Any bicycle fans on here?

This is a discussion on Any bicycle fans on here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just bought a brand new Trek Madone 3.1 full carbon road bike. Full carbon fork and frame with a 105 drive train weighing 18lbs. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any bicycle fans on here?

VIP Member

Any bicycle fans on here?

I just bought a brand new Trek Madone 3.1 full carbon road bike. Full carbon fork and frame with a 105 drive train weighing 18lbs.

Paying for it hurt me a bit (I nearly cried when I got the total with pedals and tax), but I ride 4 or 5 days a week so it will be money well spent. : )

I pick it up tomorrow at 1pm and I will be riding by 2. WooHoo!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Ooopah on the carbon. I always find losing weight off my backside is a lot cheaper.

VIP Member
    Too true.

I have been riding my fat tire bike exclusively on pavement for three years now. I figured it was time to get a real road bike.

I try to ride with my wife but she is just to much to keep up with. She recently bought a Trek Hybrid as an upgrade from her other $600 bicycle.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I love bycicles! I have a Cannondale Jekyll with double suspension and I love riding in trails with friends here in Heidelberg, Germany. There is no better rush than the feel of traveling great distances with your bicycle and discovering new places that you normally don't appreciate as well with your car. Even better, I prefer hiking on the forest and mountains.
    atctimmy and tkruf like this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member
    Bianchi Milano utility bike for store trips and appointments, etc. We are coming into a Golden Age of bike trails with major through fares having dedicated bike lanes. My wish list includes a road bike with boogie board rack to make the ten-mile ride east to Huntington Beach, Surf City, where the 2011 Nike US Open ended yesterday.
    I would be crazy not to be a bicycle rider fanatic in this environment - one of the reasons that I moved here. I love LA! What's not to love? And I've checked it, the ocean is just lower land with water over it. So there's no place for this state to "slide into". Thanks for the off topic post to allow me to express my appreciation for something good about my adopted home town.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Lead Moderator
    My road bike is a few years old, a Serotta Colorado. It actually cost me more than my first new car! I rode my previous road bike to destruction, it was a custom made Proteus Design road bike. I've ridden road bikes since the 1970's!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    I ride as a bike cop, I try to get on the bike at least three times a week. It a lot of fun and adds a whole new dimension to police work. We have some of the nicest police bike around, with bikes from Trek, Bianchi and Fuji. I don't know the models. Years ago I bought a Trek 805 to help with a major leg and hip injury I sustained while jumping out of airplanes for our Uncle. I still have the bike and converted it to a hybrid. I just got back from an exercise ride a few minutes ago. Even though it's 15 years old, it's still a nice bike that can keep up with all but the most serious of bikers. If I lived in town, Id ride a lot more than I do now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Bought a Giant mountain bike in 1996. No shocks. Rigid aluminum frame. Aluminum was the rage back then. Cost me $600. Rode it on the Olympic trail in congers,ga back in 97. Haven't really ridden since about 99. Loved it though.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Here is a pic from Trek's website.

Trek Madone 3.1. Large e-mail view.jpg

VIP Member
    I did 41 miles today on my new bike. Woohoo.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Way to go!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I didn't drive my car that many miles last week
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Southwestern Ohio has a number of great bike trails and I use to ride between one and two thousand miles a year up until 2003 when I bought my first Harley. Unfortunately, great motorcycle and great bicycle riding weather happens to coinside! The bicycles happened to take a back seat to the Harleys the past few years, but I really need to get them out and start riding again for the health benefits. I got a Schwinn Peleton with full Ultegra components for a road bike (that cost more than my first Triumph motorcycle back in 1970) and a Schwinn Homegrown with XTR components for a Mountain bike. I don't do much off road riding and the Homegrown is way more than I need but I got a great deal on it that I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately I have champaign likes on a beer budget. I also got a couple other cheaper bikes as well.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Southwestern Ohio has a number of great bike trails and I use to ride between one and two thousand miles a year up until 2003 when I bought my first Harley. Unfortunately, great motorcycle and great bicycle riding weather happens to coinside! The bicycles happened to take a back seat to the Harleys the past few years, but I really need to get them out and start riding again for the health benefits. I got a Schwinn Peleton with full Ultegra components for a road bike (that cost more than my first Triumph motorcycle back in 1970) and a Schwinn Homegrown with XTR components for a Mountain bike. I don't do much off road riding and the Homegrown is way more than I need but I got a great deal on it that I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately I have champaign likes on a beer budget. I also got a couple other cheaper bikes as well.
    My new Trek has a 105 groupo. I looked at Ultegra but it was out of my price range.

I have a really nice mountain bike. It's a full suspension cross country rig decked out in XTR and she is fast! I haven't ridden it off road in three years. : ( That is why I just bought a road bike.

A week after buying a road bike I had a buddy from church ask me to ride a dirt ride next weekend and I'm looking forward to it. I hope I still have the skill to ride a technical trail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links