Family felons

This is a discussion on Family felons within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a 28 yr old son (from my first marriage), that has a felony record. Since getting out of prison he has gotten married ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family felons

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

Family felons

I have a 28 yr old son (from my first marriage), that has a felony record. Since getting out of prison he has gotten married and I now have four wonderful grandchildren. I love my son and his family, I love it when we can visit, and when they can visit us. He knows that I have a substantial gun collection in the house (including some pieces belonging to my great grandfather). My wife and I carry 24/7 and one of us is always open carrying at home. However, we all know that convicted felons cannot have access to a firearms. I still keep everything locked up, but during visits I have to switch to deep carry mode. I don't want to risk the temptation, and running afoul of the law. It is specially hard when we visit them as they are not allowed to have any guns in the house.

Does anyone else here have a similar situation?

How do you deal with it?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    p8riot, I feel that you are making this more complicated than it really is. Don't know about your term,"access to firearms".

My feelings on the subject are this.--> It IS NOT illegal for you to be in his residence with a lawfully carried firearm. It IS NOT illegal for him to be in your residence with you or your wife carring lawfully owned or carried firearms. It IS NOT illegal to show him your gun collection(although you might want to give this some serious consideration).It IS illegal for you to loan him a firearm or for him to shoot yours at the range. Also,I believe that IT IS illegal for him to be in posession of ammo.

(Caution: I am not a lawyer.) These are just my beliefs. --------

tec
    You say it's your son, do you think he's going to grab for one of your guns? Or, are you worried about it from a legal aspect and don't want to get him in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by tec
    You say it's your son, do you think he's going to grab for one of your guns? Or, are you worried about it from a legal aspect and don't want to get him in trouble?
    My primary concern is that he not get into trouble. Personally, I think he can be trusted.

Additionally, we live on 7.5 acres and I have a private range. I'd like for him to be able to shoot with me here at home, but I don't want him to get into trouble.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You supply him firearms and ammo(or he bring his own to your property), this knowing he is a convicted felon,and you'll be in very deep doo-doo. Now you are clearly (with INTENT) breaking the law.

You might not want to hear this but I feel that you are now trying to single out your son for special treatment so as to circumvent the law.

If you truly believe that convicted felons SHOULD be able to buy,own,and posess firearms,then you should lobby to have the laws changed.

Please let us here know if(?) you do decide to intentionally supply firearms to a convicted felon(any convicted felon). At that time,I reserve the right to comment further.

Please sir,think long and hard about your decissions. I would not want to see either you or him,have problems with the law. Or especially,for you to become ..............a convicted felon. -------------

Assistant Administrator
    Legal input is needed IMO to clarify things fully and I'll add too that we do not want any illegal acts proposed on CC.

Looking at the theory tho I am aware that your son cannot in essence have anything to do with guns in an active sense - including shooting someone else's. I can fully understand your concerns and even wishes but this is something that needs played straight and 100% legit - even small cracks could have dire consequnces.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps a call to the local prosecutor can clear up your specific questions. I know , it is illegal for a felon to be loaned a gun, even to shoot on a range, you also would be violating the law by knowingly supplying the gun/ammo.
    Too bad he cannot shoot with you, but he did make his own life decisions.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    You supply him firearms and ammo(or he bring his own to your property), this knowing he is a convicted felon,and you'll be in very deep doo-doo. Now you are clearly (with INTENT) breaking the law.

You might not want to hear this but I feel that you are now trying to single out your son for special treatment so as to circumvent the law.
    Thanks for your concern.

First, let me say that I haven't done this. Just that I'd like to be able to, but I have resigned myself to the fact a long time ago that it's not something that will ever happen and, as other folks have said, he has made his own choices. I am not trying to single him out for special treatment.

My initial question was meant to deal with carrying around a family member who was a known felon, and how that was dealt with. In the same house, car etc....

Assistant Administrator
    Subject to a definitive legal answer, I reckon if you are carrying concealed around a felon and the gun is totally under your control you are OK and legal.

That is tho just my take!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Not a felon, but also ineligible due to a domestic violence conviction. My half sister. I carry. The gun is in my possession at all times, never in her possession. I see it as no different than walking down the street with a gun. How many ineligible people do I meet each day? Just because I happen to know my half-sister is ineligible doesn't change my status any. However, I will not loan her or otherwise allow her to possess any of my firearms or ammunition. I've also warned everyone else in the family who has guns not to do it either. Just isn't worth it to us or to her.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Please let us here know if(?) you do decide to intentionally supply firearms to a convicted felon(any convicted felon). At that time,I reserve the right to comment further.
    I got a better idea, how about.. not telling us?

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot
    I'd like for him to be able to shoot with me here at home, but I don't want him to get into trouble.
    Well, there's access to firearms (ie, shooting with you/yours), and there's ownership of firearms. Depends on the laws. IIRC, generally it's ownership that's barred. Am assuming he's not on parole, which carries its own legal restrictions above and beyond any 'base' law. But, definitely get some knowledgeable legal advice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

DC Founder
    I'm by no means an attorney, either, but my understanding is that if he in any way picks one up, loaded or unloaded, would be considered possession and a violation of the law. Someone with more of a legal background may want to comment here. I would maintain a look but don't touch policy....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

p8riot, from the sound of your initial post, I am assuming that the felony was several years ago. It also sounds like he's done a very good job of turning his life around. It might be well worth it to make a few inquiries on obtaining a pardon and restoring his rights.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I'd like for him to be able to shoot with me here at home, but I don't want him to get into trouble.
    persue expungment of the record , contact a local attny for the requirements of your state .

As i understand the law nationwide it is fine for you to carry at his house ( barring a specific court order of NO weapons at the house , which in that case police could not legaly respond there so its a non issue ) You must maintain control and possesion of the firearm tho , dont unthinkingly lay it down on a coffee table and go check the grill so to speak .

Best of luck to you and your boy on the issue , it can be cleared up with enough time and attention .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links