How do people afford pick up trucks?

This is a discussion on How do people afford pick up trucks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by DefConGun Typically I advise people to buy used so that they will not have to eat the depreciation that a new car ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do people afford pick up trucks?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Typically I advise people to buy used so that they will not have to eat the depreciation that a new car inevitably has in its first year. Used trucks seem to me to be very expensive. I've seen used trucks that were listed in ads that weren't very much cheaper than new ones. Depending on the deal you can get at the dealership, you might get a new one with a payment very close or cheaper than what a used one will cost. It sounds crazy but I think the prices for used trucks are crazy also.
    I did this very thing when I bought my Nissan. I was shopping for a used Toyota Tacoma in 04. The prices were almost the same as new trucks. I found my truck, a 2003, still new on the lot. This was fall of 04 and the 05s were about to come out. I bought the truck brand new for about $4500 less than what I could buy a used one.

I currently have my eye on a new 2010 Nissan Titan nearby. If it's still there in a few more months it might come home with me for less than a used truck.
    DefConGun likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

Those King Ranch Ford pickups are expensive...

But man is that leather nice

Where I live there are three types of people who drive the kind of trucks you describe (4X4, V-8, Quad Cabs).

1) Ranchers in their mid 50's and older, who run over 300+ head of cattle on a couple hundred acres or more. (The crop farmers drive 25 - 30 year old beat up regular pick ups they bought when they were new).

2) Active duty military guys (E-5's or above) from the local Air Force Base who have no use for a truck, but look cool in their buzz haircuts, dark sunglasses and pulling their wave runners to the lake.

3) Scuzz balls in their mid to late twenties, have no job (their old lady draws a paycheck, but change jobs frequently), get every type of welfare payment they can screw out of the taxpayers, live in crap rental houses without fenced yards with 2 pit bulls (or 1 pit and 1 rott) staked out on logging chains, and peddle meth and other drugs.

The Amish drive horse and buggies and work harder than everyone. They pay cash for everything too.

(I drive a 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 V-6 with most the options available I got in 2009 for $22K. Saved $12K off of list price by getting a year old program vehicle).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Depending on the dealer right now theres usually a lot of incentives for trucks. I think dodge had close to 10k in incentives which broght a 37k truck down to a reasonable price

I bought my first new truck in 1988, a K3500 standardcab 8' bed for $305 a month. worked 2 jobs to pay for it. Still have it ,250,000 miles,one tranny, one motor,three sets of brakes,untold sets of tires. It was a bare bones no A/C, PL,PW,tilt,cruise or leather! Gas was 99cents a gallon. Bought a 1990 K1500 short bed in 2006 for 2,700.00 ,still have it 150,000 miles gas was 2.40 a gallon? There is no way I would by a new truck in today's market! they are way overpriced,the gas mileage is no better than my 20 year old trucks and they are getting very expensive to maintain. my next truck will be a used GM pre 2000.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Where I live there are three types of people who drive the kind of trucks you describe (4X4, V-8, Quad Cabs).

1) Ranchers in their mid 50's and older, who run over 300+ head of cattle on a couple hundred acres or more. (The crop farmers drive 25 - 30 year old beat up regular pick ups they bought when they were new).

2) Active duty military guys (E-5's or above) from the local Air Force Base who have no use for a truck, but look cool in their buzz haircuts, dark sunglasses and pulling their wave runners to the lake.

3) Scuzz balls in their mid to late twenties, have no job (their old lady draws a paycheck, but change jobs frequently), get every type of welfare payment they can screw out of the taxpayers, live in crap rental houses without fenced yards with 2 pit bulls (or 1 pit and 1 rott) staked out on logging chains, and peddle meth and other drugs.

The Amish drive horse and buggies and work harder than everyone. They pay cash for everything too.

(I drive a 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 V-6 with most the options available I got in 2009 for $22K. Saved $12K off of list price by getting a year old program vehicle).
    We're neighbors!? I didn't know you lived around here.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I was looking for a truck but kept holding out for my dad's old '89 Silverado short bed 4x4. Glad I held out because of the prices. Has only 137,000 miles on it and does what a truck is supposed to do. Haul stuff. Pull stuff. Get dirty. Work. Runs better than my car that is 11 years old with 187,000 miles.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Honestly I considered trading my truck for a older (80's) Single cab gmc, the only problem was when it rains here it will flood the expressway and I have passed cars up to the door handles in water driven in a hurricane and like to generally drive when no ones on the roads but weathers worst. Id reccomend buying used because you can get a car someone put 10g's into it more and get it dirt cheap. I was really into the HD F150's and when I bought my truck (5 yrs ago) I saw a 4 door HD F150 for 8g's (same price as I paid for my 4x4) Now im just looking to put aluminum door inserts on the inside and clean up some of the stuff I dont need and it's perfect.

Your not going to find any heavy incentives on a new Ford F150 at the moment (don't know about Dodge, Chevy, GMC) but at Ford not going to happen... I know for a fact production demand at the plants are way over capacity and they can't build them fast enough.

I gotta tell ya, I drove Fords and Chevys for years. Bought my first Toyota in 04. Since then no looking back. I have had 3 Tundras,2 Camerys.The last one was a Tundra in 07, 4wd 4dr crew cab. Paid 35k fully loaded. I have 156k miles on this one. NO problems except for normal maintainence tires, oil changes ect. Oh and had to do front breaks at 125k. Usually buy a new one every two years but held off this time. The one I wanted was on the 50k side. Great vehicles. I would concider or atleast test drive one before you buy a Ford or Chevy.

TC

I had owned a used '78 Chey PU for awhile when I bought a new '79 Ford F100 in 1980, then got a new '90 Ranger in '91, then an Explorer in 1994 because I needed more seat capacity. I didn't have the Explorer a month before I wished I still had a truck! In January 2009 I went looking for a new vehicle. I bought a "loaded" F150 extended cab 4x4 that was a new 2008 for a bit less than a "stripped down" basic 2009 F150 2wd. By buying the previous years model, you can get a "new" truck with the warranty, etc. at a considerable discount, because the dealers are really trying to move the older models and are willing to deal. I got way more on trade-in than I expected, 10k off the sticker price, and a 4k cash rebate. Do I absolutely need a truck? No. But one sure is handy for hauling mulch, stones, plywood sheets, 2x4s, etc. And I wouldn't have been able to haul home my new snowblower last year without a truck. So they do come in handy. And I love Fords. Just my .02!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I didn't want to necessarily hijack this thread, but I've been following it with some interest when you guys are talking about the prices of these trucks. One of the the most common annoying complaints I see about the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt is that they are too expensive and that they are just toys for rich people and the common folk can't afford them. But I'm always scratching my head on that one. The Leaf costs around $27,000. Factor in the savings on gasoline and maintenance and it works out to a lot less. But when I drive down the road or go to the grocery store, around here in Texas the truck and the SUV are king. highways and parking lots are just full of Ford F-250 dually, Chevy Tahoe, Cadillac Escalades, and the like. These vehicles, even the trucks, are pristine and you can tell they've never done a day's hauling or any other kind of work. They are basically driven as a daily commuter. They cost 2 to 3 times what a Leaf costs, and that doesn't even include the fuel. I see how much people spend at the pump to gas up these monster vehicles and I think in many cases the fuel costs as much or more than the vehicle.

I've also driven through some really bad trailer parks where the houses are just falling apart and the living conditions are probably so bad inside that the homes should be condemned. Yet, sitting out in front in the dirt driveway is either a brand-new sports car or a big Escalade.

So it seems to be that people can afford whatever kind of car they want, it just depends on their priorities in life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell people what they should drive. It just hacks me off when people say these cars are too expensive for normal people to afford, yet these same people are probably driving around in something that costs more. I think some people don't even pay attention to the cost of a vehicle. When they go into a dealership all they hear is the "payment" and that is all they care about.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Back when I was a young man, I once had a Ford sales guy tell me that "nobody can afford the cost of a new vehicle anymore, and that I'd be a fool not to take their financing".

I told him I was going across town to pay cash for a Bronco from his competition.

I really regret selling that truck.

Administrator
    The older Bronco's were awesome.
    Harryball likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I paid 19K for my 2007 F150 Super Crew with 34K original miles back in March. Of course I live in Texas and everyone has a pick up.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links