Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email

This is a discussion on Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll miss Border's. It was th antithesis of B&N. There was a much more relaxed atmosphere, the selection was better, and their seemed to be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email

I'll miss Border's. It was th antithesis of B&N. There was a much more relaxed atmosphere, the selection was better, and their seemed to be more of a community feeling. The one near me had readings from local authors and small three piece jazz trios from time to time.

They also seemed less focussed on the small selection but high volume model. It was the first place I found a John Ringo book and they carried most of the Hard Case Crime publications. You could find Noam Chomsky, Neil Postman, Chalmers Johnson, and the flip side of the spectrum. They had authors that most people had never heard of tucked away beside the biggest names in the industry.

I think what I'll miss most is the memories. Me and my wife spent a lot of time in Borders. We didn't take up space at the coffee counter. We searched through the stacks. We laughed, we had great conversations. It was really our place more than any where else. A lot of good memories were made on date night by going to dinner and Borders.

Oh well I guess it will be off to the used book store and Amazon now. The B&N in my area has 300,000 books by 300 authors. At least that is how it feels.

2. Remove Ads

I prefer movies to books. Yes I can read, just hard to stay still for very long without the pretty moving pictures. I also no longer enjoy fishing and I doubt a career as a sniper is in my future.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links