How do people afford pick up trucks?

This is a discussion on How do people afford pick up trucks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For years I have been thinking of buying a truck. Ford f150 to be exact. The only problem is that they are sooooo expensive. I ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do people afford pick up trucks?

For years I have been thinking of buying a truck. Ford f150 to be exact. The only problem is that they are sooooo expensive. I know some people write their trucks off through their business but their are so many other people with trucks that are $37-55k.

So how are these people affording them. Are they all upper middle class or rich? Do they live in little cheap houses but drive expensive cars?

Maybe trucks go for $10-15k less than the MSRP?

I am not looking for top of the line truck. I just want 4x4 and 4 door/supercrew.

4x4 and 4 door/supercrew.
    There's your money.
    jwhite75 and JDE101 like this.

Buy an older 7.3 diesel or older f-150.

Most people how much a month stuff and live on the edge of poverty to do so.
    varob likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I don't know about where your at but our the sticker price and the actual purchase price are alot different after all the dumb rebates. But the business use is how I pay for mine but even it doesn't help a whole lot. I don't see how people can afford the $65,000 pickups or $250,000 homes.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Buy one at least a year old, a used one. While the depreciation on a truck is nowhere near as dramatic as a car, it's still substantial enough that it's worth the wait.
    Naufragia likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Most people buy their cars with a loan and live to pay their bills. I suggest that you search for a used truck at Auto Trader. I guarantee you that you will find a great deal there and you can even negotiate the price with the seller. Nowadays, a lot of people in the US are unfortunately so in debt that they are willing to sell their trucks for anything. Look for a 2006 - 2009 model with 40K - 60K miles and you can probably find one for less than $25K.

I also recommend that you check out the Nissan Titan and the Toyota Tundra. They are both amazing trucks and cheaper.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

i bought bare bones...manual windows/locks...but still AM/FM/CD, AC, etc....extended cab. Brand new 2004 End of year clearance...sticker 24K..."On Sale" for 14K. I "wanted" a truck but didn't "need" a truck so didn't need all the extras.

Administrator
    It's more about separating out your wants vs needs. It's easy to go to Fords website, and build the truck the way you want it, but is that what really need and can pay for? The decked out fancy versions are sure nice, but is that really what you need and can pay for?

Most people can't, but they do crazy things so that they can. I know a guy who took a second mortgage to buy his nice F150. That's just crazy stupid in my book. This same guy makes fun of my paid for Jeep.

Then, I know another guy who put a ton of cash down on his truck, which is a good thing, but then took advantage of the 0% financing special at the time. He thought I was crazy when I laughed at him and asked why he didn't use Dodges money to float the truck and kept his money earning interest for him. I guess that was a foreign concept.

Now, both of those guys don't need a truck. They are not in construction, sportsmen or anything of the like. They went into major debt to stroke their egos. I'd assume that most people don't need a truck, but I do get wanting one; I'd like to have one too. But I'm not willing to go into the hole to get one, let alone high fuel costs etc.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2011 GMC sierra SL trim $30,540 = Crew Cab, V8, 4WD, with current cash back offers. That's the asking price.

Edmunds says you can buy it for $28,711 + tax Lic etc. no trade...

BTW, it's what I own from 2005... reason I selected GMC (or Chevy) over Ford? back seat folds flat... I have a couple of mutts I like to take with me... The rear floor in the Ford (2005 Model year crew cab, did not fold flat... good for storage, I guess, not good for dogs.

I get ~22mpg with mine (5.0L V8) if I take it easy... about 19.5 otherwise on average town and country driving. (I live 20+- miles from work)

Used car market is up right now... if you can sell what you have, you'll get more selling it yourself.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Craigslist is a great place to look for local used cars/trucks. I've sold several cars on Craigslist over the years.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

A lot of people get the barebones 2 WD versions that are already used. But that's only part of the equation. Can you afford the gas?

I have an 01 Supercrew 4x4 that I LOVE! But I ride a motorcycle for the most part saves me gas for the longest part and when I need it I will
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    2011 GMC sierra SL trim $30,540 = Crew Cab, V8, 4WD, with current cash back offers. That's the asking price.

Edmunds says you can buy it for $28,711 + tax Lic etc. no trade...

BTW, it's what I own from 2005... reason I selected GMC (or Chevy) over Ford? back seat folds flat... I have a couple of mutts I like to take with me... The rear floor in the Ford (2005 Model year crew cab, did not fold flat... good for storage, I guess, not good for dogs.

I get ~22mpg with mine (5.0L V8) if I take it easy... about 19.5 otherwise on average town and country driving. (I live 20+- miles from work)

Used car market is up right now... if you can sell what you have, you'll get more selling it yourself.
    Really? My 05 supercrew F150 rear seat folds flat to to back of the cab. Tons of room back there....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Now, both of those guys don't need a truck. They are not in construction, sportsmen or anything of the like. They went into major debt to stroke their egos.
    This. I've seen plenty of trucks around here with 4WD, lift kits, big tires and shiny chrome wheels. They keep them all sparkly clean and I've never seen one hauling anything really. I laugh at them, ask my wife. My Jeep is smaller, cheaper, less comfortable and uglier, but it'll see more hauling, off-roading and real man's work than any of the big trucks like those. My little Jeep has successfully pulled out a Ford F-350 hauling a 14' trailer with a Bobcat on it that was stuck in snow. Why he didn't use the Bobcat to pull it out is beyond me, but it just goes to show that one doesn't need the biggest, baddest truck around to get the job done.
    Bkrazy likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have an '00 XLT Supercab 4x4. I got it used back in 2007, and I love it.

In the future, I'd like to get an F250. I never did understand why you need all the leather in a pickup, though....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links