Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email - Page 2

Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email

This is a discussion on Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can get quite a few of the books I want used from Amazon for $.01. But shipping is still $3-4. I would rather spend ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I can get quite a few of the books I want used from Amazon for $.01. But shipping is still $3-4. I would rather spend $5-6 in a locally owned, and independent used bookstore just to keep the money in town, versus sending it across the country. Not to mention walking out the door with it, instead or waiting for it to ship across the country..
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Yeh e-books are big. Sometime last year they started to outsell print books. I have an e-reader and I buy e-books when I can. Its not that I dont like reading print books its just at this point in my life I dont have time for teh clutter print boosk creates. I dont lik getting rid of books cause I liek to reread them so I have tons of book satm (in storage). My e-reader lets me have all my books at my fingertips an doesnt take up space. Maybe one day if I have a house with an extra room ill make a library and start buying print books again

I love books, bibliophile - if you will.
    B. Dalton's, Waldens were both a part of the Border's group.
    Yup, leave the demise to Amazon and e-books.
    Our Walden's left town when our local mall began sinking two years ago. There is 1 local place in town that essentially keeps NO inventory and has high prices. The closest B & N is an hour away.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

The only thing I dislike about ebooks is that you can't resell them. You always have to buy them new, for whatever price the retailer and publisher wants to charge. With popular paper books, you can often get a great deal on a gently used book compared to a new one.

Of course, ebooks have also opened up the publishing world to piracy, which wasn't too feasible with paper books.

There are quite a few local bookstores near where I live. I talked to an owner in June and he looked forward to Border's demise, of course. He is barely making ends meet and his wife works full time. He is already seeing an increase in business as some Borders closed here a few months ago. There's hope...

Local bookstores can do fine. Border's just got kicked in the kvickers and management slept through it. I blame management.

I love a good bookstore..the kind where you can spend an hour or two just wandering through looking for that secret treasure..the quaint book that's on no best seller list, but manages to strike your fancy anyway. You purchase your new treasure and hurry home to read it. You can't do that at Amazon. Eventually, there will only be one bookstore. It will be online. Everyone will read the same thing and we'll all think alike.

Epi
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I love a good bookstore..the kind where you can spend an hour or two just wandering through looking for that secret treasure..the quaint book that's on no best seller list, but manages to strike your fancy anyway. You purchase your new treasure and hurry home to read it. You can't do that at Amazon. Eventually, there will only be one bookstore. It will be online. Everyone will read the same thing and we'll all think alike.
    That's intellectually morbid.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    At the same time, ebooks make it easy for anyone to publish their material. So it could go the other way... a lot more material than there already is.

I love the local bookstore I go to... Patten Books on Manchester road is outstanding. Family owned, decent prices & great selection for the size of the place.

Staff at local Borders & Barnes and Noble never have been super helpful or knowledgeable...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    At the same time, ebooks make it easy for anyone to publish their material. So it could go the other way... a lot more material than there already is.
    It's not the publishing, it's the discovery..with e-books or whatever you have to be searching for something. Wandering through a bookstore, you just find something that strikes your interest. To me, there's a difference..but then I find a morning newspaper and a hot cup of coffee more satisfying than a shot of Five Hour Energy and a glance at my I-phone on the way out the door.
    MikeNice likes this.

Administrator
    I wont miss the jobless 20 somethings sipping designer coffee standing around pretending their smart with not enough money to actually buy a book, so they just pretend they've read it while sitting around looking stupid.
    packinnova and joker1 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't have an e-reader because I find zen in a printed book. I just go to the library. We have a computerized catalog that allows me to request and have delivered to my home library just about any book out there. If they don't have it, I can request a title and they will almost always purchase it to put it in the system. I only need to read a book once and return it, buying books leads to clutter.

I used my local Borders as a place to browse for what books I took out from the library and for magazines, I occasionally purchased clearance books.

I did go into Borders on Friday when I got the email and it was packed with a line to the back. People are funny that they will wait for 20 minutes to save 20% on a book.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I feel no sympathy for the demise of the megastore, even though I shop at them on occasion. In reality, the mom and pop bookstores were no more expensive, but had a small selection which is why they went by the wayside when Borders and such came to town. But as mentioned already, even the megastores end up switching over to the high volume on a smaller selection model, which might help them for a while but is what drove me to Amazon and other internet retailers. The selection of great technical, scientific, and diverse viewpoint publications is severaly lacking in these places, even though I do enjoy being able to browse and read through what they do have before I buy. My kid still loves going in, since she doesn't really have a clue what she wants to read until she gets there and browses. One interesting thing I've seen around here is that the popularity of used bookstores is surging. Back home where I grew up, the used bookstore was always my favorite place to go, not just for the ambience and that great mystical smell of old books, but because they had just so many books on every topic. I know I spent hundrends of dollars and trading in countless old books just so I could buy up there collection of computers, electronics and robotical engineering books, and that was just half of the good stuff I managed to get from them. When I first moved to this area, there was one local used (and new) bookstore that had a couple locations and that was it. Nice little hole in the wall bookstore, with maybe 80% used books. Now it seems three or four really big used bookstores have opened in neighboring towns. One of them seems to have nothing but crap that people threw out, but on close by is fairly large and has a really good selection of the basics, especially kids and young adult books which is great for the kid. I've yet to find any new or used brick and mortar bookstore that replicates the selection my old hometown favorite had. So the internet it is for me.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    BigFish,

Your post brings back memories. My home town had a mom and pop bookstore, too. It wasn't a large place, but had about 4 or 5 rooms and creatively arranged all the shelves like a maze. It had real atmosphere and an energy to it that is lost in the mega stores. They could also get anything that you wanted and would usually give you about 20% off for being a loyal customer. One unique feature was that the owner had a calico kitten, named smudge, at the store that would hide up in the shelves and swat at you as you walked by when it wanted attention. That was at least until a local lawyer came in, played with the kitten and got mad when it grabbed his hand and bit his finger (anyone who has had kittens knows that they play like this) and threatened to sue the store. The owner was terribly upset over the threat and I think that it contributed to her loss of passion for the job, which was barely making money, and it closed down shortly thereafter.

Another time I was in a village in the UK near the town of Oldham and much to my surprise came across a small book store. It was in the upstairs of a building that must have been ancient. I was amazed when I found some used paperbacks by one of my favorite authors at the time that I hadn't even seen on order lists here in the USA. Needless to say, I bought them.

As someone else has said, I won't miss the demise of the big-box retailers. What bothers me is the dead shell of the city that they leave in their wake. They consume and drive out all the small, trendy, market like business from down town areas and plazas, move farther out of town and consume large swaths of land and then abandon it. Wal-mart wanted to do that in the city I live in. They had a slightly smaller store at the north end of town and wanted to take over an abandoned lot that was once a Lowes or something like it (it was a flooring warehouse when I came to town) and they wanted to abandon the store at the north end of town. The city refused and told them that they needed to either operate both stores or neither, so when the new one opened up, they closed the old one for about a year and renovated it and added a grocery section. Now, while Walmart isn't my favorite place to begin with, it is a convenient place to stock up on certain items. The thing is that the one that they wanted to close has a completely different atmosphere than the "new" one. I attribute this mostly to the fact that it is in a more affluent section of town and this is even impacts the employees body language and how they hold themselves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links