Your Favorite Leather Care Routine for Work/Heavy Use Boots and Shoes

Your Favorite Leather Care Routine for Work/Heavy Use Boots and Shoes

This is a discussion on Your Favorite Leather Care Routine for Work/Heavy Use Boots and Shoes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have several pairs of leather barn and horse boots that get hard wear in dust bowl dry weather (10% humidity) to ankle deep mud, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Your Favorite Leather Care Routine for Work/Heavy Use Boots and Shoes

Lightbulb Your Favorite Leather Care Routine for Work/Heavy Use Boots and Shoes

I have several pairs of leather barn and horse boots that get hard wear in dust bowl dry weather (10% humidity) to ankle deep mud, snow and ice. I'm just curious about other member's leather care routines.....Here's mine, specifically for leather when coloration, discoloration or darkening is not important:

Keep clean with saddle soap;
    Routine applications of Bick's Leather Conditioner;
    Frequent applications of mink oil; and
    Occasionally polish with Cavalier polish or Meltonian.

I keep them dry, supple, crack free, and can generally have them re-soled and re-heeled before any leather wears out. If they get wet, I dry them slowly in a cool location, and then follow that with the above routine, perhaps even two or three times.

Can anyone add their routine? Do I have opportunities to improve? Do you recommend different products? I know we have a lot of different leather experts here, from holster folks to restoration experts..........

Am I on track here? Other ideas?

Thanks!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Me being an auto mechanic,i keep my boots well dressed with plenty of motor oil,works great!
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    The manufacturer of the boots I wear ( 8 inch lace up ) recommends applying boot oil. I wipe them off with a damp cloth and then apply liberal amounts of oil and let them soak overnight. Had them for several years now and not one crack in the leather yet. I oil them more in the dry hot months than during the winter. I have never used a shoe polish of any type.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I like Sno-Seal on most work/outdoor stuff, neatsfoot oil on some things that may not have as harsh a life. Liquid silicone 'Shoe-saver' on suede. I dry mine with a Peet boot/skate dryer, warm air convection (not hot at all). Dries boots out pretty quick.

Watch where you step!

Administrator
    I know that you folks have never heard of this incredible old product.

A mixture of Sperm Whale Oil & Pine Pitch or Pine Resin.

I actually have a full old can.

It was originally formulated for loggers leather boots & it really waterproofs & perfectly conditions leather.

It really "tinkeys" though but, so did the loggers.

Rock and Glock likes this.

Actually have read about it in logging history books and stories about old time logging and woodsmanship. Don't think I've seen it though, thanks for showing it!

Obenauf's Leather Care

The absoulte best stuff I have ever used on and and all leather.

I am interested in the stuff QK mentioned though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Currin's Whale Oil Paste has not been "on the shelves" for many years.

~~~> Whale Oil = a Big "no-no" these days.

Probably the closest that you'll get to it nowadays would be 2 products by Montana Pitch Blend.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OK QK I'll nibble - what do you use? I know you like Lexol NF for some stuff, but what about your hiking/camping boots? Do you use the Montana PB?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Obenauf's Leather Care

The absoulte best stuff I have ever used on and and all leather.

I am interested in the stuff QK mentioned though.
    Another Obenauf's fan here . I just clean with a damp or wet cloth and (very mild dish soap solution if needed). Wipe off and rub on the Obenauf's.

Administrator
    Right now I'm using Snow Country WAX/OIL by Bee Natural & it works really well.
    I like their products & as a plus they are U.S.A.
    They have a ton of nifty & effective leather care products.

Whatever you use you need to really scrub it into all stitches & really work it into the welt area AKA that crevice where the sole & heel meet the upper leather.
    It's basically a waterproofing oil, pitch blend, and softened beeswax & so any high quality product that approximates that formula should work about the same.

I use a stiff hog bristle artists oil painting paint brush but, a used toothbrush will do.

OK....lemme see if I can locate you a link.

Here it be...Product Listing

And here is their web site HOME page since they have different products for differentt use leather.

http://www.bee-natural.com/cgi-bin/w.../web_store.cgi
    I originally found them when the leather carving artists were recommending their Pro Carv - (a special solution that is applied to vegetable tanned leather prior to tooling, carving, & stamping.

I use melt beeswax into the leather to waterproof them, and I like to use KG's Bootguard to go around the seams and over the toes on my "real" work boots. Works wonders.

Steel Toe Work Boot Repair and Protection

Administrator
    Your post just reminded me.
    The first time that you use a beeswax, mink oil & pitch blend formula....apply it...warm it up (really well) on the boots with a hair dryer and then wait about a half-hour and then repeat the application but, without getting it hot afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I use melt beeswax into the leather to waterproof them, and I like to use KG's Bootguard to go around the seams and over the toes on my "real" work boots. Works wonders.

Steel Toe Work Boot Repair and Protection
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My latest Mink Oil treatment gave out too quickly, so I ordered some of the Bee Natural Leather Care Snow Country Wax Oil. Reports to follow upon receipt, application, blow-drying and wearing. Thanks ya'll!!!!!

Mine favorite is BMW ever particularly the BME640 which they launch recently I really like that.
    Well rather than the car I like to ride it with executive shoes because it by own seems like an executive car.

Sponsored Links