Pitbulls......

This is a discussion on Pitbulls...... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by bbqgrill I am with you Tim, I hate them but, honestly my hatered is driven from guilt by association. Near me only ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Pitbulls......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I am with you Tim, I hate them but, honestly my hatered is driven from guilt by association. Near me only the lowest filth of humanity choses pit bull as their pet; other areas of the country are obviously different. I associate pits with thugs, drugs, cruelty and crime.
    Me too. I can't say that all Pitt Bull owners are bad but the dirtbags really gravitate towards the breed.

I have been bitten three times in my life. Once as a child I was mauled badly and spent time in the hospital. Twice as an adult I've been bitten. So I have a healthy respect for the power of a large aggressive dog. Sure I may be biased or "doggy prejudiced" but it is what it is and I carried the scars to back up my feelings. For the record all three times I was attacked was by a GSD. I don't like them either.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Before I give my opinion, let me just say that this topic is stale and old... the same arguments have been made over and over, and these threads never end up anywhere useful.

Now, let me tick off some people.

I have no real opinion on the dogs themselves. I've met nasty ones, and I've met some really cool pits. About the breed in general, I have to ask... what do they excel at? I understand that if you own one, you love it. Thats cool, I would too. But what are they good at? Do they hunt? Are the good companion animals? What? Every good attribute people give them that I've read here in all the pit bull threads, can be done and probably better by another breed of dog. So, the question is, why a pit bull?

Let me attempt to answer my own question. Pop culture... ever since pits have been showing up in rap videos in the late 90's, the breed has become far more popular that its ever been in recent history. Unfortunately for the breed, its a status symbol for the undesirable element of society. Yup. Thats what I said. You'll find more pit bulls in the section 8 housing than any other breed now. That is where the problem starts. Irresponsible owners with a potentially dangerous breed of dog... thats not a good mix at all. Now, we have a ton of pit bulls that end up in shelters and rescues. Who takes those dogs? Normal folks looking for a dog. There is nothing wrong with that, its just the way it is.

Now lets look at the media and uneducated people; just like the media and uneducated calls every semi automatic pistol a "Glock", they call every dog on the loose a "pit bull". I cant tell you how many calls of a "pit bull" terrorizing neighborhood kids I've been on, only to find "Ranger the Golden Retriever" bounding around trying to play with the kids. People are just generally ignorant, and the breed pays the price.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 26th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
    INccwchris likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Before I give my opinion, let me just say that this topic is stale and old... the same arguments have been made over and over, and these threads never end up anywhere useful.

Now, let me tick off some people.

I have no real opinion on the dogs themselves. I've met nasty ones, and I've met some really cool pits. About the breed in general, I have to ask... what do they excel at? I understand that if you own one, you love it. Thats cool, I would too. But what are they good at? Do they hunt? Are the good companion animals? What? Every good attribute people give them that I've read here in all the pit bull threads, can be done and probably better by another breed of dog. So, the question is, why a pit bull?

Let me attempt to answer my own question. Pop culture... ever since pits have been showing up in rap videos in the late 90's, the breed has become far more popular that its ever been. Unfortunately for the breed, its a status symbol for the undesirable element of society. Yup. Thats what I said. You'll find more pit bulls in the section 8 housing than any other breed now. That is where the problem starts. Irresponsible owners with a potentially dangerous breed of dog... thats not a good mix at all. Now, we have a ton of pit bulls that end up in shelters and rescues. Who takes those dogs? Normal folks looking for a dog. There is nothing wrong with that, its just the way it is.

Now lets look at the media and uneducated people; just like the media and uneducated calls every semi automatic pistol a "Glock", they call every dog on the loose a "pit bull". I cant tell you how many calls of a "pit bull" terrorizing neighborhood kids I've been on, only to find "Ranger the Golden Retriever" bounding around trying to play with the kids. People are just generally ignorant, and the breed pays the price.
    I was waiting for you to jump in here. Well said.

Now lets close this thing already.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

VIP Member
    I find myself in total agreement with SIXTO at an alarming rate these days.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dragongtr View Post

Becarefull spreading the hate because if they can outlaw pitbuls, it's only a matter of time before they can outlaw our self defense and collectible weapons.

If you choose to give up one right you might as well give them all up....
    Where is it written that it is your right to own a particular breed of dog? Not to mention, it likely would not be illegal but you'd have to do it within certain regulations.

For instance, my husband and I have been considering obtaining an exotic cat. Our state has specific exotic pet licensees that must be obtained along with certifications that the animal has come from a reputable breeder, been cared for properly, etc.

Some states have further regulations on exotic pets to include the type of "housing" you need to keep them in, etc.

My point is that the regulation of animals (especially those considered "dangerous" or exotic) is not new in this country and there is no constitutional right to owning an animal.

Conversely, there IS a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I'm not sure you can accurately compare losing the right to own a particular breed of dog (without regulation) with losing the right to keep and bear arms.

All that being said, I have nothing against the pit bull in general. My most devastating run in with dogs included a St Bernard. He was well taken care of, a good dog from a good family and then he just turned and started attacking people in the neighborhood (including me, twice and a trailer full of people, my Dad and a police officer).

I have a healthy respect for dogs in general.. and any animal capable of killing me.

Animals are animals. It's just that simple.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Where is it written that it is your right to own a particular breed of dog? Not to mention, it likely would not be illegal but you'd have to do it within certain regulations.

For instance, my husband and I have been considering obtaining an exotic cat. Our state has specific exotic pet licensees that must be obtained along with certifications that the animal has come from a reputable breeder, been cared for properly, etc.

Some states have further regulations on exotic pets to include the type of "housing" you need to keep them in, etc.

My point is that the regulation of animals (especially those considered "dangerous" or exotic) is not new in this country and there is no constitutional right to owning an animal.

Conversely, there IS a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I'm not sure you can accurately compare losing the right to own a particular breed of dog (without regulation) with losing the right to keep and bear arms.
    Adding to what Lima has said, it's not a similar comparison. A firearm is an inanimate object that has no will of it's own. Animals are living creatures that can and do disobey the will of their owners. It is not even close to the same thing.
    limatunes and AZJD1968 like this.
    Mark Twain:

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I find myself in total agreement with SIXTO at an alarming rate these days.
    You must be getting smarter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My first Pitt encounter was my uncles dog. Great, friendly dog. Ended up, my mother's toy poodle threatened her. The poodle ended up with 14 stitches to hold her together, and all but one of her puppies died. Bad encounter.

The next encounter (many years later) was with my friend's Pitt. Beautiful, all white dog. Within 20 minutes of the first time I met her, she was curled up in my lap in a chair on her back wanting nothing more than a belly rub. The only reason this dog has ever been aggressive is because of the neighboring dogs- a pack of German Shepherds that have attacked other dogs from 'her' pack. One of those Shepherds is missing a foot, another missing ears, and I think a couple missing eyes. She will not bother them unless they are in her yard. But, she also has scars from where they've attacked her. A lot of them. She just fights better then they do when she gets attacked.

After that, I found a Pitt/Boxer mix on the side of the road. I still have him. He's a beautiful, smart dog. He's ever only showed aggression twice; scared the mess out of my uncles poodle that was trying to be alpha (even though he's not alpha- my mother's dog is alpha). And, the other week, he managed to get out of the fence and ended up fighting another dog- the other dog showed aggression first, and he reacted. He didn't get hurt, the dog he was biting didn't get hurt badly. But I did; lost a good chunk out of the pad of my thumb trying to break them up. But, the rest of the time, he's one of the most loving dogs I've ever known.

So, I don't have anything against Pitt-Bulls. I think, like any other dog, the problem- or lack thereof- is in how you raise them. But, Chihuahuas, Toy Poodles... I can't stand them. They may be small, but they're mean.

---------------------------------
    It seems like a few more people have posted while I was typing...

I know a lot of people have Pitt Bulls because of what they see in movies/videos- mean, vicious dogs that all the 'coolest' rappers have. I've never 'wanted' a Pitt, but when we found this one, I figured it was a good opportunity to raise one to show people that they're not all bad. (Especially my mother) And, I've done just that. She now loves him. I got my Pitt/Boxer by chance, and he's been a wonderful dog, that I love very much.
    He's an alright guard dog, not because he barks, but because he gets happy whenever someone is at the door- a good chance for more petting. But, he's a part of my family, and, it doesn't matter to me whether he's a good guard dog- his presence is enough to keep most people away, because they don't know how friendly he is- it's just 'that's a big dog... I don't wanna mess with that.' Works for me.
    Attached Images
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    You must be getting smarter.
    Now you're baiting me for an infraction

Having been attacked by one, I personally don't have any use for them. Naturally, most of the people who own these animals don't have any liability insurance or anything else in the way of assets, so your medical bills become your own responsibility when their "beloved family pet" decides to go Cujo on someone.
    BugDude likes this.

OD*
    ever since pits have been showing up in rap videos in the late 90's, the breed has become far more popular that its ever been.
    On that you are wrong. At the turn of the 20th century and into the 1930s, APBTs were the most popular breed in the US. They were used as propaganda in WWI.

The most decorated war dog in history was a Pit, Stubby. Yes, that is General “Black Jack” Pershing.

The first dog to cross the continental Untied States in an automobile was a Pit, Bud.

People had their children photographed with them.

Even Helen Keller owned a APBT.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    On that you are wrong.
    As a history and dog buff, I'm well aware of the history, but I'm talking about the different elements of society that did not exist back then.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As a history and dog buff, I'm well aware of the history, but I'm talking about the different elements of society that did not exist back then.
    And that would be the winning answer..It really is a sad part of society...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

OD*
    Gotcha, I was talking about this one comment, "the breed has become far more popular that its ever been" which is incorrect.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Cool post OD. I was not aware of the Pitts rich history. I will no longer hate them. I will now very strongly dislike them.
    Mark Twain:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links