Finally, my Jeep Wrangler Death Wobble fixed (I hope)

This is a discussion on Finally, my Jeep Wrangler Death Wobble fixed (I hope) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My Death Wobble problem finally appears to be solved. To recap - Bought my used 2006 Wrangler and drove fine first few months. Tires appeared ...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

My Death Wobble problem finally appears to be solved.

To recap - Bought my used 2006 Wrangler and drove fine first few months. Tires appeared to be original with a little tread left - still looked good. Drove and handled GREAT!

Then helping friend get outta a mud hole spun all 4 tires for a long long time before finally got him out.

Since then I had the occasional DW. Very violent at times.

Changed the steering stabilizer and seemed to help but still had the DW from time to time.

Had tires rotated and front end aligned - Still the DW

Took to Steves Off Road (Local Jeep dealer even sends theirs to him when they can't figure it out)

Steve found a slight problem with tracking bar being loose - just a little but didn't see anything else so replaced that.

Still the DW - started getting worse, more often, more violent.

After reading lots of others comments on their DW in various Wrangler forums and talking to a few Jeep folks and tire experts - I went ahead and replaced all 4 with new Firestone Destination A/T's.

I looked at the inside of the old tires and noticed in a couple a little "wave" or slight roller coaster look where it should have just been smooth all around inside. Outside looked fine.

Tire guy said that's what they call "separation" and it can cause a butt load of problems including the DW.

Immediately after driving away the Jeep felt great. It'd even got where it drove rough on smooth road but now drives great again.

Driving past few days on all kinds of surfaces, smooth, bumpy, different speeds - all appears to be okay now.

Whew, Glad that's over (hope it is anyway). As time goes on and each day "no wobble" I feel better and better.

May want to keep this in mind if you come across anyone else with same problem and everything else looks fine.
    For God, Family and Country!

I fixed the death wobble on my jeep too, I got rid of it and bought a Tacoma

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I fixed the death wobble on my jeep too, I got rid of it and bought a Tacoma
    LOL. I did the same thing with a motorcycle. I used to have a V-Max. It was crazy-fast, but had a short rake and prone to the occasional "tank slapper". Probably one of the scariest things I've experienced.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Glad to hear that it was just the tires that were the problem.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Happy you got it fixed before you had an issue with it! Enjoy.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

if it ever comes back you need new ball joints. they are a pain in the you know what to change and will have you cussin and throwing wrenches long before you are done, but replacing them will help. Buy the most expensive ones you can find, MOOG is a good brand and they arent really that much money but dont skimp on something that is a safety item.

to see if yours need replacing place a jack under the axle tube and lift the axle until the tire on the side you are working on is a few inches off the ground, then using a pry bar or crow bar or something like that, wedge under the tire as if you were trying to life it with a simple lever. if your tire moves up even the slightest you need to replace them.

hope that explanation was not too confusing

had to replace all 4 on my Jeep TJ every year due to the larger tires, so i know just how death wobble at any speed can make you feel

Quote Originally Posted by tdavidson48 View Post
    if it ever comes back you need new ball joints. they are a pain in the you know what to change and will have you cussin and throwing wrenches long before you are done, but replacing them will help. Buy the most expensive ones you can find, MOOG is a good brand and they arent really that much money but dont skimp on something that is a safety item.

to see if yours need replacing place a jack under the axle tube and lift the axle until the tire on the side you are working on is a few inches off the ground, then using a pry bar or crow bar or something like that, wedge under the tire as if you were trying to life it with a simple lever. if your tire moves up even the slightest you need to replace them.

hope that explanation was not too confusing

had to replace all 4 on my Jeep TJ every year due to the larger tires, so i know just how death wobble at any speed can make you feel
    Why don't you just put in a steering conversion and get rid of that weak link steering system?

Glad to hear you got it taken care of! I have yet to encounter any death wobble on my Jeep.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Why don't you just put in a steering conversion and get rid of that weak link steering system?
    I think you might be confusing ball joints with tie-rod ends. In a steering system yes, the tie-rod ends may wear out and cause death wobble and it is possible to replace these with something else to improve steering such as heim joints. But yes it could be that the steering system is sloppy and thus causing the death wobble. Currie Enterprises makes a heavy duty steering kit for Jeep that i have had on mine for over 3 years with no problems what so ever, while steering 37 inch tires.

the only way that you could convert away from ball joints would be to switch axle assemblies to an axle that uses king pins such as those found under the front of 60's and 70's era Fords.

Quote Originally Posted by tdavidson48 View Post
    I think you might be confusing ball joints with tie-rod ends. In a steering system yes, the tie-rod ends may wear out and cause death wobble and it is possible to replace these with something else to improve steering such as heim joints. But yes it could be that the steering system is sloppy and thus causing the death wobble. Currie Enterprises makes a heavy duty steering kit for Jeep that i have had on mine for over 3 years with no problems what so ever, while steering 37 inch tires.

the only way that you could convert away from ball joints would be to switch axle assemblies to an axle that uses king pins such as those found under the front of 60's and 70's era Fords.
    I have owned, built myself, and rock crawled the jeep CJ, YJ, and TJ..... I am not confusing anything. It is a mickey mouse crossover steering system that is weak and should be replaced with a beefier conversion if you plan on running larger than stock tires. With those 37's I would be more concerned about getting rid of the small axles and other drivetrain components under there if you plan on doing any serious rock crawling, but they look great on the street.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    but they look great on the street.
    Mallcrawler.

Good luck with the DW. I also have an '06 TJ, and had a similar problem while still under warranty. Dealer was absolutely stupid about it, put in a new steering box, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. Still had the problem and they told me I needed new tires. Put new tires on and the problem went away for awhile. It is now back but not as violent as before. Only seems to happen around 52 mph, and it will stop if I accelerate right on past that point.

Jeep is currently stock so there should be no steering alignment issues, etc.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

My son's DW fix required a 'new' front axel.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links