Surgery Next Week !

Surgery Next Week !

This is a discussion on Surgery Next Week ! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good Morning Everyone, I'm going in for a total hip replacement next week. Got to say Im scared to death. Last time I was put ...

Unhappy Surgery Next Week !

Good Morning Everyone,
    I'm going in for a total hip replacement next week. Got to say Im scared to death. Last time I was put to sleep was to have tonsils out when I was a kid. I was wondering if anyone had any experience
    with this sort of surgery. Any tips or advice for post surgery would be great. From what I have heard and read looking at 3mths recovery time. Worst part is that I have AVN in both hips ( only 48yrs old)
    and after the one heals I have to get the other side done.I think its going to be a long 6 months or so !!! Anyway,all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Tom

VIP Member
    My mom just had a partial hip replacement (bone disintegrated where the ball attaches to the femur). She was walking on a broken leg for a week, not knowing it, before she decided the pain was too great and got an x-ray.

She's 77, and been on chemo for 8 years (not the best candidate for recovery), and she got through it with flying colors and not tremendous pain during recovery. She was in the hospital for about 3 days, and then went into rehab for about 5 days, where they taught her how to move so that she would not re-injure it during the healing process. The nice part about it is that they don't have to do anything that shuts down the bowels during the surgery, so recovery is typically fairly quick.

It turned out to not be nearly as scary as we all had feared.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I have no first hand knowledge or experience. All I can offer are prayers and well wishes, you have both sir.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wish you a speedy recovery!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wish you the best
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I was scheduled for a total hip replacement but went with a new procedure called hip resurface. Was done about a year and a half ago and feels great.

I have had many operations but this was really very easy. No real pain, just some discomfort. Was walking with one crutch in two days time. They put me to sleep for about 3 hours and I woke feeling quite good. In fact, I ate dinner that evening. Out of the hospital in two days.

PM me if you want more info.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

If it helps you any, last November, just befor Thanksgiving my mother fell and broke her hip. She was 91 at the time and is doing real well now.
    Her comment was, "Do all the rehab work they give you and then do more". She was up walking within 12 hours, and did 2 weeks in a rehab hospital.
    She is walking without the use of any walker or cane now. I will say it has slowed her down a little, but that is good. Most likely would not have broken it if she had slowed down a little sooner.LOL
    Best of luck and DO THAT REHAB.....
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Best of luck Tom and at your age you will be a speedy recovery Im sure as you are still young. Always hear about the elderly getting hips replaced and they heal slower. Prayers and good thoughts your way.

Keep us posted on your recovery, Im sure you will be on here a lot

BigJon

Administrator
    My M In Law (in her 80s) had 2 hips and two knees done.

She is doing just fine. You're gonna love that internal Titanium - especially at the airport when your pockets are emptied and you still trip off the metal detectors.

VIP Member
    No advice,

Just prayers sent for a safe surgery, and a great recovery.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    My prayers are with you. I wish you the best of luck. They say that's the best sleep you will ever have.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Good luck, and keep positive. You'll be back on your feet and doing this in no time>>
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Links