How to order a cocktail the way you make it at home?

This is a discussion on How to order a cocktail the way you make it at home? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 357and40 Glenlivet will work if you only have the cheap stuff. Oh. Snap... You just didn't go their......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How to order a cocktail the way you make it at home?

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Glenlivet will work if you only have the cheap stuff.
    Oh. Snap...

You just didn't go their...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm a martini drinker, and we're the worst (ask any bartender). We want it the way we want it, and that's that.

I got sick of sending back drinks that were incorrectly made (ie gin instead of vodka, olive instead of lemon twist etc.), so I decided to take drastic measures.

I had a small rubber stamp made up with my very simple favourite martini recipe on it. I then stamped the back of a bunch of my businss cards with the recipe. While going out, I simply give the card with the recipe to the server. This eliminates having to give him/her the instructions only for him/her to relay them to the bartender with or without errors.

Mrs. GB first thought this was tacky and arrogant but has come around. My martini arrives perfectly made, and the server/bartender gets tipped well. The servers/bartenders always seem to geta kick out the novelty of it too.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I'm a martini drinker, and we're the worst (ask any bartender). We want it the way we want it, and that's that.

I got sick of sending back drinks that were incorrectly made (ie gin instead of vodka, olive instead of lemon twist etc.), so I decided to take drastic measures.
    Hmmmm, I think I see your problem!

Classic Martini Ingredients

75ml (or approx 2+ 1/2 oz) GIN
    15ml (or approx 1/4 oz) Dry Vermouth
    1 green olive OR a twist of lemon peel
    6 ice cubes

Classic Martini Directions

Into a mixing glass, toss a handful of ice cubes (about half a dozen), then pour in the Gin and the Vermouth.
    Stir well. Some may prefer shaken!
    Strain and pour into a martini glass.
    To finish, either drop a green olive into the bottom of the martini glass OR arrange a twist of lemon peel on the edge of the martini glass.
    I guess the lemon twist is OK, but I think olives are better!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post

I had a small rubber stamp made up with my very simple favourite martini recipe on it. I then stamped the back of a bunch of my businss cards with the recipe. While going out, I simply give the card with the recipe to the server. This eliminates having to give him/her the instructions only for him/her to relay them to the bartender with or without errors.

Mrs. GB first thought this was tacky and arrogant but has come around. My martini arrives perfectly made, and the server/bartender gets tipped well. The servers/bartenders always seem to geta kick out the novelty of it too.
    I am simply dumbfounded by the number of bartenders who think extra dry means to add more vermouth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links