Nearing The End-Finally

This is a discussion on Nearing The End-Finally within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lookin' good....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nearing The End-Finally

OD*
    Lookin' good.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Got one more before/current...

Before:

Now:

Oh yeah...Another good reason to remodel old houses. Regarding the newspapers in the walls, you'd be surprised the things you find in REALLY old houses. You have to take into account during certain periods in our history not everyone had happy feelings about their money being in a bank so they would hide it all over the place. Over the years, through general forgetfullness, old age/senility, etc... stuff would be forgotten and left behind.

When I was a kid we had this old cabinet/desk thing that had been left by the original homeowner(since long deceased). The house was built around 1860's IIRC. My dad was frustrated with the poor drawer fit and constant trouble closing which is when he decided to pull the drawers and look. They had wallpapered the interior of the drawer slots(kinda odd me realizes now). Anyway, there had been this lump in the back of one of the slots for the drawers for this thing. He promptly pulled out a pocket knife and cut the paper away to reveal an old dusty leather coin purse. Upon opening the purse we discovered it was packed FULL of silver coins. This was not the first nor the last find in that house...

Let it be known...old houses and old furniture can be fun to pull apart.
    limatunes likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Unfortunately we have not found any money..lol. We did find an old child's toy floor sweeper which was fun.

One thing that was very frustrating about this house was its lack of power outlets. GRRR.. We are modern people. We need at least 100 outlets per bedroom and in our MASTER bedroom previously there were TWO. I had extention cords run all over the place so when I drew up my electrical plan for the electrician he laughed at how many outlets I put in my plan but gave them to me.

I am overrun in power outlets but happily so! Not to mention they will actually be 3-prong outlets! SCORE!

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Leave it to a woman to turn "painting a bedroom" into rebuilding a house....
    Is that you, hubby? :)
    similar experience, although not THAT extensive.
    congrats on seeing the finish line!

Lima, this sure make the term "nesting" take on a whole new meaning. My Wife never remodeled anything when she was pregnant, worst I ever had it was to move some furniture around.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I always knew the space existed (it's hard to hide that much space) but I wasn't curious enough to start knocking down walls until they had to come down anyway. We lived here about a year before we knocked down that wall.

As JD said, the abstract goes back to 1910 but I found a newspaper from 1890 in the walls while we were deconstructing. This is one old little house.
    If only it had been Gold Bullion from 1890...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Lima, this sure make the term "nesting" take on a whole new meaning. My Wife never remodeled anything when she was pregnant, worst I ever had it was to move some furniture around.
    HAHA.. well.. like I said, we started this project before I got pregnant and getting pregnant was just one more reason to step it up and get it finished.

This is our literal list of things left to do (not necessarily in this order but it depends on when stuff gets here):
    paint
    put the windows in
    put the siding on
    hang doors and trim
    install the lights and ceiling fans
    get the wires connected to our electric panel
    get our built-in dressers installed
    put in our closet shelving
    carpet
    move all of our stuff from our living room/garage/basement/kitchen/office BACK to where it belongs in bedrooms.

Considering everything we've done and how long it's taken to get from there to here I DO NOT consider that a bad list at all.

Oh, I forgot that we are also having a railing/banister put on the top of our stairway and down the stairs as well but that's purely cosmetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    If only it had been Gold Bullion from 1890...
    No kidding!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links