Boys and Girls, this man KNOWS how to ride a motorcycle. Believe it. - Page 2

Boys and Girls, this man KNOWS how to ride a motorcycle. Believe it.

This is a discussion on Boys and Girls, this man KNOWS how to ride a motorcycle. Believe it. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I did a course with a guy named Jerry Paladino, who does a civilian version of the police motor stuff (not as tight, though - ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Boys and Girls, this man KNOWS how to ride a motorcycle. Believe it.

Senior Moderator
    I did a course with a guy named Jerry Paladino, who does a civilian version of the police motor stuff (not as tight, though - the police courses are usually 17-18 feet wide, ours were 20), with tight turns, offset cone weave, intersection boxes, etc.

During one break, when most of us were feeling pretty good about our developing skills, Jerry walked over to his bike, set the throttle hold to about 2000 rpm, and sat side-saddle on the bike and did some 16' U turns one handed.....

These guys can definitely ride. Many of the exercises on the rodeo course are on the police rider training course.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Great throttle and clutch control, along with some nice counter-steering techniques. Also, watch is eyes/head, they are always pointing in the direction he's going to be going...very nice. One of the other posters has this posted under his handle, "smooth is fast", which this reminds me of.

Whats really cool is when there are two motorcycle cops riding in tandem tank to tank on a course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmeP6QWQhVo

that is somw very impresive riding/ My hat is off to them all.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

The time and effort these guys put in is amazing. Some of the newer guys will cook their clutches but as they get more practice it is less of an issue.

There was one guy that retired from Philly's Highway squad back around 2000 that on the key (slow ride) would take over two minutes just to get his back tire into the course. I could eat my lunch while he was inside the course.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thumbs up

Very impressive. I need to go do some parking lot drills (nothing like these guys do), some figure eights and also practice panic stops. Used to every month to sharpen road skills, but have gotten slack. Also reminds me of th first time I took my sport bike to a track day. You never know the limits until you test them, and it makes you a much better rider on the street.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I did a course with a guy named Jerry Paladino, who does a civilian version of the police motor stuff (not as tight, though - the police courses are usually 17-18 feet wide, ours were 20), with tight turns, offset cone weave, intersection boxes, etc.

During one break, when most of us were feeling pretty good about our developing skills, Jerry walked over to his bike, set the throttle hold to about 2000 rpm, and sat side-saddle on the bike and did some 16' U turns one handed.....

These guys can definitely ride. Many of the exercises on the rodeo course are on the police rider training course.

Matt
    Paladino offers the courses and DVD instruction. I like it when he gets one of his ladies, who is a little bitty thing, to take that big harley out and make it dance. I've got a lot more practice to be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Holy.... stuff..... I love how he used the boards to set the bike on so it didn't fall. And changed the turn radius.

That is amazing. I wish I had the patience for it. ...that poor tortured clutch... I could very easily be wrong, but it looked like he was using the clutch to make the torque help stabilize the bike?
    Nope you are right but it is a combination of several things, working the friction zone on the clutch, keeping the RPMs up, head/eye control, and only using the rear brake during maneuvers.

Well, I could do that, of course my cones would have to be set up in a space about the size of Gettysburg!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Holy schnikeys. I remember taking the MSF basic course when the tight figure 8 was optional; by the time I got to teach it, it was out of the curriculum. I thought that was an excellent example of clutch, throttle, rear brake, look where you want to go, etc; these guys are amazing.

Wow. He just bosses that bike around!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Nope you are right but it is a combination of several things, working the friction zone on the clutch, keeping the RPMs up, head/eye control, and only using the rear brake during maneuvers.
    I just wish I could afford a bike like that to practice with...or a bike at all at this point... The only bike I've been able to get my hands on is an old Shadow, and the last time I rode was about 2 years ago, and I feel the withdrawal worse every sunny day.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I couldn't do that on a bicycle! A+ ride!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Ex Member
    That man has spent a LOT of time on a scoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Mike, you have one of the most skilled set of riders I've ever seen right under your nose. The Indianapolis motor patrol has/had a touring team that can do so amazing things with a Police Road King.
    You've got that right! I've seen them at several national HOG ralleys, and they are truely impressive. The Seattle Cossacks are another fantastic group, who ride "antique" Harleys. They do some really impressive things too.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links