Is it wise to do this?

This is a discussion on Is it wise to do this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am selling off several handguns and I have a couple of FTF transactions possible in the next couple of days. Is it wise to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is it wise to do this?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Is it wise to do this?

I am selling off several handguns and I have a couple of FTF transactions possible in the next couple of days. Is it wise to request a copy of the buyer's DL? People can change/make up fake email addresses, names and change mobile numbers so saving that information may not help should the gun be used to commit a crime. Having purchased all of these through an FFL my name will still be on the books if it is traced.

Should I ask and risk losing the sale or just sell it?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

Definitely get a DL,if they don't want to give any personal info that should be a red flag that they probably aren't legally able to own a firearm,one way to get the firearm transferred is to find an FFL who will be willing to do a transfer for around $20.00 per gun figured into the selling price,anybody on the up and up shouldn't have a problem doing this.
    PS there are people that can legally buy a firearm that would rather do a FTF and not leave a paper trail just in case the world as we know it goes to hell
    Justified, msgt/ret and Spade115 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The paper trail issue is a huge issue now. I have them listed at ArmsList, and transactions here are FTF. Great site. I had interest in an offering within 3 hours of posting it, and the guy said he would have a friend in my area pick it up since he was out of town. Told him to have his friend bring a copy of his DL and haven't heard back. That was a flag for me, unless of course he hasn't been able to read his email.

Here is what I did:

In Clark County, NV (Vegas area) you must register firearm with Sheriff. It's a grandfathered clause that the state let Clark County keep..no where else in the state are you required to register. Anyway, I met the guy at a Sheriff substation. I made him go inside directly after the sale and register it. I would not give anyone else my ID if I was buying a firearm privately, so I figure why should I make someone else give me theirs. This was my solution, he had to register anyway, if he was legit, he should not have a problem. If he didn't want to..on to the next one.

Also what I did was take note of his car and plate. I also had a name based on the emails back and forth. So I put this info in a letter, along with a description of the guy, and mailed it to myself. When I got it, I did not open it, but stuck it in the safe. That way if it comes up used in a crime, I have some kind of back up saying I sold it, and a possible lead on who may have done it, with a date stamp from the post office. Idea I got from Front Sight on a different topic.

But, like I said, I wouldn't give my info to some guy, so I wouldn't expect someone to give me theirs. Besides, what would it do? You can't do a background check or anything anyway.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't let you copy my ID. I'd let you look at it but that's about it.
    Hopyard and packinnova like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

In my mind, it would give me traceable information as to who took ownership of the gun that particular day. An investigator won't just take my word for it that I sold it. If I can produce papers or some information about who bought it maybe it would keep my house from getting searched. I dunno. A check for payment would be traceable but I want cash.

BTW, here in SC nothing has to be registered, and a CWP holder doesn't have background checks done through BATF on FFL purchases.

Just looking to cover my butt if possible without losing a sale.
    Tzadik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I wouldn't let you copy my ID. I'd let you look at it but that's about it.
    Glad you said this. I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect from folks. If they have and let me look at their CWP it's a deal. But like you said, some may not want to give me a copy of it.

The problem with the above mentioned guy was that he was having a friend pick it up for him. That bothered me.

VIP Member
    I know I'm paranoid, but FTF transactions with total strangers just smells like bad juju to me (particularly if I'm the one that's selling the firearm). I'm not saying it's wrong or dumb, I'm just saying that it trips a few of my flags. I'd ask to meet in a police parking lot or some other very public place, and I'd have a friend accompany me.

If I were a criminal with no money and looking to score a quick firearm, a FTF transaction would be quite appealing. Be safe.

If you don't feel comfortable selling it to someone, which it appears with this guy you don't, don't sell it to him. The having the friend pick it up thing seems kinda fishy to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have bought a couple firearms off FTF deals (usually in parking lots of gun ranges or gun shows) No one has ever asked to see my ID. I have sold a couple as well and never asked. Just used my gut as to if this person was GG or BG. I would encourage you to do the same. If it feels hankey then it probably is. If guy wants to buy it he could buy it when he gets back into town.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    Personally I would want to see some form of ID plus have the buyer sign a bill of sale, also by North Carolina law the seller must obtain either a pistol purchase permit or copy of CCW and retain same.
    SIGP250 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I know I'm paranoid, but FTF transactions with total strangers just smells like bad juju to me (particularly if I'm the one that's selling the firearm). I'm not saying it's wrong or dumb, I'm just saying that it trips a few of my flags. I'd ask to meet in a police parking lot or some other very public place, and I'd have a friend accompany me.

If I were a criminal with no money and looking to score a quick firearm, a FTF transaction would be quite appealing. Be safe.
    I can have them meet where I work. Most BG's won't walk into a funeral home.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    As others have said, don't make a face to face sale if you have doubts. There actually are some Federal GCA laws that apply to unlicensed persons transferring firearms. One important reason to see a valid form of SC Id is because as an unlicensed person you are only able to transfer a firearm to another person in your own state (without an FFL). The law also states that in order for you to transfer a firearm you must not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal Law. [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30] I would ask to see a SC picture Id, exchange a bill of sale with date and signature. You can also take a further step to verify an address or phone number with some on line tools like www.beenverified.com.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    If the guy said a third party would pick up the gun the I'd run away from this deal. That sounds fishy and also sounds like some sort of straw purchase technique to me.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I am selling off several handguns and I have a couple of FTF transactions possible in the next couple of days. Is it wise to request a copy of the buyer's DL? People can change/make up fake email addresses, names and change mobile numbers so saving that information may not help should the gun be used to commit a crime. Having purchased all of these through an FFL my name will still be on the books if it is traced.

Should I ask and risk losing the sale or just sell it?
    I have never sold a firearm to someone I did not personally know without using an FFL. Just to CYA
    SIGP250 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links