Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email

This is a discussion on Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Borders Bookstore sent me an email last night saying goodbye, and thanking me for being a customer. They are liquidating their entire inventory at their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Received an Email from Borders Bookstore saying Farewell -- Image of Email

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Borders Bookstore sent me an email last night saying goodbye, and thanking me for being a customer. They are liquidating their entire inventory at their stores starting today, as they prepare to go out of business.

This will leave me without any decent bookstore nearby.

I guess that I will have to now buy all of my books at Amazon.com

Is Borders a victim of changing times, the bad economy, or both?? Are e-readers really going over that big?

VIP Member
    Wow. Every time I go into a Borders there are a bunch of people there.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The reason that Borders and Barnes and Noble are going out of business, is mainly because of Amazon and their brilliant business model. You can get free shipping, read inside the book, read reviews before you buy, wishlists and even sell your old books online. The brick and mortar bookstores are a thing of the past.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    The reason that Borders and Barnes and Noble are going out of business, is mainly because of Amazon and their brilliant business model. You can get free shipping, read inside the book, read reviews before you buy, wishlists and even sell your old books online. The brick and mortar bookstores are a thing of the past.
    while amazon has a lot to do with the end of borders, othere reasons are that borders never had a good online presence and the rise of kindle like readers that helped to do them in

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    The reason that Borders and Barnes and Noble are going out of business, is mainly because of Amazon and their brilliant business model.

Well, but Borders and Barnes and Noble put all of our locally owned bookstores out of business when they came into town.

So now with their demise, we are left with NOTHING!!!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    NOTHING can replace a bookstore. Especially a used bookstore; The smell.... takes me to a happy place every time.

...stupid e-readers...
    babyhulk likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'll admit... I buy all my books from Amazon and half.com. In fact, I bought around five books from Amazon recently, including the used books sold by individuals via Amazon. Combined with Amazon Prime, it's such a great deal and a huge convenience. I can also read all the reviews right there.

If I had an e-reader, I'd probably buy ebooks. But I can't justify that right now. Buying used books is just a lot cheaper. When I have more disposable income, I'll pick up a Nook Touch or Kobo Touch.

As an Amazon.com material handler, I have definitely noticed an upswing in books, DVDs, and CDs being processed since the announcement that Borders didn't have a buyer came out (along with fans and portable air coolers). I do machanized picking of larger stuff anymore, but from when I was on foot, I spent some time picking nothing but books and music, and the selection available was just incredible. It's definitely bad to see a company close, leaving all of those people out of work, but retail is changing.

I really like going places and buying things with green money. When I was in college, there was this great store that sold an eclectic collection of dvd's, cd's, and vinyl records. I used to go in there and find all sorts of criterion collection films, foreign films, and many cool albums. It closed last year. Yes, I can find all that stuff online, but it just isn't the same.

Bookstores are the same type of animal. Many people like to read off a kindle or ipad, but I like things old school. I really spend limited time on the internet, and I don't like buying things online. So many things have become obsolete in my lifetime...
    MikeNice likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    A big problem, for me at least, with brick and mortar stores like Borders is that they only have so much room for merchandise and they carry what is popular and what will turn over rapidly. Years ago, there was a borders in my home town and they had a very large section of books on science, math, engineering, and computers. I would go in there and browse for hours at those books, planning what I would like to buy when I could save up the money for it as many of them were expensive. As time went by, this area went from being several racks of shelves to part of one rack. Needless to say, I stopped going into the store because they didn't have what I wanted anymore. Of course, they were always happy to order it, but why would I order it from them at full retail price, pay shipping and tax, when I could go to Amazon?

I think their demise is a combination of changing times, changing markets, and a trend away from reading books. For me, electronic readers and PDFs on a computer just aren't the same and definitely not as easy to take to bed with you (I find reading for 15-30 minutes before going to sleep is a good way to calm the mind).

Senior Moderator
    When the Borders near me closed during the first round of closings, they had a sign on the door that said : "No bathrooms. Try downloading one on your Kindle."
    swiftyjuan, MikeNice and joker1 like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    When the Borders near me closed during the first round of closings, they had a sign on the door that said : "No bathrooms. Try downloading one on your Kindle."
    That's funny!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Well, but Borders and Barnes and Noble put all of our locally owned bookstores out of business when they came into town.

Yeah, that is a shame since most local bookstores usually have a nice small town charm. Nonetheless, customers now are more concerned with convenience, low prices and finding easily what they want. Therefore, most people buy eBooks or shop paper books at Amazon.com. I think the same trend will eventually happen in the future with electronics, toys and housewares.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

Perhaps the mom and pops will reappear to fill the void.

Borders had an 1995 business model in 2011.
    They overlooked the trend to e-books and online shopping.
    babyhulk likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links