Is it wise to do this?

This is a discussion on Is it wise to do this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; fro my state it is not illegal to transfer a firearm privately with no paper work.....everyone who has any sense of self-protection requires that the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is it wise to do this?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    fro my state it is not illegal to transfer a firearm privately with no paper work.....everyone who has any sense of self-protection
    requires that the buyer have a CCW and at the time of the sale, the seller phones the state police and gives his # and their numbers and gets a transfer
    number. should the gun be stolen or re-sold by him, the trail leads back to you but ownership does not.
    BP and pre 1895 have no rules but a cautious person will still get the transfer #---CYA.

so much for 'them' saying there is no registratio. but i will work with now rather than possibly fight later.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I am selling off several handguns and I have a couple of FTF transactions possible in the next couple of days. Is it wise to request a copy of the buyer's DL? People can change/make up fake email addresses, names and change mobile numbers so saving that information may not help should the gun be used to commit a crime. Having purchased all of these through an FFL my name will still be on the books if it is traced.

Should I ask and risk losing the sale or just sell it?
    First of all, if the guns you're selling are going through an FFL, the buyer will be NiCS-checked through the FFl. That'll pick up any past problems. Once the gun is transferred, then it's transferred. It's off your permit. You have no legal connection to that gun. If the transfer occurs Aug 1, and Aug 2 the buyer cuts down a whole street-full of people, it is not your gun. It has nothing to do with you.

If it is a private sale that requires no FFL, there still must be some some notification in your state to the state that you have sold the gun. You then take that paperwork to your permit office and the gun is taken off your permit - or, if you don't have firearm-specific permits, there is still a document with your state that this gun no longer is owned by you. And at that point, it is the same at I described above: you cease to have any connection legally to that gun. What the buyer does with it makes you no more responsible than what the buyer of your car does when he driving what is now HIS car.

Ask through your State or local permit office for your local process in transferring a handgun if it is a private sale and non-FFL.
    Otherwise if it's an FFL transfer, it's laid out and the FFL-process is what you will be following.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    First of all, if the guns you're selling are going through an FFL, the buyer will be NiCS-checked through the FFl. That'll pick up any past problems. Once the gun is transferred, then it's transferred. It's off your permit. You have no legal connection to that gun. If the transfer occurs Aug 1, and Aug 2 the buyer cuts down a whole street-full of people, it is not your gun. It has nothing to do with you.
    not in the state of SC. If you have a CWP, there is no phone call made to BATF. Your information is filed and that is it. My questions were concerning face to face sales where no calls or paperwork is required.

Issue has been resolved. Everything that is left is going on consignment with a new shop that is opening this week.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    not in the state of SC. If you have a CWP, there is no phone call made to BATF. Your information is filed and that is it. My questions were concerning face to face sales where no calls or paperwork is required.

Issue has been resolved. Everything that is left is going on consignment with a new shop that is opening this week.
    You don't go through a NICS check when you buy a gun? And for a private sale there is no notification of any kind that you no longer have the gun and that the buyer does? How could the police of the State trace a gun?

Sorry, you have your issue resolved so the rest is just my own confusion.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    You don't go through a NICS check when you buy a gun? And for a private sale there is no notification of any kind that you no longer have the gun and that the buyer does? How could the police of the State trace a gun?

Sorry, you have your issue resolved so the rest is just my own confusion.
    You get the NICs check while getting your permit and they use that for the purchase of a handgun. Regarding the trace, they can track the gun to the dealer the guns was originally shipped to and follow the paper trail till it goes to an end.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You get the NICs check while getting your permit and they use that for the purchase of a handgun. Regarding the trace, they can track the gun to the dealer the guns was originally shipped to and follow the paper trail till it goes to an end.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    what JD said.

Walleye it's still the same in SC as everywhere else if you do not have a carry permit and purchase from or receive a transfer through an FFL. NICS check is done. Face to face purchases require no paperwork by law, but from what others have said it is wise to get something you can file away "just in case".
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links