Ban of Felons from professional sports?

This is a discussion on Ban of Felons from professional sports? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I was watching ESPN yesterday, and they were interviewing 34 yr old Plaxico Burress. He recently signed with the NY Jets as a wide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ban of Felons from professional sports?

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319

    Ban of Felons from professional sports?

    So I was watching ESPN yesterday, and they were interviewing 34 yr old Plaxico Burress. He recently signed with the NY Jets as a wide reciever after his recent release from prison on gun charges. They acted like he was a great guy and never even mentioned his prison time or the gun charges in relation to his career. The professional sports leagues MLB. NBA, and NFL all seem to try and promote family within their sport, and have partnerships wth United Way, Boys and Girls Club etc.

    There are some great athletes out there who do great work off the field, court etc. and these few felons are able to return to the regular world making millions after committing serious crimes. What is this teaching our children? I do understand and am a proponent of giving people second chances after they have paid their debts to society, but I think these people should not be allowed to return to professional sports.

    Not sure why this bothers me but it does. Discuss.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Spade115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    603
    Its just like in school's the sports teams get special treatment no matter what they do or crimes they commite has always been that way as far as I remember and have been told. Athletes are held to a higher standard than military/law enforcement and political.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

  4. #3
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coopersville
    Posts
    11,002
    The punishment should fit the crime.

    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

    "There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    If they banned felons they wouldn't have too many players left.
    OD* and ArkhmAsylm like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  6. #5
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coopersville
    Posts
    11,002
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    If they banned felons they wouldn't have too many players left.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

    "There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    He paid for his mistake,If he had a team willing to sign him more power to him.Not everybody that does time is a lifer,there are people that make bad decisions and end up getting a vehicular manslaughter rap or worse.A lot of times when employers see convicted felon on a Job App they don't even ask what for,they just "file 17" it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    He paid for his mistake,If he had a team willing to sign him more power to him.Not everybody that does time is a lifer,there are people that make bad decisions and end up getting a vehicular manslaughter rap or worse.A lot of times when employers see convicted felon on a Job App they don't even ask what for,they just "file 17" it
    I agree 100% I work with convicted felons everyday, assisiting in their rehabilitation. I disagree with the way these thugs are allowed to return to their glorious lifestyle as celebrities and "role models" as professional athletes. It teacches our younger people and generations that even if you commit a mjor crime you can still have that Bentley with your jersey number stitched in the head rest and have millions of people reward you for said behavior.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211
    The way this country elevates and rewards those who play professional sports or pretend to be someone else in the movies and on television or entertain musically is beyond my comprehension.

    Yes I know it's about endorsements and selling tickets and making money but what kind of message does it send to the average young person.

    The chances of getting into the posistion to live this lifestyle are slim to none for the overwelming majority.

    Make as much money as you can however you can as fast as you can seems to be the mantra of today.

    The times are changing and have been for a long time now.

    Ozzie and Harriet are long gone.

    My rant.

    OS
    Last edited by Old School; August 2nd, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
    wmhawth and msgt/ret like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  10. #9
    Ex Member Array apvbguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    1,076
    I am my angry about the fact that other than being a fool and dropping his weapon he is a victim of NYC's draconian gun laws, in many places he may have gotten a misdemeanor charge for being in the bar with a gun but making him into a felon because of the idiotic gun laws in places like nyc bug me more. The sad fact is that many real bad guys get off with nothing for gun possession, they made the charges heavy against buress because of his celebrity status, if he was just another guy he'd have gotten much lighter treatment
    OD* likes this.

  11. #10
    cmb
    cmb is offline
    Senior Member Array cmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    829
    We love to rank our sins and compare ourselves to others, makes us look that much better, or so we think...
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

    "Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

    "Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

  12. #11
    Member Array torgo1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    The way this country elevates and rewards those who play professional sports or pretend to be someone else in the movies and on television or entertain musically is beyond my comprehension.
    Why do you hate capitalism? Free markets?

    Yes I know it's about endorsements and selling tickets and making money but what kind of message does it send to the average young person.
    That you can make a lot of money making a lot more money for someone else.

    The chances of getting into the posistion to live this lifestyle are slim to none for the overwelming majority.
    Bootstraps! American dream! Hard work, anyone can succeed!

    Make as much money as you can however you can as fast as you can seems to be the mantra of today.
    Yes, we've never encouraged people to make as much money as possible. We've never given highest regard to careers that pay the most money.

    Ozzie and Hariette are long gone.
    They never were.
    packinnova likes this.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,542
    We can't even keep felons out of serving a political office, what chance do we stand of having sports be any better?
    cmb likes this.

  14. #13
    cmb
    cmb is offline
    Senior Member Array cmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    We can't even keep felons out of serving a political office, what chance do we stand of having sports be any better?
    sometimes we even know they are felons before we elect them!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

    "Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

    "Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I am my angry about the fact that other than being a fool and dropping his weapon he is a victim of NYC's draconian gun laws, in many places he may have gotten a misdemeanor charge for being in the bar with a gun but making him into a felon because of the idiotic gun laws in places like nyc bug me more. The sad fact is that many real bad guys get off with nothing for gun possession, they made the charges heavy against buress because of his celebrity status, if he was just another guy he'd have gotten much lighter treatment
    His status is a double edged sword though. Status was used as an excuse that these young stars feel they need to carry a gun for protection due to being targets, after this incident. His staus in NYC and the ability to pay would most certainly have guaranteed himbeing granted a permit, in that same draconian system.

    If he had been following the law he probably wouldnt have been prosecuted. Yes he may have got the hammer because he was a star, but he also gets paid more in one game than most Americans do for 1-2 years of work. If ya want the honey you might get stung going to the hive. Stars of all genre sports acting music etc want the fame when it makes them money but want people to leave them alone when its inconvenient.

    If he had gotten a free pass for this because he was a football star, he wouldnt have declined their generosity, and people would be crying foul.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array packinnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    So I was watching ESPN yesterday, and they were interviewing 34 yr old Plaxico Burress. He recently signed with the NY Jets as a wide reciever after his recent release from prison on gun charges. They acted like he was a great guy and never even mentioned his prison time or the gun charges in relation to his career. The professional sports leagues MLB. NBA, and NFL all seem to try and promote family within their sport, and have partnerships wth United Way, Boys and Girls Club etc.

    There are some great athletes out there who do great work off the field, court etc. and these few felons are able to return to the regular world making millions after committing serious crimes. What is this teaching our children? I do understand and am a proponent of giving people second chances after they have paid their debts to society, but I think these people should not be allowed to return to professional sports.

    Not sure why this bothers me but it does. Discuss.
    The only solution to this, if it really were a problem would be to fix our fouled up judicial system. You have to ask a number of questions:
    Was the person described dangerous or not. Was this persons crime so terrible that they should be denied their lively hood for life? If so, WHY ARE THEY OUT OF PRISON or NOT IN A PINE BOX!

    If not, SUCK IT UP. Move on.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

    "Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can a felon play pro baseball
,

can felons play professional sports

,
convics in professional sports
,
convicted felons in pro sports
,
convicted felons in professional sports
,

convicted felons playing pro sports

,
convicted felons professional sports
,

felons in pro sports

,

felons in professional sports

,

should convicted felons be able to play professional sports and get paid millions

,

should convicted felons be allowed to play professional sports

,
why are convicted felons allowed to play professional sports
Click on a term to search for related topics.