Amy Winehouse

This is a discussion on Amy Winehouse within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fred died today. You probably didn't know Fred and were not aware that he had passed away. Fred's last known residence was a homeless shelter. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Amy Winehouse

Fred died today. You probably didn't know Fred and were not aware that he had passed away. Fred's last known residence was a homeless shelter. At one time, Fred served the United States as a soldier in Vietnam. But Fred had a tough time when he came home. The war was unpopular and people associated with the war were not very popular either. Fred had memories. In times past and wars past, troops were welcomed home and supported by friends and loved ones. It eased the pain of war. Fred had memories, but nobody wanted to hear about them. Fred wasn't a returning hero. He did what his country asked and in the aftermath he was treated like a pariah. So, Fred drank. It numbed the pain of being abandoned by his own country. Eventually the drink took over his life. Because of the drink, Fred couldn't hold a job or hold a marriage together. The drink that helped him cope with each new day was also the drink that killed him.

Fred died today. Just another homeless drunk.
    MikeNice, atctimmy and Stubborn like this.

2. Remove Ads

Strangely enough, there was a headline note today on my computer and I heard one on the news as well that said the authorities found no evidence of drugs or drug paraphernalia in her apartment and an autopsy was inconclusive.

Looking at her, I wonder if she might not only have been addicted to drugs, but been anorexic as well. If you remember Karen Carpenter from the singing group 'The Carpenters' years ago, she was known to have played with drugs, but in the end it was the anorexia that did her in. She died of a heart attack.

I think it will be some time before we know for sure what killed her.

I would be wondering why they didn't find any drugs or paraphernalia in a known addicts apartment,sounds like somebody cleaned house before they called it in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Fred died today. You probably didn't know Fred and were not aware that he had passed away. Fred's last known residence was a homeless shelter. At one time, Fred served the United States as a soldier in Vietnam. But Fred had a tough time when he came home. The war was unpopular and people associated with the war were not very popular either. Fred had memories. In times past and wars past, troops were welcomed home and supported by friends and loved ones. It eased the pain of war. Fred had memories, but nobody wanted to hear about them. Fred wasn't a returning hero. He did what his country asked and in the aftermath he was treated like a pariah. So, Fred drank. It numbed the pain of being abandoned by his own country. Eventually the drink took over his life. Because of the drink, Fred couldn't hold a job or hold a marriage together. The drink that helped him cope with each new day was also the drink that killed him.

WOW bud! Unbelieveable. If you change "Fred" to Jim, and "today" to Feb 1 2007, that story is the story of my dad and you explained it better that I ever could have. The bad thing is that the more we wanted to help him, the more he turned inward and removed himself...... anyway, thank you for the story.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post

I wish somebody would post this under and above every "poor celebrity" story. I pulled up this thread just to see why people even care if Amy Whinehouse is dead. I never expected to find something as great as this.

The man I consider my grandfather served in Vietnam. He volunteered for two tours with the First Cav out of Fort Hood. There was only two times I ever saw him cry. The first was when his father died. The second was when he talked of his treatment by fellow Americans after Vietnam.

His memories of that war and his treatment after he returned lead him to drink and drug. It took him 17 years to get over it and get his life straight. He spent the last twelve years of his life as a shining example of what a man should be. Unfortunately he paid the ultimate price for his country. Cancer caused by repeated exposure to agent orange took his life.

When I think of what he went through and what other veterans went through it breaks my heart. They stood up and did what was demanded of them. Many stood up with out being asked and volunteered so that other American's wouldn't have to face the draft. Then they came home to a country that discarded them and abused them. Those are men with real hard luck stories.

It makes me want to say, thank you soldiers for all you endure.

To <edit> with these spoiled rich kids that use fame as an excuse for bad choices. Their death should always be second to "Fred" in the paper.

That comes from a man that spent years in the music business.
    atctimmy and AZJD1968 like this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Was Michael Jackson's doctor in her area that day?

If it was indeed an overdose they have to wait for the tox report. Normal peoples reports take 6 weeks. Autopsy on an overdose usually is inconclusive.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    WOW bud! Unbelieveable. If you change "Fred" to Jim, and "today" to Feb 1 2007, that story is the story of my dad and you explained it better that I ever could have. The bad thing is that the more we wanted to help him, the more he turned inward and removed himself...... anyway, thank you for the story.
    Sorry to hear about your dad. I was lucky when I came back in 1970. Tennessee never really got into the anti-war movement with the intensity that some other states did. I ran into a lot of veterans of WWII and Korea and old soldiers always welcome returning soldiers regardless of the particular conflict. Some of my buddies weren't that fortunate. I've heard the stories of being spat upon and called baby killers. None of that ever happened to me, but I can imagine that it would weigh heavily on you if it did. The military teaches you a lot of good things, but it teaches you bad things also. A lot of young people learn to drink in the military. At that time 18 was legal drinking age and there's nothing like a bunch of buddies to break the newbie in. Nobody sets out in life with the goal of becoming an alcoholic or a drug addict. But once that genie is released from the bottle, some people are never able to get it back in.

Thank you for your condolences and for your service! Im glad that you had that kind of experience.

The more the era and the people change, the more their memories and the memories of them fade. He had some AWESOME stories..... good and bad.

&#x202a;Poison - Something To Believe In&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Well I see him on the TV
    Preachin' 'bout the promise lands
    He tells me believe in Jesus
    Steals the money from my hands

Some say he was a good man
    Lord I think he sinned, yeah

Twenty-two years of mental tears
    Cries a suicidal Vietnam vet
    Who fought a losing war on a foreign shore
    To find his country didn't want him back

Their bullets took his best friend in Saigon
    Our lawyers took his wife and kids, no regrets
    In a time I don't remember
    In a war he can't forget

He cried "Forgive me for what I've done there
    Cause I never meant the things I did"

Chorus:
    And give me something to believe in
    If there's a Lord above
    And give me something to believe in
    Oh, Lord arise

My best friend died a lonely man
    In some Palm Springs hotel room
    I got the call last Christmas Eve
    And they told me the news

I tried all night not to break down and cry
    As the tears rolled down my face
    I felt so cold and empty
    Like a lost soul out of place

And the mirror, mirror on the wall
    Sees my smile it fades again

Chorus

Sometimes I wish to God I didn't know now
    The things I didn't know then
    Road you gotta take me home

Solo

I drive by the homeless sleeping on a cold dark street
    Like bodies in an open grave
    Underneath the broken old neon sign
    That used to read JESUS SAVES

A mile away live the rich folks
    And I see how they're living it up
    While the poor they eat from hand to mouth
    The rich drinkin' from a golden cup

And it just makes me wonder
    Why so many lose, and so few win

Chorus

You take the high road
    And I'll take the low road

Yes Sometimes I wish I didn't know now
    The things I didn't know then

And give me something to believe in, yeah

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    even as a teenager hearing that song I could feel the heartache he was singing about and knew what it was all about.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    My we are literal, aren't we? So, excuse me, TWO DAYS EARLIER.... It doesn't change the point.
    Well, but what you said was not true. A solider did not die that same day as you falsely claimed. So why would his death be news on that specific day? It was news a couple of days earlier, and was indeed reported by the press.

The truth does matter, and what you said was clearly false.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Opened my web browser today & this was a top news headline on yahoo. 27 year old singer found dead....

I can not say I am shocked or even slightly surprised.

A few quotes from now dead musicians:

Rick James said: "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
    Dee Dee Ramone: "When you're hooked on heroin, don't you know you'll never win."
    Kurt Cobain: "Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. "

Do we see a trend here?

People who use synthetics (Cocaine, Heroin, Crack...) tend to make negative headlines.
    Sorry for Hijacking your thread bud.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links