Batching meals ....

Batching meals ....

This is a discussion on Batching meals .... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What do you married guys do to eat when " batching " for a bit ... Tonight i find myself batching ... I started out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batching meals ....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Batching meals ....

What do you married guys do to eat when " batching " for a bit ... Tonight i find myself batching ... I started out to make some chorisso patato burittos , but alas had no tortillas and just refursed to make some ... so i wound up with chorisso sloppy joes with a slight mid stream change in spiceing ... Now i admit i like to cook , and am good enough at it i have paid for a restaraunt with my cooking .. so cooking for myself is a rare joy ( all the " gassy " stuff that momma says is hasmat lol ) ... anyway how do you " batch " and do you enjoy it ..

You single guys may pick up a tip or two if the thread takes off lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I don't have another option besides "batching it", But I'm a pretty good cook, and to tell the truth, I'd rather eat my own cooking than just about anyone else's. I tend to cook up big pots of red beans and rice, spaghetti sauce, chilli, gumbo, etc. break em' down into tupperware containers and throw em' in the freezer. I also like to pre marinate hunks of meat and throw em in the freezer. So when I'm not in the mood to really cook I can just defrost somethin' and then just throw a veggie and starch together. Or I light the charcoal and throw one of the pre marinated hunks of meat on. Also, when you're cookin' for one, it helps to already have your chow broken down into one man portions.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Heck if you can cook for one man your a better cook than me ... tho i agree on the make a " batch " and freeze or preserve as necessairy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    When "batching" it, it's usually only for day or two, so I commonly go for the "greasy, bad for you" stuff that my wife doesn't like. I'll usually grill a couple of germans or a triple cheeseburger and eat it in front of a guy movie with a high body count that the wife hates and I won't let the kids watch.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    I still enjoy cooking and ''batching'' is always good for economy in energy and usually ingredients too.

I hate resorting to ready-meals - most of those suck! My wife cooks OK of course but I don't mind sharing culinary duties.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I batch Beer-Battered Hamburgers like its my job. I stockpile them. Had a local frat pay me to cook em for rush week (it was Sig Chi) and I'm not even a greek. Use some elk meat in 'em, bacon, cheese, a few other "choice" ingredients, and the choice of beer is KEY.

Mmm..... I think I'll go thaw some.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Beer Battered Hamburgers?!? Do you deep fry them or grill them?

I usually batch beef, so this sounds good to me either way.

I like chipped beef (SOS) on home made bisquits, my speciality. Only available when I do the cooking.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Autofan,

Grill them!!!! Absolutely!!!! They are tough to grill because if you soak them too long then they just fall apart on the grill. Special ingredients will prevent that and act as glue. After I grill them, I just toss the leftovers into the freezer in a zip-lock. To reheat them I toss 'em on the grill on low heat for about 15 minutes and they're just as good as new. If you want my recipie I'll shoot it to you in a PM. Such things are not for public domain. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The big bags of boneless and skinless chicken breast are awesome. They only cost a few bucks at wally world and they are great on the grill. Or throw them on the george foreman grill, or slice them and pan fry them for fajitas. There is so much you can do with these I never go without a few of them hanging out in the freezer.

When the wife and kids are gone, I pick one item from each of the following groups for supper..

Group 1
    Beef (ribeye, NYstrip, London Broil, Or burger)
    Pork (Chops, steaks, or ribs.

Group 2
    Hash browns
    Fried sliced potatoes

Group 3
    O'douls
    Sharps
    Bush N/A

I grill group 1, frypan group 2 while drinking group 3.

Sixbravo, if you would be willing to share battered burger that recipe, I would love to see it!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    There is no change in what I eat, whether "batchin'" or not as I stay on a fairly strict diet all the time....
    Tuna, Salmon, Chicken, Turkey and lean beef (with the occasional Ribeye) for meat...
    Spinach, Baked potatoes, Green beans, Brown rice, Carrots, Beans Corn and sometimes a Sweet Potato for veggies....
    Some bread products and lots of Onions, Garlic and Red Pepper....
    Mouth is watering just thinking about it......
    Add 1 Gallon of H20 a day, a good multi and dietary supplements and you've got a recipe for good health...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Lead Moderator
    Single parent so I cook all the time.I like to grill burgers or the boneless chicken. Other stuff like spaghetti or other easy dishes make cooking less of a chore. Venison is my favor , but I tend to run out before next deer season comes around.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As the wife works AM and I work the PM shift, I am always eating left-overs for supper.

As a result, I will make several large batches of differrent things I am interested in and that ends up being my lunches.

Stuff can be anything from roast, to steaks to casserols to who know what I am craving. Like I am doing clams now....for Clam chower in January.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

My favorite tool is the crock pot. I can make some mean chili in that guy and it's relatively easy and painless to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links