Nearing The End-Finally

Nearing The End-Finally

This is a discussion on Nearing The End-Finally within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In June of LAST year I decided I wanted to paint our (then) Master Bedroom which looked like this: The only problem was the current ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nearing The End-Finally

Senior Moderator

Nearing The End-Finally

In June of LAST year I decided I wanted to paint our (then) Master Bedroom which looked like this:

The only problem was the current "color scheme" was painted over wallpaper that was sagging off the walls and generally looked like crap.

Being the ambitious woman that I am I decided to scrap all of the wallpaper off the walls and start over fresh......

Long story short: After mold, water damage, asbestos removal, finding lost rooms in our house, and lots of consulting with many different people we embarked on a project to add a completely new Master Bedroom to our house.

It's been a year + of sleeping on the couch or in our office on a futon and we are about a week away from finally moving in to our new space.

And the process looks something like this:

JD is about ready to KILL to sleep in a real bed again (as am I). And we should have about .. oh ... about three months of enjoying our lives being back to normal before we have baby #2 to change everything all over again.

Now, I'm off to texture my hallway!

Pray for me.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Congratulations, and good luck!
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Nice work.. We are about to undergo a similar pain-in-the-rear as we add on some rooms to the back of our house.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

They would have to put me in one of the very long sleeve coats, you know the kind that buckle in the back. You should get some kind of Nobel Prize for surviving this. Between mold, water damage, and asbestos removal, that looks like a 60k project - ouch.

Good luck on getting it finished and being able to enjoy your labors.

Wow, just wow.

Been there and done that a couple of times. The house we have now is the only new house we have owned. All others have needed some tweaking. Good luck with your project. Looks like you have a plan.

VIP Member
    Glad it is finally nearly over. I hate doing home repairs. They never seem to come out the way I wanted whether I do them myself or hire them out. Hope you have had better luck and the final result will be EXACTLY what you two needed and wanted.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Between mold, water damage, and asbestos removal, that looks like a 60k project - ouch.
    If it had been that much we would have said, "Forget it!"

I won't lie and say it was cheap but worth it when you consider that our house was really only a two-bedroom and now it is a three. When we started the project we didn't know if we were going to try to have another baby or not but decided just in case it would be nice to have a third bedroom that we could use as an office should we decide not to have another baby.. then, in the middle of this project.... wouldn't you know it... I end up pregnant! And it turns out to be a girl or else I'd have been more than happy to have the siblings share a room.

JD says he greatly admires my patience and cheerful spirit throughout all of this and I, too, admire his. Both of us are suffering some pretty bad back and/or hip problems these last few months due to the horrendous sleeping arrangements and to make it worse we have a brand-new mattress and bed set waiting in a warehouse to be delivered. They call me weekly asking if they can deliver it and I keep telling her, "Trust me, lady, there's no one who wants to say, 'yes,' more than me." We are painting this week and then there should be no reason we can't have our bed delivered. We won't have any electricity in our bedroom yet but at least we'll be able to sleep there!

Little things, right? lol

I grew up in a "construction zone." My parents have remodeled their house or added here or there every couple of years since before I was born. I'm quite a bit more used to it than JD is but he's been so patient. God Bless Him!!

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    A lady after my own heart. Just like many of the projects I seem to get myself into. Just can't bring myself to start in the middle. Have to go back to the beginning every time. Glad your getting to the end. BTW if you did all that yourself I want to marry you. But betting your smarter than that LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    A lady after my own heart. Just like many of the projects I seem to get myself into. Just can't bring myself to start in the middle. Have to go back to the beginning every time. Glad your getting to the end. BTW if you did all that yourself I want to marry you. But betting your smarter than that LOL
    Oh no!! We did not do this ourselves.

While I've watched many such projects being done by my parents we simply didn't have the tools or time or experience to do it ourselves. Especially when you get into roof work and supporting walls, etc. YIKES!

Throughout the entire process my Dad has been saying, "Oh, well, that's not hard. We could have done that." Yeah, it's not hard if you've done it thirteen times and have three out-buildings full of the tools with which to do it, not to mention a dozen able-body family members within a five-mile radius willing to help at the beckoning of a phone call.

We have none of those things.

I must say I have felt very guilty watching other people work on my house. I felt even more guilty when they textured my hallway on Friday and I hated it. So yesterday I went up there with some sandpaper and sanded off all of their texture and am going to do my own today and say, "SURPRISE!" when they show up on Monday.

It feels really good to finally be getting involved instead of watching from the side-lines and directing people what to do.

Thankfully my contractors have been AWESOME! It's going to feel lonely without them trekking through my house all week. They've been here every weekday for three months.

Quite an adventure! I recognize the old house symptoms - boarded-off space, finding old window and door frames, and the tell-tale traces of plaster lath on the studs. I "enjoyed" (= endured) the same things at a couple of homes I've lived in, and it's fun to think about what the place looked like when it was first built. Mysteries revealed when the sheet rock and plaster get stripped off!
    JD is about ready to KILL to sleep in a real bed again (as am I).
    At least you're not ready to kill each other as a result of such a drawn-out project! Nice work.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I did a lot of construction/destruction back in my younger days,I do not envy you,but back in those days we could buil a new 2 story 3 bedroom for around $70,000.I bought a newer 4 bedroom this time around,except the smallest bedroom was turned into my gun/reloading room.My dog can pick whichever bed she wants to sleep on,but at night she climbs up on my bed,nuttin like waking up to doggy breath in the morning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Mysteries revealed when the sheet rock and plaster get stripped off!
    We found a newspaper magazine ad from 1890 under the floor boards advertising dresses for $.10. THAT should give you some idea as to how old this house is.

I've been considering adding a few things into the cracks of our house before it's completely sealed off as well should anyone else ever live here and renovate. I think it's pretty neat to do the time-capsule thing.

My dad hid a newspaper and a couple of Newsweek Magazines in their bathroom the first time they renovated it in 1984. They redid their bathroom just last year and found them and thought it was pretty cool to see exactly what was going on almost 30 years ago.

And nah... we are far too easy going to let this kind of stuff get to us..lol.

I do admit I snapped at him the other night while we were sanding walls but later apologized. I'm not too big or proud to admit when I've acted the fool.

Administrator
    Looks like your place has "really good bones" AKA nice solid structure.

They really over built them back then.

Wow, that's a lot of work...my back is starting to hurt just looking...

It will be worth all the work when you can sit back, sip a cup of coffee, and admire the finished product...good luck with your endeavors.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks, I am not looking forward to what all I need to do to my house (and it is only 10 years old). I KNOW I don't have the patience to be a nice guy and with 5 kids in the house that we homeschool in it would be too much. I might have to send my family to the beach for a few weeks when I get ready to do some real house work.

It looks like it will turn out great and you'll certainly appreciate your bed and love it more now, once you get in it that is.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links