Making the switch to Direct TV!! Have a few questions.

This is a discussion on Making the switch to Direct TV!! Have a few questions. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been with Comcast for about 7 years. I don't have many complaints about them except they are expensive and the I have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch to Direct TV!! Have a few questions.

I have been with Comcast for about 7 years. I don't have many complaints about them except they are expensive and the I have to reset the modem and router about 3 times a month. Every time I call them to cancel they always discount my services BUT never as low as Direct TV.
    My neighbors all have Direct tv and love it. They say it rarely goes out. I also like the fact that I can get an HD receiver and a HD DVR which can record up to 4 shows at once. I can also watch the DVR from other tvs. Also I can hook up my external hard drives to their dvr. Comcast wants something like $15 for the second HD receiver. Also Direct TV has the Big Ten Network for free plus a free year of the NFL thing.

So here are my questions:

1) Is it cheaper to order Direct Tv through Direct TV or AT&T? (Prices were a bit different when I spoke to each)
    2) Can my neighbor get the referral discount ($100 off both our bills) if I sign up (AT&T said only through Direct TV but I wouldn't be able to get their other specials if I get the referral discount)?
    3) After 1 year, the prices will increase to about what I pay for Comcast. DirectTV said to just call them and they will easily give me whatever their current promotion is. Is this true??

To put it simply, DirectTV would save me about $40 a month plus more features (HD on two tvs, Big Ten Network, can record up to 4 shows on DVR, capabilty of hooking up externeal hard drive to dvr). The only downside is that I will go from a 12mbs internet connection to a 3 mbs connection. As long as my Netflix streaming still works, I don't care about the slower speeds.

VIP Member
    You need to remember that Direct TV is satellite TV and as such is more vulnerable to interference from weather conditions. Proper positioning of the satellite dish is required for receiving maximum signal, a shift of even 1 or 2 inches can cause loss of signal. If you go with it, I would suggest that you put alignment marks on all movable parts. That way if for some reason you lose signal, you can check the marks and see if your dish has shifted and if so, reposition it to the original settings.

3) After 1 year, the prices will increase to about what I pay for Comcast. DirectTV said to just call them and they will easily give me whatever their current promotion is. Is this true??
    Don't count on it UNLESS they are willing to put it in writing. They're sales people are there to do 1 thing....make sales. They will tell you what you want to hear to make the sale. Without having it in writing, you have nothing to prove the promise was made.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

We had to get DirectTv for the first year that we were in our current home. That was enough, No one in my area liked the reception are internet. Long story short our community banned together and petitioned Time Warner Cable monthly for service in our area. We now have cable. I imagine our reception problems with DirectTv were secondary to all the trees around my home (even after we cut down 200) and the net was just slooooow.

My neighbors all say their Direct Tv signal is good and it rarely goes out only in a really hard downpour.

Also if Direct Tv prices go up after 12 months, it still is cheaper than Comcast's (I don't want to loose your business special pricing) price.

I rarely lose service on my DirecTV unless as mentioned,pouring rain. I have been happy with the customer service also. They haven't offered to change my promotional discounts unless my 2 yr re-signing period was expired though. all in all I like em.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

They all have pluses and minuses. Be glad you don't have Charter as your only choice (I will not cut down trees!) Ranked last by Consumer Reports for Cable TV, Phone, and Internet. In my area if someone spits on the sidewalk in town the cable goes out. One city has already started its own system, but the rest of us are stuck with paying Charter's increasing bill.

I got fed up with the TV image freezing and called DirectTV to come fix the problem. After numerous reboots and software updates the problems continued and they said I had to pay for a technician to come out and troubleshoot. I cancelled the service and went with AT&T uVerse, so far so good. By the way, I had already tried Dishnetwork and Comcast, they were both poor service and expensive too.

Sent from the Galaxy via Tapatalk

I was so happy when I moved to Katy to get away from Comcast. We got Time Warner when I moved in. Two months later they announced that Time Warner had sold the area to Comcast! After losing internet connectivity for about a week I pulled the boxes and went to the Comcast office to turn them in. Out of about fifteen of us standing in line three were switching to Dish Network and the rest to Direct TV.

You will lose signal during heavy rains or on occasion just from a very very dense cloud. While your signal is interrupted by weather it is a great time to watch and clean out the DVR. One of the advantages to satellite service is that after Ike I was able to hook up my back up power to my box and TV and watch while the neighbors were waiting for wires to be restrung.

As far as the best price I think it all depends on what you are bundling together. We ended up switching to AT&T U-verse a couple of months ago because we plan on dropping our home phone line. No phone line, no DSL. U-verse was able to give us just internet and TV service. Function wise I must admit I do miss my Direct TV. When I called to cancel they made some very tempting offers but I was already under contract for the new service.

As a side note it appears I am not the only one who has been describing stuff as "Comcastic" in ways that do not follow the intent of that advertising campaign.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    From one who is getting ready to get rid of Directv after 10 years, this is a large bag of natural male bovine fertilizer. They will give you something better than you have but not as good as a new customer.

I had directv in Arizona and I loved it. Arizona doesn't really get a lot of rain so losing service wasn't really an issue. The only time I lost service was when their was an incident at my neighbors and a cop bumped my dish.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

I wish I could get Uverse but it isn't in my area.

Even if they don't give me new customer pricing, it still will be lower than Comcast and I will have more features.

Dont forget Dish network..They have what you want, and are less money than Direct Tv. They also have a price guarantee.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I've had mine for 12yrs now and have had no complaints. Just upgraded to HDTV last year and that's nice too.
    The only thing that one may consider bad is that if there is a very bad storm out with thick clouds it can chop up or stop reception until it clears.
    IMHO if the storm is that bad you really need to be in your safe place anyway!

I also have had Direct TV for many years. Been very happy with the service. We moved, and they came out and ran 3 new hook ups in the house. I do have the maintenance contract, and have had them come out 3 times to fix some wiring problems. No charge any time. We have HDTV and DVR. As has been previously stated, during heavy rain, or a storm to the south that blocks the line of sight to the satellite, you may experience some signal loss. We have Time Warner cable in the house, but have only telephone and internet on that. At one time I tried satellite internet, but was not happy with the speed.

Here in the Jacksonville area, summer rain nearly every afternoon that is heavy enough to kill the signal was enough to drive me away from DirectTV. Seeing that you are in Georgia, I'm thinking that may be true in your area as well ...

Comcast is expensive and their CS sux, but it very rarely goes away
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links