HAMAD seen from space

HAMAD seen from space

This is a discussion on HAMAD seen from space within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Billionaire sheikh carves his name in desert so big it can be seen from SPACE. . . Workmen scoured "HAMAD" into the sand on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: HAMAD seen from space

HAMAD seen from space

Billionaire sheikh carves his name in desert so big it can be seen from SPACE.

Workmen scoured "HAMAD" into the sand on the orders of Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan.

The name is two miles across — with letters a kilometre high. It is so huge that the "H", the first "A" and part of the "M" have been made into waterways.

The mega-rich sheikh, 63 — a member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi — in the oil-rich United Arab Emirates — boasts a £14billion fortune that is second only to the Saudi king's.

His fleet of more than 200 cars — including seven Mercedes 500 SELs painted in different colours of the rainbow — is housed in a custom-built pyramid.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    'Reminds me of the tower of Babel.

Reminds me of a self-important child suffering from something else that is exceedingly small so he must compensate by making something else exceedingly large...

The scale of this makes me think there is something that is less than a fourth the size of a Tic-Tac.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    If I had the money, I might do it. But, that's only after I bought all the ammo and 'toys' I wanted. And a few cars, and motorcycles- don't forget the motorcycles... Actually, that would probably be pretty low on the list. But, still, it would be kind of fun to be able to say 'it's so big, you can see it from space'....
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

that's one heck of a sandbox to play in...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Wealthy people who did not earn their wealth and still flaunt it always bother me.
    Erick46590 likes this.

I struggle with the idea of that amount of money. If I had that much my first thought would be to donate to some charities that I support. But in all honesty, I could support them alone for many years with just a "small" donation.

So maybe I would create my own charity. Personally, my passion is helping lower class people better life for themselves. Giving millions away to lower class people would actually have a negative impact on society. I think I would start a large organization that starts businesses and helps lower classes that WANT to better themselves get jobs at said businesses.
    I know there are organizations like that but I am simply saying that for me, having that much money makes life so much more complicated than it is when you have a medium amount of money. Of course, I'm not saying I wouldn't do it...its just harder.

Sorry to hijack the thread. More on key... I think this is a huge waste of money and as others have said; a result from a much much smaller problem. Maybe its a lack of moral clarity, maybe its a lack of conviction. It just seems like that money could be better spent somewhere else.

my .02

Addition: I agree with you. I have friends that are extremely wealthy..(edits out huge rant to be more concise.) People that did not earn their money by their sweat and tears do not appreciate those who do. (I am a valet, I see this DAILY) They also have no respect for items. because it didn't cost them anything personally.aka...sweat and tears. :)

EDIT: Adding response to previous entry.

I've always said that "I don't want to be filthy rich!", I only want to be a little dirty!
    msgt/ret, Erick46590 and Stubborn like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    The old saying "more money than brains" comes to mind...
    Erick46590 and msgt/ret like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    as are most holes in the ground in that part of the world, this one also will be filled with---latrine matter.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Keep letting the commodities brokers drive the price of crude up, he needs the money to do the rest of his name......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Something has been bugging me about this... Why is it written in English? Wouldn't you think it would be written in his native tongue, you know, the language in which his holy book is written? Furthermore, what will keep the sand from blowing back into the design and leveling it? Has this been verified as not being an altered photo?
    swiftyjuan and INccwchris like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Something has been bugging me about this... Why is it written in English? Wouldn't you think it would be written in his native tongue, you know, the language in which his holy book is written? Furthermore, what will keep the sand from blowing back into the design and leveling it? Has this been verified as not being an altered photo?
    Well, one thing is for sure. if it were written in Arabic it would be a lot more "squiggly" so it would have fewer straight lines and harder to do. But I doubt that was the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    A lot more people around the world know English than Arabic. This is clearly just a personal PR thing.

It looks like they are digging it to the depth of a canal.

Canals for sure. You can see how it looked a while ago on Google maps:

Look for: Al-Futaisi - Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates

Nice to see all that Oil Money go to worthwhile causes.

I'd rather see tens of thousands of Americans drilling HERE and all that money going into this country's economy.

The United States uses 21 million barrels of oil each day.

We import (mostly from countries that are not really our friends) 58% of that daily amount, (12.18 million barrels a day.)

At $ 97.00 a barrel (price determined by our enemies) that is about
    $ 1,185,479,400.00 per day that leaves our economy to go into unfriendly pockets.

Oh I'm sorry Washington, a better way to save our economy is to take away the mortgage interest benefit of home ownership.
    I wonder how many already tax stressed mortgage holders will have to default if that bone-head crap passes.

OMO and sorry for the rant.

BOSCO--Just had to use caps for this one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links