How to order a cocktail the way you make it at home?

This is a discussion on How to order a cocktail the way you make it at home? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't order cocktails typically when I go out to eat. I usually just order beer. Tonight I am going out to eat and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How to order a cocktail the way you make it at home?

I don't order cocktails typically when I go out to eat. I usually just order beer. Tonight I am going out to eat and I am in the mood for a cocktail. In the past I usually just order an Old Fashion or a Manhattan. I let the bartender make it their way and 9/10 I am dissapointed. I usually make about 6 Manhattans/old fashions a week for myself and I like it a specific way.

So is there a way to order a cocktail according to my way listed below and not come off as a picky jerk?

For example I like my manhattans as follows:
    2 ounces of Bourbon
    1/4 ounce of Sweet Vermouth
    1/4 ounce of Dry Vermouth
    cherry
    Shake in a cocktail shaker and strain into a glass. Garnish with cherry.

When I order manhattans, it always comes on the rocks :(

Also I usually just drink cheap bourbon at home.

Is there usually a huge price difference between a house Manhattan and say a Jim Beam or Makers Mark Manhattan which imo are low to mid priced Bourbons?

Yeah, you just walk behind the bar, push the bartender out of the way and say "Lemme show you how it's done!"

You might slap your pistol down on the bar for effect.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yeah, you just walk behind the bar, push the bartender out of the way and say "Lemme show you how it's done!"

You might slap your pistol down on the bar for effect.
    LOL. Maybe I will try that :)

VIP Member
    Just print out your recipe and give it to the bartender. Don't forget to tip.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

In all seriousness, I do all my drinking at the American Legion post. The drinks are stronger, cheaper, and they really don't get offended if you tell them how you want it because we all know each other.

Private clubs are the only way to go. Also, no one gets out of hand or stupid. (well, "out of hand" is a subjective term) but the likelihood of being robbed or in a lethal force encounter is way low on the scale.

I understand your dilemma though with regular restaurants and such.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What is so hard about running a snifter under hot water for 30 seconds, drying the glass, pouring a double shot of something single malt into it, putting a little splash of mineral water into the whiskey?

If that is to difficult, just pour the whiskey into a glass, give me a that, and a glass of mineral water and go away...

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    This is quite literally an appropriate time for you to say "shaken not stirred." In fact I would say "Manhattan- double bourbon, shaken not stirred-garnished with cherries please" If I learned one thing in college... it was how to order a drink.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    My perfect cocktail:

Bourbon + glass

Done.

Any questions?

OP,
    Situations vary, but I say just speak up. You can bet your last dollar that bartender makes custom drinks for the regulars all the time. Just tip generously.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Here is how I order a cocktail:

A double of Glenfiddich (at least 12 years old, preferably 18) and don't you dare put an icecube within three feet of the glass.
    Glenlivet will work if you only have the cheap stuff.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I like that, what bar tender or waitress wouldn't want to follow through on the request, happy customer = nice tip!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    S&W 640-3

Thermos
    WHEC724 and cammo like this.

I just order sweet tea...Sorry alcohol and me don't mix
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Start off with a good tip and they will be happy to help you.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Forgive me here, for I do not mean to offend, but I can't put gun in the same sentence as. Manhattan.

Sorry. Im a plank walker or old no. 7 rider.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Forgive me here, for I do not mean to offend, but I can't put gun in the same sentence as. Manhattan.
    With as hard as it is to get a NY CCP I totally understand
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links