Survived Home Invasion This Weekend

This is a discussion on Survived Home Invasion This Weekend within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It was a close call, but we survived a home invasion this past weekend. It was pretty late and I was making the rounds, checking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Survived Home Invasion This Weekend

VIP Member

Survived Home Invasion This Weekend

It was a close call, but we survived a home invasion this past weekend. It was pretty late and I was making the rounds, checking the doors, etc, when the intruders burst in. There were too many to count and I was nearly over run. I quickly called out to my wife for re-enforcements. We laid down suppressing fire and gained fire superiority. Once we had the upper hand, the invaders were wiped out.

Who were the invaders you ask? Ants, ants, and more ants. Hundreds of them.

Our weapon of choice? Peppermint oil mixed with water.

The result? Kills on contact and creates a barrier that future ants don't want to follow. It is safe, non-toxic, and extremely effective.

I might consider the incident somewhat humorous, even if it is my house.
    TheGiant likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting. I didn't know about the peppermint oil. I've been putting down boric acid powder to try to keep out the roaches that seem to want in. They seem to really try to come in after a big downpour here in FL. I guess they get dug up from outside then decide it's cool if they crash in my place.

I believe peppermint oil is toxic to pets though, no? I don't own any though so I guess I am ok there.

My pest issues seem to go back and forth between ants and roaches. Spiders once in a while as well. I don't know what kind of ants I get, but they're the big ones. Sometimes they have wings, but usually, they're just the big type of ant. I think they might be carpenter ants. Sometimes I'll find baseboards that have been eaten away. I hope they're not eating the frame.

Two days ago I got up from my computer chair only to find a dead roach. I SAT ON A ROACH. I was kind of grossed out.

I hate roaches.

I did not know about the peppermint oil. I will have to try it. How much water and how much peppermint oil did you mix?

Me too! I'd like to have more information on that and where to buy it. Thanks...

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I've never heard of peppermint oil. Where do you get it? Wal-Mart? Hardware stores?

It sounds crazy but dishwashing liquid will kill them on contact too. You can put it in water and dilute it and kill them but I don't know how much you can dilute it by before it looses its effectiveness. I also don't know how safe it is around pets. We don't have any pets in the house so it never was a concern for me.

Home Remedy to Kill Ants

I have used the grits and soap. I may have to try the peppermint though it may be hazardous to my diet

Will Peppermint Schnappes work?
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep.. I've had some (cough cough) issues with ants too.. I always win the battle, but it seems they are winning the war. Either that or it is a stalemate.

10KT airburst, followed up with nerve gas and heavy infantry with air cover.

It is the only way to be sure.

Does the peppermint oil mix with the water or do you add a drop of detergent for an emulsifier?
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    At least your place will smell minty fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I've never heard of peppermint oil. Where do you get it? Wal-Mart? Hardware stores?

It sounds crazy but dishwashing liquid will kill them on contact too. You can put it in water and dilute it and kill them but I don't know how much you can dilute it by before it looses its effectiveness. I also don't know how safe it is around pets. We don't have any pets in the house so it never was a concern for me.
    Looks like you can get it at GNC stores, so I'd also assume most pharmacies would have it as well. Google comes up with plenty of sources.

I've successfully used laundry detergent with water (50/50) to kill off box elder bugs on the house siding. I wouldn't think that a soap mixture should be used indoors with pets, though. My Lab will (& has!) eat a bar of Irish Spring given the chance! He'd be licking the floor until he blew bubbles...

As far as pet toxicity for peppermint oil, I found this at the ASPCA: ASPCA | Peppermint Oil
    I wouldn't try it around my canines nor my felines.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know about the peppermint oil. I've been putting down boric acid powder to try to keep out the roaches that seem to want in. They seem to really try to come in after a big downpour here in FL. I guess they get dug up from outside then decide it's cool if they crash in my place.

I believe peppermint oil is toxic to pets though, no? I don't own any though so I guess I am ok there.

My pest issues seem to go back and forth between ants and roaches. Spiders once in a while as well. I don't know what kind of ants I get, but they're the big ones. Sometimes they have wings, but usually, they're just the big type of ant. I think they might be carpenter ants. Sometimes I'll find baseboards that have been eaten away. I hope they're not eating the frame.

Two days ago I got up from my computer chair only to find a dead roach. I SAT ON A ROACH. I was kind of grossed out.

I hate roaches.
    Cats specifically...works like a neurotoxin on them.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Terro "Ant Killer" from Home Depot, ants love it, it's a liquid you put onto small cardboard dots and place wherever you want them. They eat it and carry it back to the nest, whole nest will die. Warning, you have a few ants, put this down and you will have many, many ants for a short period. Just keep them fed and in a week or so, no more ants.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Have to look into these. We have been overrun with the tiny sugar ants this year.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Have to look into these. We have been overrun with the tiny sugar ants this year.
    For those guys, Windex works very well. It's not the cheapest solution, but it kills on contact if that's what you have handy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links