Watermelon, cantaloupe and blueberries

This is a discussion on Watermelon, cantaloupe and blueberries within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just finished eating some if all three listed, and it was all local and the blueberries organic. All I can say is we have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watermelon, cantaloupe and blueberries

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Watermelon, cantaloupe and blueberries

I just finished eating some if all three listed, and it was all local and the blueberries organic. All I can say is we have some awesome produce coming out of this area this year. Sweetest watermelon I have had in a long time.

Tomatoes have suffered a bit but the fruits are bangin.

Anyone else getting some good local produce from your area? I'm in Western SC by the way.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I thought you were gonna say you shot them with a .50BMG @ 100 yards. That would be a trick with the blueberry.

You are right, this is a good year for fruit.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I just picked and ate the first cucumber from my garden. It was very tasty!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Roommate brought home some garden tomatoes and peppers a co-worker gave her. I cooked the peppers the other night (she wasn't sure of the best way), and they were wonderful. And pretty hot.
    The tomatoes.... they're small, maybe about the size of table-tennis balls, I haven't bothered cutting them- they're sweet enough to just eat straight.

I'm in Rock Hill, SC.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I agree. Had some Washington Parish La, watermelon a few days ago. It was the best I had in years. And, the strawberries from Ponchatoula are great this year too.

I don't like blueberries, so I will take your word for it.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

DG that is a lot of dietary fiber. I hope you invested in charmin....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I live in the RGV Rio Grande Valley,I pass by Orange and grapefruit orchards everyday,Watermelon and strawberry fields galore,and guess what this stuff is cheap,I just bought a Sandia seedless watermelon for $2
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Let's see. I have so much squash in the freezer we are starting to give most of what we pick away. Somewhere around 16 pints of green beans, 14 pints of pickles, 7 pints of cucumber relish. Tomatoes are turning, and the Cherokee Purple's are out of this world. I have 2 1/4 lbs of tomatoes waiting to be made into salsa. Picked 12 quarts of blackberries and have 4 pints of BB jam now. About 8 quarts left frozen. The green peppers are close. The okra is coming along nicely. And the sunflowers look really pretty. I planted 3 more rows of green beans last weekend. Might have to replant all of it. The heat really slowed it down. Unfortunately I have had to dig up most of my cucumbers, between the heat and bugs they did not make it.

Been a good year in the garden!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    This is a bad time of year for us in phoenix, it's too hot. We did have some stellar tomatoes a few days ago, but the veggies don't seem to like the constant 105+ degree weather. Even late into the night its still in the upper 90's. But the other 9 months out of the year produces really well for us. The oranges and grape fruits are the best.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I forgot to mention the peaches. They are absolutely outstanding as well. Best crop in years. That's a good thing since I'm 10 miles from what is considered the peach Capitol of the world.

I have not eaten many blueberries in my life, and usually they come packaged at the grocery store. This bag was picked by my six and two year old daughters Saturday and they are by far the sweetest yet.

And yes the TP is in stock.

Lead Moderator
    I'm down between Baltimore and DC, and we have a farm from Pennsylvania that brings fresh produce and fruit down every week.

Just finished up their cherry season, it's short but 3-4 weeks of fresh sweet cherries is just great!! The other fruits are around longer like raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, not to mention melons and fresh sweet corn!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    We were in Georgia a month ago, way up by North Carolina and not far from South Carolina, and bought some organic blueberries that came from SC. They were the best blueberries I've had in ages.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    And yes the TP is in stock.
    <-- it is almost like the potty dance
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    .... and fresh sweet corn!
    I cannot stress enough to folks how tasty sweet corn is right out of the fields down here. Pluck it off the stalk, take it home, shuck it and grill it. Oh my!

Distinguished Member
    Last year I started putting a little salt, fresh ground pepper, agave syrup, and vinegar on cut up fruit. I just did it with cantalope, blueberries, and strawberries. All my friends seem to like it or so they say.

It makes it a little sweet/salty/spicy/puckery. The syrup gives it a nice glaze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links