How do people afford pick up trucks?

This is a discussion on How do people afford pick up trucks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My last three vehicles (one is a truck) were all 1-2 years old, still on warranty, and much cheaper than new. I've had no problems ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do people afford pick up trucks?

My last three vehicles (one is a truck) were all 1-2 years old, still on warranty, and much cheaper than new. I've had no problems with any of them.
    No need to buy new...let someone else absorb the depreciation, but I still have warranty time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

I paid $32k in Dec 07 for my 08 Sliverado Z71. Paid cash, Before that I drove an 89 blazer for 10 years. I made monthly car payments on that blazer to myself. That money saved, and a good chunk of profit from a house flip got me my first new vehicle. In hind-sight I should have waited another 6-8 months for the year end clearance sales (along with gas jumping up to close to $4) Same new truck was selling for $11k less. I no longer depend on a truck for a living, and sometimes pay for deliveries to reduce wear on the girl. But this truck will last me 30 years if all goes as planned. The only car I've owned was a 76 type lt camreo that I bought from my parents when I was 16. I'm a truck guy, I hate driving cars. If I did, it would have to be a big car.... cadillac or town car. YMMV
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I paid $32k in Dec 07 for my 08 Sliverado Z71. Paid cash, Before that I drove an 89 blazer for 10 years. I made monthly car payments on that blazer to myself. That money saved, and a good chunk of profit from a house flip got me my first new vehicle. In hind-sight I should have waited another 6-8 months for the year end clearance sales (along with gas jumping up to close to $4) Same new truck was selling for $11k less. I no longer depend on a truck for a living, and sometimes pay for deliveries to reduce wear on the girl. But this truck will last me 30 years if all goes as planned. The only car I've owned was a 76 type lt camreo that I bought from my parents when I was 16. I'm a truck guy, I hate driving cars. If I did, it would have to be a big car.... cadillac or town car. YMMV
    You mentioned something that I was thinking about earlier today but haven't noticed anyone else talking about in this thread - including myself.

Something that would really make you ahead of the game is if you continue to make payments after your vehicle is paid for, etc. Only this time around, you make the payments to yourself. If you drive your vehicle for 5 years, for example, you could very well save up $20,000 before you go out to get your next truck/car. With $20,000, you could very well buy a truck outright with cash...sweet! If you had to have the new model with all kinds of bells and whistles, then $20,000 would be a very good down payment...which would give you low payments.

Years ago I had intended to do something like this but somehow I got off track and my car payment found another avenue. Its a good plan if you're really serious though and stick to it.

Once you own a truck, you don't know how you ever got along without one.
    I just sold a 2000 Dodge Ram with 55K miles for $6k.
    Why did I sell? It was good cosmetically, but had lots of little problems. (dash cracked, power window failed, AC died, I just got tired of fixing it.)
    AND it got 12 mpg!
    If you are indeed buying a truck, look used, and stay with Ford.

I now drive a Honda and love it. Buy American has to be more than a sales pitch. That only works once.

People do what they want. So some guys don't haul stuff everyday, but trucks will be useful to almost anybody. Just because you see a new truck around town with nothing in the back doesn't mean it isn't used.

I'm getting a new car in December and I'm seriously considering an F-150.

Trucks are expensive, but one can be particular about buying a vehicle. Spend time doing research and decide what you're going to pay. The used route is an option, and in many cases may be the best option.

I like new stuff. I'm aware that there are people who will disagree, but I go to work every day, and when it comes time to buy something I get what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Once you own a truck, you don't know how you ever got along without one.
    I just sold a 2000 Dodge Ram with 55K miles for $6k.
    Why did I sell? It was good cosmetically, but had lots of little problems. (dash cracked, power window failed, AC died, I just got tired of fixing it.)
    AND it got 12 mpg!
    If you are indeed buying a truck, look used, and stay with Ford.

I now drive a Honda and love it. Buy American has to be more than a sales pitch. That only works once.
    You almost have to research anymore to know if you're buying American because you can't always tell by the name. I don't know about now but at one time, not long ago, Dodge trucks (I think it was the extended cab models) were/are made in Mexico; Honda used to have a motorcycle plant in Ohio, Toyota Sienna is made in Indiana (the rumor on the internet is that it has more American parts than a Ford Mustang); Camrys are made in KY, Camaro and Challenger is made in Canada & BMW has a plant in South Carolina.

Now I'm about to tick off the die hard Harley fans because you often hear about how Harleys are made in America but some of their parts come from Japan...so is it really made in America? Perhaps a better way of saying it is; it is "assembled" in America. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a Harley engine made in Germany?

I'm starting to wonder if its even possible to buy an American car? Let's not forget that GM shutdown over a parts delay per a recent disaster in Japan.
    Japan quake causes GM plant shut down - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana |

Remember the resale value is more too, so that does enter into the equation somewhat, but still doesn't make it a "small" investment.

The Supercrew and 4X4 adds about $4K. If you want 3/4 Ton, that also adds another $3K or so.

In the past, new pickups were always the best deal, but "lightly used" pickups might be starting to have an edge.

I wanted the same thing as you, but found a Govt. Motors product that was just too good of a deal to pass up compared to the F-150. Got a 1 year old, Chevrolet, with 13K miles, Certified with an extra year and 12K miles of warranty, (basically same warranty as a new one) for $26K. Roughly $6K cheaper than the cheapest comparable F-150 I could find. Dodge is somewhere in-between in these part. I believe the Fords are still a better buy new, but like you, just a little outta my price range.

Unless you are going to be really using it for work, in dirty environment and all, I don't recommend getting a "plain jane" (if you can even find one) because they kill you on the resale/trade later. I also don't recommend the "top of the line" as they are just crazy over-priced.

If it makes you feel any better, a high percentage of the folks driving those pickups can't really afford them either. They rob Peter to pay Paul, and are never more than 1-3 month's income away from financial disaster. (I know, I see the tax returns and Financial Statements)

Now, some use them for their work, and are a necessary expense, with offsetting income. I'm not saying everyone can't afford them, but the percentage is pretty high.

In 09 I bought my Trailblazer. Its an 07, had 70,000, 4 by 4 with the works on it. I paid 8,000 for it. I have a trailer if needed for real heavy hauling. I needed the four wheel drive because the city we live in cant afford to plow regularly. BTW when I bought it, gas was over 4.00 a gallon.

VIP Member
    Buy used!!! In '07, I picked up an '04 Armada LE 4x4. It has all the bells and whistles and the original sticker was a bit over $52K. It had 40K miles on it when I got it. I paid well under half the original sticker price and because the dealer was bragging about it, I got him to fix a few things that were wrong as well. I now have 173K miles on it and anticipate getting at least 80K more out of it. I will get 80% or more of the use out of it for less than 50% of the original price.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Saw a commercial last night for a local Chevy dealer. Silverados starting at $14,950. Probably plain Jane with a small engine etc. With the new model year starting there are going to be some deals to be had on left overs. If you don't mind unpopular colors or having to upgrade the stereo with an aftermarket unit you might be able to get more than you would expect.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Saw a commercial last night for a local Chevy dealer. Silverados starting at $14,950. Probably plain Jane with a small engine etc. With the new model year starting there are going to be some deals to be had on left overs. If you don't mind unpopular colors or having to upgrade the stereo with an aftermarket unit you might be able to get more than you would expect.
    That is cheap. I wonder if that is the ole bait n' switch. I remember when a friend of mine went to a car lot to buy a Toyota 4x4. He wanted a bare bones model and didn't want to give very much for one. Eventually, he found an ad for an inexpensive stripped model, just like the one he wanted. When he got to the car lot to buy it, however, they told him that the truck that was in their ad was not on the lot...lol.
    After having a small fight with the salesman about advertising cars that they didn't have, the salesman ended up showing him some other models that they actually had on the lot. I think my friend ended up buying a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee.

Beware of ads. Sometimes they're fantasy.

Oh yeah, and a lot of times they will say something about two hundred trucks in stock starting at X price. They will have one at that price and the rest start about $4,000 more. Anything to get you in the door.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Oh yeah, and a lot of times they will say something about two hundred trucks in stock starting at X price. They will have one at that price and the rest start about $4,000 more. Anything to get you in the door.
    Exactly. I was wrong in my other post now that I think about it. He traded a Jeep in on a new Toyota. Since they didn't have the stripped down version, he did end up buying the more expensive model.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    My truck is a 2010 Chevy 1500 ext cab, 2wd. I went with one of those because I am more comfortable in it, and because I like it. At the time I had no need for a big truck. I managed to luck into a great deal and traded my 07 Silverado in on a warrenty swap, my payment went up only a hundred a month and i now have traction control, extended cab, cd player, satalleite radio, and an MP3 jack, which is what I wanted. Also an upgraded speaker system. For the money I pay now, which was 24K brand new, I get twice the amount of truck than my old single cab, and more flexibility. Now I find myself glad I own a truck because my job takes me to construction zones and I need the extra clearance and suspension beef to get around.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    I never thought it to be a big deal to buy a truck. The last one I got, I walked in, picked a truck,spent about 30 minutes doing paperwork and then drove home in a new truck.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links