Ban of Felons from professional sports?

This is a discussion on Ban of Felons from professional sports? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If they do, it should be a league decision, not a political issue. I already find it the height of silliness that there are actual ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ban of Felons from professional sports?

If they do, it should be a league decision, not a political issue. I already find it the height of silliness that there are actual laws against doping in baseball - I don't want to see government regulation of other sports.

2. Remove Ads

I agree it should never touch anything political. Our tax dollars are being wasted with the steroid stuff. But I do think the leagues owe it to the public to keep the leagues free of crap in general. (drugs, criminals etc.)
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I am my angry about the fact that other than being a fool and dropping his weapon he is a victim of NYC's draconian gun laws, in many places he may have gotten a misdemeanor charge for being in the bar with a gun but making him into a felon because of the idiotic gun laws in places like nyc bug me more. The sad fact is that many real bad guys get off with nothing for gun possession, they made the charges heavy against buress because of his celebrity status, if he was just another guy he'd have gotten much lighter treatment
    You stole my thunder, I was going to mention that Buress actually got screwed. Heck shooting yourself is bad enough!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Professional atheletes are modern day gladiators. They are disposable and when one breaks, someone else will fill his shoes. I love football but could really care less about the players. Entertain me gladiator, and no, I don't care to hear you or the coach interviewed.

Looking up to atheletes is childish at best. They play games meant to entertain us. I could care less what they think or feel. I care about how they can play, and that's it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It may be childish to look up to them which is why I suggest this because so many kids due look up to them.
    rammerjammer likes this.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

In an ideal world, professional athletes should be sitting around complaining about the salaries of teachers...but that's not the way it is.
    mr.stuart and rammerjammer like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My only thoughts on this.... Are not all Felon's are created equal....

Exhibit A) Plaxico Burress

Exhibit B) Micheal Vick

I think one deserves a second chance.... and the other one should've been in jail a lot longer.... I'll let you guys figure out which is which....

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I think of another way to look at the role model issue. Kids look up to these guys and their gangsta lifestyles. Maybe seeing them get into trouble is a good thing for them to see, especially if the athlete becomes a better citizen after jail.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by RRizzo View Post
    My only thoughts on this.... Are not all Felon's are created equal....

Exhibit A) Plaxico Burress

Exhibit B) Micheal Vick

I think one deserves a second chance.... and the other one should've been in jail a lot longer.... I'll let you guys figure out which is which....
    I can't figure it out, I'd just as soon see both of them still in prison.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    This is America and Plaxico has served his sentence. His debt is paid and he is now a free man. Why shouldn't he be allowed to work in his chosen career field?
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This is America and Plaxico has served his sentence. His debt is paid and he is now a free man. Why shouldn't he be allowed to work in his chosen career field?
    In theory I agree with you. I am a probation officer. Probation is an alternative to prison, parole is a reward for good behavior in prison. Needless to say I have spent my share of time with convicted felons who have or are paying their debt to society as ordered by our judicial system. They dont usually get to do their chosen profession because of their records. I am a very conservative person and a very big proponent of proper punishment for criminal behavior. There is a huge double standard if you have a sports, or artitsitc talent (TV/Movie, Music, etc.)

VIP Member
    There is a huge double standard if you have a sports, or artitsitc talent (TV/Movie, Music, etc.)
    Very true, but being talented is not Plaxico's fault, or anyone's for that matter. Talent is a blessing from God. Can the pot take credit for the work of the potters hand?

I hope he prospers in life from here on out.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

For the most part I agree with second chances. But guys like Leonard Little who plays/played for the St Louis Rams drive me nuts. He had >DUI's and finally killed someone on the last. Yet he was allowed to come back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links