How do people afford pick up trucks?

This is a discussion on How do people afford pick up trucks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Why buy new? I just bought a 2002 Excursion Limited under the worst possible circumstances (out of state on a road trip, behind schedule and ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do people afford pick up trucks?

Why buy new?
    I just bought a 2002 Excursion Limited under the worst possible circumstances (out of state on a road trip, behind schedule and my Suburban was failing fast). New, the base price for that trim line was $46,800. I paid $15,600. I was also looking at pickups ( Dodge Megacab etc) My requirements were four real doors, Diesel engine, and the ability to tow the 6,000 pound trailer I had with me. New I could have had a Ram 2500 for $38k. Five years older I could have had comparable F250 for $16,500.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 View Post
    Not trying to start a fight here, but you could also ask "how do folks afford to have a safe full of guns?". It's all about priorities. If its at the top of you list, go get it. If it's at the bottom, get it later. Just my $ .02
    I knew someone would say this. Well an expensive car is usually much more money than a safe full of guns. Unless your safe is full of Purdy shotguns or something like that.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I knew someone would say this. Well an expensive car is usually much more money than a safe full of guns. Unless your safe is full of Purdy shotguns or something like that.
    I got to the second sentence and thought "I don't know about that..." then I read the third sentence, and thought "well, yeah, OK... He's right"
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I bought my wifes SUV several years ago (2007 I think), all I shopped for were used suvs. We found a 2003 Toyota 4runner with 40k miles for $24k. They would not budge on the price so we left. I called another dealership to see if they had any used 4runners. They said that they do not BUT I can get a new 2008 4runner for $23k. They threw in leather seats also for $23k. The 4runner had ZERO miles on it. List price was $31k.

So I feel that you can get a really good price on a new vehicle these days if you shop around. Also interest rates are usually lower on new vehicles.

Going back to my original post. The F150 I want is $37k. The highest I would pay is $25k.

VIP Member
    Going back to my original post. The F150 I want is $37k. The highest I would pay is $25k.
    That is probably close to what you could get it for. I think maybe 27K would be more realistic.

For the record I drive a 2003 Nissan Frontier and it is a great truck. They come with a 4 door crew cab and are SOLID 4 X 4 trucks. If you haggle you could get one new for around 21 or 22K. Newer used probably 18K. You should check one out.

Mine sees plenty of off road action and I've had no problems.

Some old pics of me hauling "gear".

big deer 1.jpgdeer web 2.jpg
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Administrator
    I think 25 is right it the ballpark... especially now with people wanting smaller cars and such. If you wait to long, prices might start creeping up on the 4x4's because of winter. But I don't know if that will affect things much there in Georgia.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My lifestyle demands a 4 wd truck. I am always driving through mud, dirt and sloped wet grass looking for that perfect fishing hole or place to hang a tree stand. In 2003, I bought a Toyota Tacoma with the largest 4 cylnder made, 4wd and air, with a radio that am/fm. It had plain roll up windows. I paid 17,000. It now has 175,000 miles on it, air still works, still has the original clutch and rear breaks. I plan on putting another 150,00 or so miles on it.
    Excellent choice as you no doubt know and others can tell by looking at how well it has lasted.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    It's really weird at how things change. When I was a kid, for example, trucks weren't popular at all. I remember when people made fun of you for driving a truck... If you watch the old T.V. shows from the 50s, a family that lives on a farm would have a car and a truck. The truck was used to take the cattle to the stock yards and the little lady would drive the car into the city to get groceries as well as to take care of various other misc. tasks. On Sunday, the family would get into the car and go to church and leave the truck at home. Today, trucks are not only commonly found in church parking lots but are used everyday for daily transportation. Its not unusual, for example, to see a $50,000 dually sitting in a factory parking lot. Why a factory worker needs a dually, I'll never know but its like some of you have said; its their money and its really none of my business.

The reason trucks are so expensive is because we live in an open market where demand drives price. If people would stop paying $60,000 for a truck then they would stop making $60,000 trucks.

I would like to have a truck but as far as driving something everyday, I'd much rather have a car. If I'm going to pay over $40,000 for a vehicle then its going to have a "BMW" or "Mercedes" badge in place of a "4x4" badge.

If you have to have "4x4" then I'm afraid you're going to have to pay for it but at the same time be grateful that you don't need a diesel. My brother was looking at new Fords a few years ago and the "Powerstroke" was like a $10,000 option.

If you're not in a rush then keep an eye out for specials. Sometimes if you can catch a dealer offering 0% financing along with a rebate + trade in, you can get a payment that is less than what a used truck would cost you. Its a slow economy so I would imagine that dealers should be motivated to work out a deal if they know you are serious.

Please let us know how it works out for you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That is probably close to what you could get it for. I think maybe 27K would be more realistic.

For the record I drive a 2003 Nissan Frontier and it is a great truck. They come with a 4 door crew cab and are SOLID 4 X 4 trucks. If you haggle you could get one new for around 21 or 22K. You should check one out.

Mine sees plenty of off road action and I've had no problems.

Some old pics of me hauling "gear".

big deer 1.jpgdeer web 2.jpg
    Good choice. I have had excellent luck with Nissan trucks, Toyota trucks and SUVs, Honda cars and a Honda SUV (the new ones, not the one that was an Isuzu). OTOH, my 3 Fords, my Dodge, my Buick, all were huge disappointments. Its no wonder the American car makers got into trouble.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    A lot of people get the barebones 2 WD versions that are already used. But that's only part of the equation. Can you afford the gas?
    This was me. I bought the bare bones 2008 in 2010 single cab Chevy with manual windows and such. That is why I can afford the gas.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I can't recall the last new car I bought.

I buy 1 year old, 15,000 miles or so on it, and end up about $8-10,000 less than brand new.
    With gas prices the way they are, I bet somebody is dumping their truck.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I will throw in my 2 cents on this topic.The only thing we finance are cars and homes,everything else we pay for.I know so many people that have no priorities,they want everything and they want it NOW.We bought a new truck in 2007,and we had another vehicle that was paid for.Paid off the 2007 truck recently,sold the older vehicle,then we bought a new car,and we kept the truck of course.I believe in one car note at a time.Also,take no crap from dealers,if they do not give what you want,leave and go elsewhere.I have no mercy or pity for car dealers,they certainly have none.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I can't recall the last new car I bought.

I buy 1 year old, 15,000 miles or so on it, and end up about $8-10,000 less than brand new.
    With gas prices the way they are, I bet somebody is dumping their truck.
    This is very true. My g/f's dad just traded in a Chevrolet 2500HD 8.1 Litre (not sure what year) in on a new Camry. He wanted something that was going to be easy on gas. The truck sit in his driveway with a "For Sale" sign on it for several weeks and noone stopped to inquire about it. He then decided to "dump" it at the dealership.

Typically I advise people to buy used so that they will not have to eat the depreciation that a new car inevitably has in its first year. Used trucks seem to me to be very expensive. I've seen used trucks that were listed in ads that weren't very much cheaper than new ones. Depending on the deal you can get at the dealership, you might get a new one with a payment very close or cheaper than what a used one will cost. It sounds crazy but I think the prices for used trucks are crazy also.

If you find something like the one that glockman10mm bought then that is the route I would pursue but that might mean foregoing some of the features you were wanting...you might not, for example, get the super-cab.

I am guilty of wanting a truck. Either a Silverado 1500 or a Nissan Titan. I am currently saving so I can afford it.

Trade in and down payment along with a good credit score will help ease the pain. I drive a now old Durango 4x4 with the Hemi that I bought new in 06.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links