How do people afford pick up trucks? - Page 2

How do people afford pick up trucks?

This is a discussion on How do people afford pick up trucks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm afraid that I don't know how lots of people afford either their "horses" or their homes. But, that is their business and I have ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do people afford pick up trucks?

VIP Member
    I'm afraid that I don't know how lots of people afford either their "horses" or their homes. But, that is their business and I have to manage my own affairs.

Once upon a time when money was a tad tight I bought a 6 year old truck with a salvage title. It ran like a top for 7 more years (lucky me) and the only money I put into it was for oil changes and tires.

Consider that there is sometimes a huge difference between "needs" and "wants."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    Really? My 05 supercrew F150 rear seat folds flat to to back of the cab. Tons of room back there....
    Yeah, on the Ford they folded to the back... but the exposed floor is not flat. the seat bottoms on the GM products fold forward, seat backs fold down, creating a flat surface.. dogs can lay down on.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Years ago, on my way to school I would pass a wood shanty that had a Cadillac parked behind it. The caddy stuck out on both sides of the shanty. LOL
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    For years I have been thinking of buying a truck. Ford f150 to be exact. The only problem is that they are sooooo expensive. I know some people write their trucks off through their business but their are so many other people with trucks that are $37-55k.

So how are these people affording them. Are they all upper middle class or rich? Do they live in little cheap houses but drive expensive cars?

Maybe trucks go for $10-15k less than the MSRP?

I am not looking for top of the line truck. I just want 4x4 and 4 door/supercrew.
    That right there is some cost. You have to separate need vs want as well. I ran one of those big trucks for a number of years, but when gas started topping outrageous prices I dumped it as much as I hated to do so. I had a jacked up dodge ram 2500 with 38" tires on it. Possible to get stuck - not unless the driver has no gray matter. I was always on call for work so getting stuck in the winter wasn't an option. I off-roaded quite a bit too so it had it's uses at the time.

At the end of the day, I put a small fortune into that truck(to the tune of $38k). At the time I wasn't spending a sizeable chunk of my income on a mortgage in NoVA and the gas wasn't tooooo bad. Times change as well as other various circumstances. Now I have a mortgage, a considerably long commute, a dog to feed, and the list goes on. No way I'd dump that much into a truck now.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I know 4x4 and Supercrew jack the price up BUT that really is the only configuration that I want. Maybe the extended cab but 4x4 is a must. My wife drives a 2wd SUV. When we bought it I opted for the 2wd over the 4wd based on the fact the most people will not use 4x4. Well there have been a bunch of times that I really needed 4wd and kicked myself in the butt for not buying it.

I don't need or want other "luxury" options like leather, sunroof, upgraded stereo, etc.

I realize that people overspend and that is why many are in debt.

It just seems that a person is willing to spend $65k on a truck but would never ever think about spending $50k on a car or SUV.

My lifestyle demands a 4 wd truck. I am always driving through mud, dirt and sloped wet grass looking for that perfect fishing hole or place to hang a tree stand. In 2003, I bought a Toyota Tacoma with the largest 4 cylnder made, 4wd and air, with a radio that am/fm. It had plain roll up windows. I paid 17,000. It now has 175,000 miles on it, air still works, still has the original clutch and rear breaks. I plan on putting another 150,00 or so miles on it.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My lifestyle demands a 4 wd truck. I am always driving through mud, dirt and sloped wet grass looking for that perfect fishing hole or place to hang a tree stand. In 2003, I bought a Toyota Tacoma with the largest 4 cylnder made, 4wd and air, with a radio that am/fm. It had plain roll up windows. I paid 17,000. It now has 175,000 miles on it, air still works, still has the original clutch and rear breaks. I plan on putting another 150,00 or so miles on it.
    I've always loved the Japanese mini trucks... I've never had a yota, but I did have one of the old style Nissan "hardbody" trucks. That thing was tough as nails and made for a great fishing/hunting wagon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ironically my screenname is azchevy LOL but I chose a Toyota for a few reasons:

"what kind of payments are you looking at"?.... Just sign here...here... and here!
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I don't know about where your at but our the sticker price and the actual purchase price are alot different after all the dumb rebates. But the business use is how I pay for mine but even it doesn't help a whole lot. I don't see how people can afford the $65,000 pickups or $250,000 homes.
    $250,000 is a low price here in Northern Virginia, and that only gets me a small condo or townhouse. I can only dream about owning a single family home.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    That right there is some cost. You have to separate need vs want as well. I ran one of those big trucks for a number of years, but when gas started topping outrageous prices I dumped it as much as I hated to do so. I had a jacked up dodge ram 2500 with 38" tires on it. Possible to get stuck - not unless the driver has no gray matter. I was always on call for work so getting stuck in the winter wasn't an option. I off-roaded quite a bit too so it had it's uses at the time.

At the end of the day, I put a small fortune into that truck(to the tune of $38k). At the time I wasn't spending a sizeable chunk of my income on a mortgage in NoVA and the gas wasn't tooooo bad. Times change as well as other various circumstances. Now I have a mortgage, a considerably long commute, a dog to feed, and the list goes on. No way I'd dump that much into a truck now.
    I do feel bad seeing pickup trucks and SUVs stuck in NoVA traffic.. that's why I have a small car and bought a house within a couple miles of the office.

Getting back on topic.. $37-$50k on a truck must include every single option available. Think about what options you don't need (do you really need keyless entry?) and see if that drops the price down a bit. Also, think about other manufacturers.. Toyota, Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge, Honda, and maybe even Nissan.

Shop around, the daughter got her new 4X4 supper cab for 25K out the door.... stripped or in 2 by it would have run under 20....
    Oh n Toyota, BTDT they ride rougher, and are nosier than a Ford, take one for a test spin and see...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I live in Michigan and my neighbor/friend is the F150 Launch manager at the Ford Dearborn plant. He's always driving the very latest prototype trucks and they cost as much as a new Mercedes or BMW… In fact I had the opportunity to ride in the very first crew cab Raptor ever produced and have had a private tour of the plant. All that said, I’m always hitting him up for the inside track for a new truck and he says that the best money would be spent on a late model used truck (if Ford 2006 and newer F150 due to enhanced frame insulation – VERY QUITE RIDE) Dodge, GM and Chevy all also very respectable trucks. But, contrary to earlier suggestions I would avoid Toyota trucks. They look great and tow a bunch but they have major issues with frame rust. They don’t have solid tube frames like the others so salt and chemicals can get into the frame and they rust quickly from the inside out. If you live in a dry arid area with no snow and chemicals then you can pick from the bunch… Good luck.

VIP Member
    Answer to the OP. Nobody pays retail. My neighbor just bought a new GMC Sierra king cab 4x4 for 23K.

If you want to buy a truck you need to spend some time shopping. If you have the funds lined up and are willing to wait 6 months or so for the right deal you can really make out. Most people are too impulsive to wait and they overpay.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    For years I have been thinking of buying a truck. Ford f150 to be exact. The only problem is that they are sooooo expensive. I know some people write their trucks off through their business but their are so many other people with trucks that are $37-55k.

So how are these people affording them. Are they all upper middle class or rich? Do they live in little cheap houses but drive expensive cars?

Maybe trucks go for $10-15k less than the MSRP?

I am not looking for top of the line truck. I just want 4x4 and 4 door/supercrew.
    Not trying to start a fight here, but you could also ask "how do folks afford to have a safe full of guns?". It's all about priorities. If its at the top of you list, go get it. If it's at the bottom, get it later. Just my $ .02
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

To each his own,but what gets me is most of them are never used for anything they're designed for.I see alot of Superdutys,2500s,andD250s that have never seen a days work and the inside of the beds are spotless.I think it makes"not so manly"men feel more manly.(I can't even wash it or change the oil but I'm a pickup man).But then again, it's their money.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links