A non gun related thread: CIGARS

This is a discussion on A non gun related thread: CIGARS within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This has nothing to do w/guns, but I'm guessing there's a few people out there that can provide some good advice. I am a very ...

Thread: A non gun related thread: CIGARS

A non gun related thread: CIGARS

This has nothing to do w/guns, but I'm guessing there's a few people out there that can provide some good advice. I am a very casual cigar smoker, and am thinking about getting a humidor. I have my eye on one that holds 100 cigars(Bargain Humidors Desktop Humidor - CUBANCRAFTERS). I'm looking at this one because the price seems great, craftsmanship looks good, and it's made and sold locally here in Miami. I honestly doubt I will have 100 cigars in my posession any time soon, but it seems that the smaller ones cost the same ammount or more. Is there any problems caused by having a larger humidor than I currently need? I will probably have between 10-20 cigars on hand. If it's not going to make me more prone to mold or other issues, I would rather have room for growth, than have to buy something bigger if my cigar hobby grows. If the cigar thing evolves like my shooting has, I am sure I will eventually have it much closer to full.
    Also, do you guys keep you cigars in the cellophane wrapper in your humidor?
    I am finding myself enjoying cigars on the mild end of the spectrum such as the Macanudo Hyde Park Cafe. If you have any suggestions for others I would love to try some new ones!

2. Remove Ads

The larger the humidor, the more challenging it will be for you to control the temp and humidity, unless you have a very good quality humidifying device. I started with a 25 cigar humidor back in the day, and ended up with a collection of over 10 boxes of cigars at one time, which I kept in a locker at a local cigar shop's humidor (Club Humidor in San Antonio). When I moved from TX to NC (Army), I kept my cigars in a 32-qt cooler and made my own humidification device with florist foam. It did a pretty good job.

I used to remove the cellophane from the cigars and they did get a nice cedar tone on them from the humidor liner, but I don't care about that any more. Now, I buy my cigars as needed, one box at a time. My regular smoke is Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature. Enjoy life...a cigar is a cigar.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Luckily in Florida, the atmospheric humidity is usually perfect on it's own. If you A/C, though, you're reducing the relative humidity. A couple of tricks with the humidor: check the seal with a dollar bill. Put the bill in it and close the lid on it. If it doesn't hang on, it doesn't seal. Check around the entire box. Big humidors can be expensive but if they don't seal, all the looks in the world mean squat. Price is never an indicator of quality. I've seen worthless $300 humidors, and excellent $60 boxes. Also, use the humidor solution they sell. It's a mixture of glycol and water, so it can't evaporate to 100% humidity in the box, and will keep it at 75% or so. Temperature is far more critical than maintaining humidity. The exact temp doesn't matter, but consistency is more important so store them someplace where the temp stays even. A humidor on the coffee table is not it. I keep mine in an interior closet (along with all the boxes of ammo I haven't safed yet). The glove box in your car is death. I leave them in the wrapper, but some swear by "aging" out of the wrapper. Mine never last that long. I have a half dozen of the acrylic jars like you'd store flour or sugar in. A piece of solution damp (not wet) sponge in the bottom is all it takes. Tupperware is entirely valid as well, as is any type of seal-able box, like a cooler with a tight lid, or a glass jar like you'd make sun brewed ice tea.
    Macanudo and Fuente are always consistent and good, but be bold, and try new brands. I love exploring new shops and always pay attention to unfamiliar sticks that have sold well in any shop. Always worth a try, then go back and buy the ones you liked. There's so many great cigars in the $5-$7 range. $15 Dominican made Cuban brand names are for suckers. Dominican cigars tend to be the mildest, but construction can vary. A tight cigar is an exercise in frustration. Be gentle when you start squeezing. Some shop owners go ballistic if you start squeezing everything. Cuban cigars are very well made, but very stiff flavor profile, and overpriced. Not for mild palates. I like Nicaraguan puros (wrapper, binder, filler all the same tobacco). Smooth, but with a spicy kick. Anything with a Connecticut shade wrapper will be smooth. 80% of the flavor comes from the wrapper. The binder determines how well it's going to smolder. Fatter cigars (higher ring gauge) tend to burn cooler/slower and yield far more flavor overtones, if you have the time to give. I like Robustos. Big enough to burn slow, but not a four hour golf stick.
    Hope this helps. I'm ready to light up now.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I like a nice brick house or rocky patel, I actually got the rare opportunity to smoke a Rocky Patel Rennessance with Nish Patel at Pipe Puffer in Indy. As for a humidor, I would start small, get a nice 10 cigar case with a small humidifier in it and start there, if you find you have more cigars than that holds just get another case of 10 holders. once you get to 30 cigars in 3 cases, time for a 50 stick humidor. Once that 50 one starts getting full and not having anything smoked out of it without 10 more being placed in, get a big humidor. I always just buy a box of cigars and keep em in the shop humidor, everyone who comes in is a regular and i just go in, get a cigar and sit down and smoke with the fellas.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Thanks everybody for your input and suggestions!

I second yankeejib on the Nicaraguan puros, in particular Padrons. and a 5x50 5x54 is about perfect. If you need more than that, just light another one. I do have a large (200 count) humidor, but only because it lets me drop a couple cedar boxes of 20 in the bottom and still have the top tray available for sticks I'll smoke sooner. and the top tray is easier to rotate so they're evenly "moist". I do remove the cellophane from my cigars, but that does remove a little protection when you shirt-carry, so you may want a case.
    Well, I guess we don't get to make fun of Burt's lifestyle anymore. Earl Bassett

Links