Nearing The End-Finally - Page 2

Nearing The End-Finally

This is a discussion on Nearing The End-Finally within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 It will be worth all the work when you can sit back, sip a cup of coffee, and admire the finished ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nearing The End-Finally

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It will be worth all the work when you can sit back, sip a cup of coffee, and admire the finished product...good luck with your endeavors.
    When this is done I am going to put my son in daycare and spend the entire day in my bedroom. I might lounge around and read or watch some movies on our brand new 32" television that will be mounted right at the foot of our bed.

I MIGHT do some laundry or a little Yoga but I am going to relax and enjoy it to its fullest. I have promised JD that I will give him an equal opportunity to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Thanks, I am not looking forward to what all I need to do to my house (and it is only 10 years old). I KNOW I don't have the patience to be a nice guy and with 5 kids in the house that we homeschool in it would be too much. I might have to send my family to the beach for a few weeks when I get ready to do some real house work.

It looks like it will turn out great and you'll certainly appreciate your bed and love it more now, once you get in it that is.
    Good luck with your projects, Paco.

I'm already planning redoing our bathroom and JD is making gagging noises every time I bring it up. I think I will let him be high on the new bedroom for a while before I start tearing up our bathroom floor.

I think I'm confident enough in our skills to do the bathroom by ourselves.

Lima don't kill me...

Leave it to a woman to turn "painting a bedroom" into rebuilding a house....

(running for cover)
    JD, limatunes and OD* like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Lima don't kill me...

(running for cover)
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

JD
    Administrator
    Lima don't kill me...

(running for cover)
    I can oftern be heard muttering "All she wanted to do was paint..."

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I too can be heard muttering the exact same phrase.

The reno looks good and it's great to have found a contractor you like and trust to do a good job on your home. I hope yall get to be in your new room and bed soon!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I do admit I snapped at him the other night while we were sanding walls but later apologized. I'm not too big or proud to admit when I've acted the fool.
    ...or too ready for bedroom, #4 :
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Lima don't kill me...

(running for cover)
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Ha ha! Now that is funny stuff! : ) Hang in there JD.

Maybe now that Lima is a Marine too you guys can paint a big EG&A on one of the bedroom walls. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Tell us more about the found rooms!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ha ha! Now that is funny stuff! : ) Hang in there JD.

Maybe now that Lima is a Marine too you guys can paint a big EG&A on one of the bedroom walls. :)
    Correction: I am not a Marine. I was discharged from the DEP due to my knees. I kept getting bruising around my knees and severe pain when I ran. After three months of doctors and therapy and x-rays and everything else the sports medicine doctor said that if I went through with Boot Camp and kept up my high-impact physical activity level I would permanently damage my knees. She wrote a letter stating she would recommend my discharge.

So, I'm stuck being.. just Lima.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Tell us more about the found rooms!
    There was this space you could see from the outside of our house that seemed to be pretty large but there was absolutely no way to access it. All of the walls on the inside of the house were completely sealed off.

So when we were deconstructing our old master bedroom there was a rotted hole in the wall that accessed that space and it turned out to be a 12 x 22 foot space that was completely walled off. It was complete with a boarded up window and door but nothing else.

That was the space we decided to turn into our new bedroom. But because the ceilings were slanted all the way down to the floor we decided, for the benefit of space, to bump up one side of the roof.

It looks really nice and the room has twice the living space it would have had otherwise.

It was funny though, when I posted on Facebook about finding this room and debating whether or not we should make a bedroom out of it or what a friend of mine said, "Ask around town and when people start talking about the person who went missing in that house x-number of years ago BOARD THAT SUCKER BACK UP!"

I took some video of it and, of course, it was PITCH BLACK so I took a flash light and was using the flashlight to light up the room and that same friend said, "I keep waiting for the ghostly face of the deceased to float past the screen whenever I watch this video. Hidden spaces in houses are always suspicious."

LOL.. so far no ghosts have insisted we stop.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Maybe the ghost is happy to finally be out of that room.

Sheesh .... 'paint this room' becomes bumping up the roof. I'm impressed. A little frightened by the prospect of my wife ever finding this thread, but impressed nonetheless.
    limatunes likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    finding that space computed against your previous cost per sq foot kinda takes the financial sting out of the project.

did town hall land records have it figured into your total sq footage--rephrase that--
    im not sure if you always knew about the 'space' (you could see from the outside of our house that seemed to be pretty large but there was absolutely no way to access it).
    so, how long have you lived with the mystery? any idea what year the house was built?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Congrats and DARN YOU...for reminding me I need to strip my bedroom and bathroom and remodel! I've been putting mine off. I'm a professional procrastinator. The pics you posted look good so far though. I love old houses. Don't like the repair time, but love em. When I was a kid we lived in a place built in the 1800's for a while. We were always finding pleasant and some unpleasant surprises.
    limatunes likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    finding that space computed against your previous cost per sq foot kinda takes the financial sting out of the project.

did town hall land records have it figured into your total sq footage--rephrase that--
    im not sure if you always knew about the 'space' (you could see from the outside of our house that seemed to be pretty large but there was absolutely no way to access it).
    so, how long have you lived with the mystery? any idea what year the house was built?
    The abstract goes back to 1910, but the house is probably older.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    I always knew the space existed (it's hard to hide that much space) but I wasn't curious enough to start knocking down walls until they had to come down anyway. We lived here about a year before we knocked down that wall.

As JD said, the abstract goes back to 1910 but I found a newspaper from 1890 in the walls while we were deconstructing. This is one old little house.

You will surely deserve a good nights sleep when it's all finished. It's going to look great.
    S&W 640-3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links