One Second After

One Second After

This is a discussion on One Second After within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading some old posts on here yesterday and someone mentioned the book One Second After in a post. i ended up finding it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gixxerboy1k

Thread: One Second After

One Second After

I was reading some old posts on here yesterday and someone mentioned the book One Second After in a post. i ended up finding it on my iphone and ended up reading the whole book last night. so thanks to whoever has talked about this book on here before as it is a great book and seems like exactly what would happen if a shtf situation happened, and i would recommend reading it if you haven't all ready i couldn't put it down was up way to late reading it
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    That is a great book, it was a really good read that was suggested to me by a LEO friend.

The best part is the forward and the afterword, and the knowledge that the book doesn't offer anything that's truly out of the realm of possibility.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

i havent read the forward or the afterword yet as it was one when i finished reading it last night and had to wake up as six so i was rushing to get done so i could sleep haha

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    It is a good read

VIP Member
    Author?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Author?
    William R. Forstchen

Amazon.com: One Second After (9780765317582): William R. Forstchen, Newt Gingrich: Books

Just picked it up!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

I think I already have it downloaded on my Kindle. Just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. If not, it's on my Kindle wish list.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm waiting on the Cliff Note version...J/K I really need to get back into reading,when I was in elementary school I could read a book every couple of days
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

im the same way i love reading it just gets put onto the back burner and the problem is once i find a good book i don't want to stop reading it ha ha and will usually sit down and read the whole thing

Amongst the books I recommend, certainly.

In order of my recommendation:

1. Griftopia By Matt Taibbi ( Some of the causes of the current financial crisis)
    2. Crash Proof 2.0 By Peter D. Schiff (What you should've done to protect yourself from the current financial crisis, maybe.)
    3. Patriots By James Wesley Rawles (Small Group survival after "The Crash")
    4. One Second After By William R. Forstchen (Metro community survival after a catastrophic event).
    5. The Road By Cormac McCarthy (One man and a boy surviving in a post apocalyptic world {PAW} Long after The Crash)

Movies:
    1. The Book of Eli (a PAW movie you only need to see once or maybe twice to "get it")
    2. Zombieland (Why cardio and the "double tap" go hand in hand)

I don't take the movies seriously, but they are good or good fun, if nothing else.

Griftopia is a MUST READ if you want to understand why it doesn't really matter who you vote for... they're all bought and paid for.

Crash Proof Is in the end, trying to sell something, but there's a lot of meat in it.

Patriots is a not-greatly-written shopping list built around a story... somewhat plausible but you better hurry to prep like that if you think the end is near.

One Second After Is probably the best hope for community survival (not for the lone wolf survival scenario)... A fairly good model for longer term community survival, IMO.

The Road Well, If I survive that long (~10 years after an End of the world event), alone, not even caring for a minor, it would be a miracle... I think I'd have saved the last bullet for me, and used it).

A new/old book I have to read is an updated issuance of Possum Living, I've wanted the book for >30 years, I see it's been reprinted, and have already loaded the sample onto my Kindle.

Another Must Read: The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker, I'd love to find a hardcopy of his Just 2 Seconds But $25 for a kindle edition is high and the price of the paperback is $58... Pricey...

And specifically for CCW permit holders... "The Bible" of deadly force... In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob

Never stop learning.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think I already have it downloaded on my Kindle. Just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. If not, it's on my Kindle wish list.
    Well, if it REALLY was one second after, you wouldn't be able to read it on your Kindle!
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

For anyone getting ready to read "One Second After" you may want to first give all your credit cards to a trusted friend to hold for you and not give back for a while. Otherwise you may just find yourself ordering everything to stock up for the end.

This week it came out that China is developing EMP weapons for use against Taiwan and US aircraft carriers.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Sponsored Links