Gun inheritance

This is a discussion on Gun inheritance within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hardly a new subject but - thought I'd dip a toe in the water here as we have gotten so large now. My wishes are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun inheritance

Assistant Administrator

Gun inheritance

Hardly a new subject but - thought I'd dip a toe in the water here as we have gotten so large now.

My wishes are that my son takes his pick of what I have - which means he would possibly like a dozen or so.

Assuming I pre-decease my wife then she also would keep what she wanted. The rest would be sold for values close to what I have listed on my inventory sheets. Part of my collection is intended to provide cash to funeralize me and have some left over.

Sadly my daughter, being in UK - no options for her, more is the pity.

So - older folks - your plans for your ''friends''?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

My youngest daughter is US Army Band, she shoots as well as she plays the keyboard and piano. I'm figuring she'll want a few or maybe all.

VIP Member
    I've just started thinking about this recently, and am planning on getting a will figured out at some point in the near future.

One son, one nephew, a couple of nieces, some friends...fortunately, there are enough guns to go around...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I plan on taking them with me. You know burried in their own casket under mine. then after they have outlawed all guns and destroyed all they can find, my decendants can dig up my grave and arm the revolution.

4 children, 10 grand children and first great grand child on the way - Dam*-What better excuse to buy more guns
    Thanks for the thought guys :)

My cousin would get his pick of 1 pistol. The rest would be sold for funds given to my mother to further her meager income.

VIP Member
    Being my oldest daughter spouse is not responsible enough to any look in the direction of any gun and my youngest daughter dislike of guns, they will go to my brother-in-law to sell. He is a FFL holder. The money can go toward my funeral.

Interesting topic - I inherited my grandfathers guns when he passed away in 1958, although I was only 8 at the time. My dad kept them for me. I inherited my dad's when he passed away in 2002. My son will inherit all of them plus those that I add over the years from me. What an inheritance to leave for future generations.

One of the rifles I inherited from my grandfather is a Model '94 in 38-55 that belonged to my great-grandfather. It has some notches and carving in the stock that I have no idea what they mean, but it is sure a great conversation piece.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have life insurance to take care of my funeral/remains disposal...
    I intend on passing any firearms and instruments to my son, however I know how things can come up "missing" when someone passes, so what I want may never happen....
    I have given my Dad charge to see that guns / guitars go where they are supposed to if I go before he does and really hope there is no fighting over whats left of my "stuff" once I'm gone....
    Lost my Mom last December and all I have from her are things she gave me while alive (letters, etc...) pictures and memories.... The rest was fought over and taken by her sisters and mother and my cousins.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

The only problem that I have encountered in this area is listening to my son and grandson tell each other which gun they want when the old man meets his final reward. It is OK until they get to the point that they both want the same weapon. About that time it is time to shut the gun safe and go watch Mail Call on the History Channel. My solution to the conundrum is to let them choose one gun apeace in rotation until they have chosen the last one. The grandson does get his maternal great grandfathers Browning Sweet 16. One fine shotgun even if ammo is hard to find.

I don't have any children, most likely never will. My only brother also has no children but he's younger than I and still single so maybe he will someday (but who knows if I'll like them...he's not too good at picking women so I figure his kids will turn out to be brats).

I believe the NRA has some sort of system in place where you can leave your guns to them and they'll sell them to raise money ... that sounds like a good idea to me.

Assistant Administrator
    The rest was fought over and taken by her sisters and mother and my cousins.....
    Dimmak - ain't that all too often the case!!! I have been appalled sometimes to see family ''vultures'' clawing and scrabbling to all but steal what they can - it is obscene.

One thing at least - my son is executor and my family is small - so if wife and I go together I can feel pretty sure things will be well attended to.
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Angry

Well, you're not getting anything of mine NOW Chris.
    I didn't see QKShooter gets to pick something up there.

Assistant Administrator
    Don't fret QK - I'll mark up the Hi-Point carbine - just for you
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Don't fret QK - I'll mark up the Hi-Point carbine - just for you
    Oh, Chris, I'm sure that will move you up on QK's list, but not the one for inheriting anything.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links