Self Defense Spray

This is a discussion on Self Defense Spray within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would just throw it in here. I am looking online to find a good ...

Thread: Self Defense Spray

Self Defense Spray

I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would just throw it in here.

I am looking online to find a good self defense spray for my wife to throw in her purse. I am flying blind right now, and I was ready to make a purchase when I thought I might as well post something here and just make sure I'm not missing anything.

The only criteria I was looking for was 'small'. I know she's going to roll her eyes at me when I hand it to her, so I at least need to make sure there's no reason to not throw it into her purse! I think this is probably a no-brainer and anything will be better than nothing, but are there any brands/sizes/ingredients that you guys feel are a must? Probably the best way to ask this is "what do you buy for your wife?"

THANKS!

2. Remove Ads

My counterpart carries Fox Labs OC Spray. It comes in many sizes, including I believe a key chain version. Having carried OC spray on duty, as well as being guilty of having pepper spray parties with my friends, I can vouch for its effectiveness over other brands. Here's a link for educational purposes, no promises on price or vendor quality:

Fox Labs Pepper Spray 2 oz

There are a couple brands that are well thought of. I use Fox Labs for me and the wife. They have smaller and larger units depending on your preference.

Fox Labs International
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I pocket carry a small skunk.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Thumbs up for the fox labs spray. I sometimes carry the 2oz (stream not fog) spray in a comptac holster on my belt. Also keep the bigger 4oz fox spray in my door panel of my car.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

A bit of advice...

Buy two of whatever you DO decide to purchase. Experiment with one to KNOW how it works, and how far it really sprays.
    Also, when you (or the wife) do experiment with it...do it on a bit of a windy day. You will get some 'blow back'...can you handle it? You might as well see if you have a real defensive weapon, or something that is going to make you a 'better' victim.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Poleclimber9,

Something you and your wife should be aware of ,is that defensive sprays should not be viewed as a stopper, but rather a method to buy a segment of time for escape or other action. They may sometimes be a stopper, but that should not be counted on.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

First, Fox Labs is a good choice as is Sabre Red.

You need to check you state laws on any restrictions on the carry of pepper spray/teargas. Some states limit the % of active ingredient and some limit the total volume you can carry so check these first.

For someone who is not going to be training on a regular basis you should stick with the cone pattern over the stream. It is not easy to hit a fast moving target under stress with a stream and you have a far better chance of getting it where it counts with the cone pattern. It's also a good thing to get the flip top dispenser vs the cop top version. The flip top is extremely easy to use and has the benefit of being very forgiving if something in pocket or purse gets on top of the canister.

The Fox Labs 5.3 MK3 which is the 2 OZ version is a good size for carry. It's got enough to handle multiple assailants and give all a fair share. It has about a 15 foot or better range. The key chain versions are about .8 ounces and about a 10 to 12 foot range so you are limited on misses and number of attackers.

The number one thing to teach anyone who carries pepper spray is that once you have applied a generous dose to the bad guy, RUN! Do not hang around and watch the snot monster show. As tempting as it may be, you need to take advantage of the delay in the attach to get away.

As mentioned above, if you can afford it, get an extra or two so you can try it out when your not under stress so you can see the pattern and the ranges. Fox Labs has decontamination wipes that cut the effect time by about half and are worth the extra few bucks so grab some if you can afford it. Their called Sudecon wipes.

Don't forget to specify the cone pattern and not the stream unless you plan on regular training. The cone is NOT a mist or fog, it's more of a splatter pattern so don't worry that your going to fog out an area.

My wife carries the Fox labs personal pocket version on her keychain. I carry the same thing, sans key holder, in my pocket. I can attest to the serious burn and funky smell this will apply to someone. Unfortunately that someone was me, and it was dangerously close to some important parts. Don't hook it on your pocket and squat down a lot, just take my word. But in over 2 years carrying this style it's the only real issue I have had.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Take a look at Hotshot Pepperball. The HotShot™ Portable Protection Device
    Look around for the best price.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    +1 on the Sabre Red.

The Sabre Red keychain canisters are usually equipped with the ballistic spray nozzle - the liquid is dispensed in a stream. IMO, this is best for general use to reduce the chance of blowback during deployment.

Always test spray any product you get to familiarize yourself with its characteristics & to ensure proper function. The Sabre web site indicates that the Sabre Red .54oz keychain unit provides up to 25 one-second shots, & the product has an expiration date printed on it that is usually at least 4 years out.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

It's the Kimber Pepper blaster for me.. I have the older style, but same specs as the newer one....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links