Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair

This is a discussion on Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is a school that has a wheel chair bound student, but she does have arms. They accepted her as an "addiitional" cheerleader, and they ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair

There is a school that has a wheel chair bound student, but she does have arms. They accepted her as an "addiitional" cheerleader, and they all say they can't imagine her not being a member now.

Many schools have 'shout leaders' .... so, if she can yell loud... hey.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

I agree QK. While I applaud people who overcome disabilities to achieve greatness, like a blind fellow on this Expedition Morocco show, there are just some things that certain people can't do. The blind guy has climbed Everest, that's pretty friggin cool. But he can't ever drive a car. It just can't be done. If one has no legs, one cannot participate in some activities which are based largely on the use of legs.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Time for her to give it up and move on to something else. The Girls soccer team or volleyball perhaps.
    Man you cold... :-)

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Boxing Helena?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Maybe there's a spot on the football team.
    Title IX, it would make for a good game of lawsuit lotto. Meanwhile costing the taxpayer more legal fees.

I applaud the effort and respect the struggle, but there is a prayer I picked up in high school
    "Lord, grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    and wisdom to know the difference."

Regardless of your religion, there's a lesson in there that's worth learning, and sometimes you need to learn when to accept something.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    somewhere in time, round about age 5 she needed a strong father figure.

i have no idea what he thought was more important, but its a boat that has sailed
    ....and sunk.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

This is like having a President with a brain from either party.

If we would stop changing vocabulary, these things wouldn't happen. She's been told she's "differently-abled" (or some variant) rather than "disabled." The hard cold truth is that there are things she is NOT ABLE to do. As a man, I'm unable to give birth. Who do I sue? I have poor vision, so I can't be a fighter pilot. Who do I sue. I'm too old to try out for American Idol. Who do I sue. I have a 2 inch vertical leap, so I can't play basketball well. Who do I sue?

Accept the cards you were dealt. Make the most of them, but don't expect the vast majority to change the world to accommodate your every wish. Go to the game and cheer on the team, if you have this burning desire to cheer. You don't need a uniform to cheer.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

I have to admit this is a bit ridiculous. She is incapable of doing the things required for the position, so I just don't get it. I found a working link with a photo, by the way.

Armless, legless teen may sue for cheerleading spot*|*Football

But this story does make me point out that some handicapped people earn their own way and find things that they can actually do. My local Apple store in Ft.Worth has several disabled employees. One is in a wheelchair and there is another guy that is probably about 3 foot tall tops.. he can't even see over the counters where the computers are. But both of them still manage to do their jobs okay and make a living, rather than live on disability. So I give them a great amount of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have to admit this is a bit ridiculous. She is incapable of doing the things required for the position, so I just don't get it. I found a working link with a photo, by the way.

Armless, legless teen may sue for cheerleading spot*|*Football

But this story does make me point out that some handicapped people earn their own way and find things that they can actually do. My local Apple store in Ft.Worth has several disabled employees. One is in a wheelchair and there is another guy that is probably about 3 foot tall tops.. he can't even see over the counters where the computers are. But both of them still manage to do their jobs okay and make a living, rather than live on disability. So I give them a great amount of respect.
    I fully understand your point on the folks in the Apple store. And I agree, good for them, but they can do the job. This girl can not, I feel for her, but for gods sake someone has to tell them to give it a rest.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have a wheelchair, I never realised I could be a cheerleader,Of course it might get a little chilly in the winter time sitting in a chair with 30 degree temps and a 30 mile an hour wind blowing against my hairy legs
    Man.......... I coulda gone the rest of my life without THAT visual!
    Seriously though, why can't she ( or her Parents) overcome the fact that she has no arms and no legs and not make the rest of the world responsible for that fact.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Seriously though, why can't she ( or her Parents) overcome the fact that she has no arms and no legs and not make the rest of the world responsible for that fact.
    On the bright side.. I keep up with some of the medical science news sites and there has been a lot of progress made in "limb regeneration" in the last few years. There is hope that it may be possible to tell the cells in her limbs to regenerate, causing her to grow her own arms and legs. It wouldn't surprise me to see this happen in the next 10-20 years. Too bad for her, she'll be a little old for cheerleading. Failing that, they are also making good progress in prosthetic limbs that be controlled by thought, just like a regular limb.

Someone who is blind can be Governor of a state... But they can't be a paramedic. Or be a driver for UPS, for that matter.

Time for some girl, tragic as her life may be, to move into the real world.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

But then.........

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links