Prevent another tragedy- sign Caylee's law petition

This is a discussion on Prevent another tragedy- sign Caylee's law petition within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm sure many of you, like me, were less than pleased with the results of the Casey Anthony verdict. I came across this petition, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Prevent another tragedy- sign Caylee's law petition

Prevent another tragedy- sign Caylee's law petition

I'm sure many of you, like me, were less than pleased with the results of the Casey Anthony verdict.
    I came across this petition, and I felt that I should share it with the community here. I urge you to take a look and if you feel so inclined, sign also.

This petition calls for a new law which would make not reporting a missing child within 24 hours a felony. So far 1.2 million people have signed this...I'm not one who usually signs random things but this looks like it may get some serious attention and hopefully save some lives.

http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

2. Remove Ads

24 hours? I wonder how many rebelling teens will hide out then call the cops on their parents if they weren't reported. Also the law would need to define "missing".
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

I think the sentiment is in the right place. But as Maverick said, a 17 year old child arguing with his parents and stays the day with a friend. The parents could then be in violation of federal law?

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I think the sentiment is in the right place. But as Maverick said, a 17 year old child arguing with his parents and stays the day with a friend. The parents could then be in violation of federal law?
    I'm sure it would be defined in the law...a missing child is a little different than a teen in angst, lol! If the teen stormed out of the house, technically they're not "missing", just estranged. Haha
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I see even her mom, who defended her at trial, doesn't actually want Casey back in her house.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    I'm sure it would be defined in the law...a missing child is a little different than a teen in angst, lol! If the teen stormed out of the house, technically they're not "missing", just estranged. Haha
    I wouldn't be so sure that it would be defined in the law, remember we are dealing with politicians.........It seems like knee-jerk lawmaking to me as you cannot legislate morality.
    OD*, Stubborn and packinnova like this.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    I wouldn't bet a felony charge on that. We all know there is no such thing as common sense within the DC beltway. Instead of trying to operate on common sense, they operate on knee jerk reactions.
    Last edited by archer51; July 17th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
    BaconHunter likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

No law ever "prevented" a crime, it just provides punishment after the fact! I totally object to enacting a new law every time there is a singular sensationalized event, what are the odds of another situation like this happening in the next 10 years?
    Last edited by F350; July 17th, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Stubborn and packinnova like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    I....It seems like knee-jerk lawmaking to me as you cannot legislate morality....
    Ditto, it is.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

we really don't need any more laws, especially these half baked ones in reaction to one sad case

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I oppose this bill. Bad tragedies tend to make bad laws.
    Hakkaa päälle!

This law is based on emotion.

There are enough laws already. It wasn't a deficiency in the law that let her walk, it was a deficiency in evidence.

Better to let one walk, than to hang an innocent.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I don't see where this is a huge problem that needs a law enacted to enforce it,we already have laws such as Child endangerment,Child Neglect,Child abuse,Willful and Wanton __insert crime here_________.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nope. Ain't gonna do it. Brings to mind the saying: If the answer is more gov't/laws, it must've been a stupid question. Too many split families with multiple caretakers, what's the definition of a "child", etc. Seems not reporting them missing when appropriate would already be covered under child negligence. Casey was found not guilty, not "innocent"; the prosecution didn't prove she was guilty. As they say, what you know(assume) and what you can prove are two different things. Thankfully, people still don't go to jail unless wrongdoing is proved in a court. I have too much recent experience with people assuming things (false things) based on just pieces of the facts to support a vague law b/c one person most probably beat the system.

Pass. This is no better than the Brady Bunch jumping on anti-gun legislation after a shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links