What to do about a city that engages in illegal searches?

This is a discussion on What to do about a city that engages in illegal searches? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Things are kinda coming to a head in my town. The police are fine, it is the city government who keep trampling people's rights. Example, ...

Thread: What to do about a city that engages in illegal searches?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

Things are kinda coming to a head in my town. The police are fine, it is the city government who keep trampling people's rights.

Example, a couple of years ago, a city employee was observed on my private property opening my vehicles and digging through the contents. Supposedly I had violated some ordinance, which nobody had heard of until a few months earlier. What is more, the city refuses to provide anyone with a copy of the local ordinances, even for a fee. Even if I had violated all of them there is no reason for anyone to be digging though my personal effects on my property without a warrant.

When I complained directly to the mayor, I was told in no uncertain terms that the city would do whatever the ##@#$ it wanted to do.
    Now, they are intent on tearing down some older houses in a part of town because they are "unsightly". The worst part is, they are trying to tear these houses down and charge the owners for doing it. They have been using intimidation and threats of legal action if people won't let city employees inside to inspect the places, which they invariably claim needs to be torn down.

I would like to join forces with other like minded people in my community, but I don't know the first thing about getting something like this started.

Any suggestions?

As distasteful as it may sound, call the ACLU.

At least they're good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    As distasteful as it may sound, call the ACLU.

At least they're good for something.
    I doubt they would be interested.(We are not minorities , we aren't pro terrorist, nor do we wish to sodomize children, etc etc.)

The ACLJ might be a good Idea though.

Assistant Administrator
    Geez - sounds like somewhere other than America

I guess some ''asking around'' for starters - get the feel of how much local folks are also upset. Unbelievable - I mean, if no one is allowed to see local ordinances - how in heck are they supposed to follow them.

By all accounts you have a dictator as a mayor, not to mention his cohorts. Time to speak with the voters on this one!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lol, I agree, I am looking for ideas on how to get in touch with like minded people. This is a small community, where even the paper, doesn't get the news out.

I am not usually the type of person to start something like this, but I feel the time has come for someone to do something. I just really don't have a good plan as to what that something is, nor how to accomplish it. We have more than our share of level headed people in this town, but need ideas as to how to get the word out, and get something organized.

Assistant Administrator
    Bryan - I am thinking - door to door - approach folks and get opinions. The more you find and add to a list - the stronger you become.

I can see no alternative right now. Strength has to be in numbers and then representation can become reality. These guys are elected - they can (and seemingly must) be thrown out.

This is all unconstitutional and against all sane administration.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    ..... a city employee was observed on my private property opening my vehicles and digging through the contents. .........Any suggestions?
    You should have called the police right then & there & had the person arrested. If the local PD would not do it, I would have called the state police.

That person committed a crime! Trespassing at the least, robbery at worst!

Stand up for yourself, no one else will.............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

DC Founder
    I agree with goawayfarm. I would have called the state police if the local PD wouldn't touch it, and with a bully mayor that wouldn't surprise me.

On contacting others, I would go back to the mayor and re-ask my questions. If he balks again I would inform him that you were not giving up and you would do everything in your power to see that he wasn't elected again. Maybe talking to someone in the city/town council would get you a partner in tossing him out of office. If that doesn't work, go talk to the people that are getting charged to get their property demolished. I expect they would help you get an overthrow going. Then approach the local newspaper and give them a scoop. Tell them if they don't want to print it, a nearby paper can have the scoop instead. You may also want to contact the county attorney and/or the state attorney general, state and federal legislators, etc. I'm betting you will find more support than you hoped for..... Good luck!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm
    You should have called the police right then & there & had the person arrested. If the local PD would not do it, I would have called the state police.

That person committed a crime! Trespassing at the least, robbery at worst!

Stand up for yourself, no one else will.............
    I agree, unfortunately I didn't witness it myself. My mother caught the guy, and confronted him. By the time I got involved he had already left the scene. I wish now that I had pursued it from that angle but having had a decent working relationship with our former mayor I mistakenly chose that route.

If a similar event ever unfolds here again, you can bet I won't make the same mistake twice.

While this is technically still a small town, there are very few public venues, where you can reach multiple people. The news paper is out, as well. Most of the conservative locals gave up on it years ago. The only thing the Anderson News has been good for in recent years is printing embarrassing front page stories about the few locals willing to stand up to this crap. The last time, it happened, a story about our coroner going to a strip club was more important to these moonbats than the news about one of our service men, dying as a result of wounds suffered in Iraq. The picture of our coroner, was HUGE and the article took up 2/3 of the front page. There was a little 3 or 4" picture of our fallen hero, and the article was continued on another page.
    When I read the story in the paper about those houses, they made it sound as if the houses were rat infested dumps about to collapse. As far as I can tell, only one of them is on the verge of collapsing, and nobody is making a fuss over that one being torn down, because the property has been abandoned for close to 30 years.

I have been thinking seriously about renting space on the only billboard in town. Unfortunately I have not been able to determine who owns it yet. I was planning on putting up the web address to an internet forum where locals could discuss these and similar issues. Considering my crazy work schedule, it might be the easiest way to get the word out.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I would do the following:

- Contact other like-minded locals and get their commitment to work with you or give you info necessary to follow thru.

- Contact the Inspector General's Office at the State House with the info on malfeasance (etc., I'm not a lawyer but acts here seem to be going beyond powers of office) and file a complaint. It is my understanding that the complaints can be filed without your name being public if you wish as the IG is the official "whistle blower" on gov't running amok for a specific state.

- Perhaps contact a major city news station that will do an exposé on such antics. A public spotlight on such activity is akin to cockroaches seeing daylight!

Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    LenS is exactly right and what I was going to suggest with the IG's office. Get a written response from the Mayor and send it to the IG's office. From there they should have someone contact you. Let them know about the subtle intimidation tactics.

I imagine if you had more than a few of these forum members in this town, the Mayor would be looking forward to an insurrection. haha I do also like LenS's idea of contact a TV station. Dig through CNN and MSNBC websites, too. The MAJOR networks are always looking for filler stories and small-town-relate-to-the-viewer stuff. After my friend Taylor went missing, some of my friends started a letter campaign to FoxNews and Greta VanSustern got involved.

That sounds completely unacceptable. I dunno about KY, but if you are caught doing something like that in northern AZ... if you don't have a badge and a good reason, you are quite liable to get shot.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    I doubt they would be interested.(We are not minorities , we aren't pro terrorist, nor do we wish to sodomize children, etc etc.)
    The ACLU hates overzealous police as much as any rock ribbed, gun toting Libertarian. This is the one area they are actually on "our side". I just suggest putting them to work (maybe it'll keep one of their lawyers too busy to further the cause of minority terrorist sodomites for a while too)

Also, I bet your mayor is white

Contact a lawyer.

Sponsored Links