Where would you retire?

This is a discussion on Where would you retire? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was born and have lived in a few places in PA, good place to live. Live in SC now and really enjoy it. 3 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Where would you retire?

I was born and have lived in a few places in PA, good place to live. Live in SC now and really enjoy it. 3 hours to Charleston and 1 hour to the mountains. Friendly gun laws for the most part.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sixto has the important part if you have children or other folks you wish to provide for after departure.

You want a state that does not have an income tax (some tax pensions or ss, some don't), you want a state without an inheritance tax, and a state without an estate tax; slightly different than an inheritance tax.

Gun laws, climate, and quality of medical care are the next set of issues.

Old people don't do well in either excessive cold or excessive heat. If you can't be a snow bird you want to look for a place with 4 seasons which are each mild. I really don't have any to suggest.

Medical care is huge consideration, but you don't want to move to a place like Rochester, MN where it gets excessively cold in winter just to get the top notch medical care.

Being a snow bird is fine for the years in which you are well enough to travel, but eventually if we don't just croak in our sleep, there will be a period of some infirmity which might make travel difficult.

If you have kids, you want to be (if possible) close enough to visit and for emergencies, and far enough apart to not be a pain to each other. I think ideally that is in the 100 mile to 200 mile range.

We have found this issue quite difficult. We remained where I worked and where we lived for almost 40 years, but it is OK only in terms of taxation and guns. Not climate and not proximity to the kiddo.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Right where I just retired to. a 180 acre farm on a river in SW Wisconsin. Now that they passed one of the better CC laws and also allow open carry it's getting even better.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Arizona for sure. Awesome gun laws, close to family, mountains, lakes, and not too far from beaches

VIP Member

Try this out...............

Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Answer the questions about what's important to you and they suggest the cities you should be looking at.

You don't have to give out any personal information to get their answers.
    Cory1022 likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Sounds good to me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I have worked and lived here since the late 70's and aside from the ocassional hurricane and the summer heat I can't see me moving anywhere it is not warm year around.

The Brady Bunch list us as tied for # 5 but hopefully we can get a higher rating next year.

No open carry yet but concealed is fine by me.

No state income tax. Lots of golf and fishing.

For me it's the Sunshine State.

Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Heaven is probably going to be my retirement home. I'm on the "work till ya die" program.
    DefConGun and BruceGibson like this.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Thanks for the great site GunnyBunny...... I'm getting alot of great ideas and things to think about from everyone's input.......

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Answer the questions about what's important to you and they suggest the cities you should be looking at.

You don't have to give out any personal information to get their answers.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Costa Rica.

bosco
    alachner likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If I were to retire in the US, I would definitely do it in South Texas (San Antonio or Austin). They have great gun and tax laws, it is very safe, they have year round good weather, the cost of living is extremely affordable, they have really good healthcare, great international airports (Dallas and Houston), great road infrastructure, good shopping, Tex-Mex food, and the people are extremely friendly and welcoming. My second choice would be Florida due to the weather, beaches, cosmopolitan life and tax and gun laws, but it is more expensive, a little dangerous and prone to Hurricanes.

"The stars at night, are big and bright...deep in the hear of Texas!"

Nonetheless, I will retire exactly where I was born. COSTA RICA BABY!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

My plan is to leave here the day after Christmas, go south, and slowly make my way west with a truck pulled camper. Take my time coming back during the western states , and get back here in mid April. If I find a place I like better after my first year of retirement , sell the farm and relocate.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Just about anywhere but here in NH -- someplace warmer.

I think it's gonna be Charleston SC for me and my lady.... The whole fun in the sun thing. Truth is we'll probably sit around all day and complain about how hot its and hit the Ihop for lunch everyday, just like her parents... Dang! I gotta rethink this one....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    While not "retired", I am already there! This is the view from our back porch:
    Attached Images
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I retired to north Georgia for lower property values, taxes and for the good gun laws, as good as any state, better than most.
    babarock likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links