good family, you can stand about anything!
    oneshot likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Thanks phreddy. Yes, we researched COBRA and decided that with the cost of moving, setting up a new residence and everything else that goes along with relocating (we did it just a year ago after all) that we just can't afford the move at this time.

Like I said though, it could be worse. We'll be fine. We both have jobs, the kids have friends, we have a home. In reality, other than it not being where we want to live and hating paying state and county income taxes (and man, do those county income taxes really burn my butt) we don't have much to complain about.
    I am glad you researched it before you made your decesion. I would hate for you to miss an opportunity due to lack of information.

It'll work out. The kiddos are the main issue right now, the rest will work out at the correct time. Keep the faith, Mike.

One thing I have learned in my life,if It's meant to happen it will,as long as you do your part then sit back and wait,If you start trying to force something in your favor and start cutting corners etc. to the point you feel anxious and uncomfortable the end result is usually not real good.It will happen in HP's time not ours
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Glad you wife is working ,and enjoying it.
    That is always a welcome addition to the budget.

Hope Scotty is managing his illness, and is doing alright.

Take care Mike.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links