Where would you retire? - Page 5

Where would you retire?

This is a discussion on Where would you retire? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The AARP magazine just rated the top 10 retirement states based on property tax and sales tax rates, median housing price, cost of living, plus ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Where would you retire?

The AARP magazine just rated the top 10 retirement states based on property tax and sales tax rates, median housing price, cost of living, plus tax rates on pensions and social insecurity. Of course gun friendly was not one of the criteria. They picked:
    Winchester VA
    Portland ME
    Gainesville, GA
    Wenatchee WA
    Tulsa OK
    Cheyenne WY
    Columbus IN
    Harrisburg PA
    Ithaca NY (***? NY is tax capital of the US)
    Midland TX
    check out aarp.org/bestplaces

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've done it twice already - Florida and Arizona. Considered Texas.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I live in Texas, and life is good here, overall. There is no state income tax, though property taxes can be high, but I will not likely be owning a huge amount of real estate. My retiree health insurance will be priced lower if I remain within a given local service area. It looks like I will remain in Texas, unless there is a compelling reason, in the future, to get out.

I tend to like the area between the Brazos and Colorado Rivers, far enough from Houston and the I-35 corridor so there is no rush hour, and far enough inland that hurricanes will have dissipated a bit before reaching us. This will put me within a reasonable distance of several urban areas when I feel like a good restaurant meal or such civilized thing, or something urgent such as medical care.

I used to dream of living in, or along the edge of, true wilderness, high in some true mountains, or perhaps Alaska. That was before my right knee became gimpy, and and before my right hand, wrist, arm, and shoulder started giving me problems. Getting old has is down sides.

onto a sail boat

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links