How do people afford pick up trucks?

This is a discussion on How do people afford pick up trucks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I liked the old Ram Chargers those were mean vehicles with a 360. it was set....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do people afford pick up trucks?

I liked the old Ram Chargers those were mean vehicles with a 360. it was set.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I liked the old Ram Chargers those were mean vehicles with a 360. it was set.
    Yeah, I remember those too. Actually what I'd really like to have is a Grand Wagoneer. I go look at this guy's page often; http://www.wagonmaster.com/complete.htm

He has some cool wagons, I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a old daily driver.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, I remember those too. Actually what I'd really like to have is a Grand Wagoneer. I go look at this guy's page often; The Wagonmaster - Located in Kerrville, Texas we offer the finest pre-owned Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Jeep Sport Utility Vehicles, station wagons, Wagoneers and Jeep 4x4's.

He has some cool wagons, I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a old daily driver.
    No doubt. $40,000 for an '86 model? That is collector car pricing.

I agree I'm on a tundra forum too. I know guys that are buying $55,000+ truck I don't know how the afford it. I have a 2007 tundra that I bought used add 43,000 on it and I payed $25,000 and I pay $450 for it a month. I also live in a new house. Not to say I rich. We both have good jobs. Praise God. Because I know it would not be easy if you only had one person working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    I gotta tell ya, I drove Fords and Chevys for years. Bought my first Toyota in 04. Since then no looking back. I have had 3 Tundras,2 Camerys.The last one was a Tundra in 07, 4wd 4dr crew cab. Paid 35k fully loaded. I have 156k miles on this one. NO problems except for normal maintainence tires, oil changes ect. Oh and had to do front breaks at 125k. Usually buy a new one every two years but held off this time. The one I wanted was on the 50k side. Great vehicles. I would concider or atleast test drive one before you buy a Ford or Chevy.

TC
    You go. You on Tundratruckz.com forum. I own a tundra too if your not on the forum come join. We would love to have you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 25 is right it the ballpark... especially now with people wanting smaller cars and such. If you wait to long, prices might start creeping up on the 4x4's because of winter. But I don't know if that will affect things much there in Georgia.
    I was thinking I should buy in October or November and get last years model.

Another question is about gas mileage. Right now our 4runner averages 19MPG which I think is AWESOME for an suv of that size. A month ago or so I went to the shore. 6 hour drive with 5 people and the back packed. I averaged 23 MPG on the highway! I have a 2003 Mazda 6 that I drive. It averages 20 MPG highway and city.

I see that some of the newer F150s with V6s average about 17-18MPG according to some real world tests. That is not much less than my sedan.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I was thinking I should buy in October or November and get last years model.
    If you're going to buy new, then yeah, wait until model year end.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    I gotta tell ya, I drove Fords and Chevys for years. Bought my first Toyota in 04. Since then no looking back. I have had 3 Tundras,2 Camerys.The last one was a Tundra in 07, 4wd 4dr crew cab. Paid 35k fully loaded. I have 156k miles on this one. NO problems except for normal maintainence tires, oil changes ect. Oh and had to do front breaks at 125k. Usually buy a new one every two years but held off this time. The one I wanted was on the 50k side. Great vehicles. I would concider or atleast test drive one before you buy a Ford or Chevy.

TC
    I've owned VW, Subaru, GMC, Mazda, and Honda. To be honest, my wifes 2008 4runner is the best vehicle I ever owned. Everthing about it I love. Usually when I buy a vehicle I love it for maybe 1 year, then I like it a lot during the 2nd year, and by the 3rd year I am wish I had another vehicle. With the 4runner, I am still in love with it and we have had it for maybe 4-5 years.

Administrator
    I'm the same way. I bought a new car every other year or so for a long time. I've had so many cars. Anyway, I've forced myself to keep current Jeep. I've come close to trading it in a few times, but now I'm on love with no car payments even more. Good thing, cause I have less than 50k on it, it's going to be mine for a good long while
    "Just blame Sixto"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Another question is about gas mileage. Right now our 4runner averages 19MPG which I think is AWESOME for an suv of that size. A month ago or so I went to the shore. 6 hour drive with 5 people and the back packed. I averaged 23 MPG on the highway! I have a 2003 Mazda 6 that I drive. It averages 20 MPG highway and city.

I see that some of the newer F150s with V6s average about 17-18MPG according to some real world tests. That is not much less than my sedan.
    I have a 2007 4Runner, we're averaging about 21 in town, course I drive like an old man too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    But, I think I did figure out the answer to your original question. Your thread did make me a little curious so I did some shopping today;

I hate big car payments. Despise them. I hate borrowing money even more. My wife and I make a nice living, we are not house poor so we truly can afford pretty much whatever vehicle we want (within reason, I'm not talking Bentleys or anything)
    We both drive modest cars. As mentioned, my Jeep is paid for, and we just bought her a new Mazda this spring.
    So, I started looking at new Jeeps and pickups purely out of curiosity today. I figured out that with my trade at blue book value (12k) and at 0% financing being offered, I can buy a 30K Jeep or truck for roughly 300 a month. Thats easily doable for a lot of people.
    So take good care of your car, and pay that sucker off. Then, if you wish, it makes a nice hefty trade in to get a low payment.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Man I wish Ford had a warranty on their F150s like my wife's Hyundai has.10 year, 100,000 mi bumper to bumper warranty. I gave her endless crappy for that thing till I test drove a 2 seater genesis. That little coup runs like greased lighting!
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

The new Hyundais are indeed absolutely excellent.

I like to use Honda and Toyota in the late 80s/early 90s to describe where Hyundai and their child company, Kia, is situated right now. Bringing out great quality, well designed, and reliable cars that people actually want.

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan seem pretty directionless. Their quality isn't so hot anymore, and their designs, both exterior and interior, really make one wonder who exactly they're hiring over there as designers.

I would personally like to see GM or Ford come out with a small diesel pickup. Something like an old Ranger, but with a small turbodiesel and manual gearbox. A lot of people who actually need pickups really only need something the size of a Ranger. It would be far easier on gas, so easier on the wallet, plus easier to park, maneuver, insure, etc. Problem is, the bottom end F150s and Silverados offer so much value that it would be difficult to make a good profit on something small unless they were only charging something like $15k for a well equipped model.

Actually what I'd really like to have is a Grand Wagoneer. I go look at this guy's page often; The Wagonmaster - Located in Kerrville, Texas we offer the finest pre-owned Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Jeep Sport Utility Vehicles, station wagons, Wagoneers and Jeep 4x4's.

I used to have an '83 metallic bronze Grand Wagoneer Ltd. just like the ones on that page. It was the bomb! It would do circles around any Suburban.

My mouth about hit the floor when I saw the prices on the wagonmaster page. But, I'd have one again in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My Silverade 2500 HD cost $13,000 when I bought it used. At that point it was about 5 years old. That's where the values are. A good used truck about 5 or 6 years old. Mine has run great with only 1 mechanical issue (differential, probably my fault), and it has over 180K miles on it. about 60K of which are mine.

If you really want to ask about affording a pickup, you should ask us about our gas mileage. I get 16 mpg running 65 on the highway, on a good day.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links