My city lying about recycling? - Page 2

My city lying about recycling?

This is a discussion on My city lying about recycling? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just to add a point of order here: Oil is not scarce. It is one of the most abundant resources here on earth. It is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: My city lying about recycling?

VIP Member
    Just to add a point of order here: Oil is not scarce. It is one of the most abundant resources here on earth. It is only because most of the worlds EASILY ACCESSIBLE oil is controlled by a bunch of crazy West hating Muslims that it is expensive.

Our oil costs more to get to than theirs so it is not profitable YET to go get it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Yes, this has been going on forever. I thought everyone knew that this went on regularly?? Unless you have a local recycle center that recycles the pickup materials, with dedicated recycle trucks, the waste is going to the landfill.

I'm utterly SHOCKED by this outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana .
    Just a quick point, LCD TVs use less energy than CRT TVs. Otherwise, good points. My wife and I would like to figure out a way to economically recycle. We have one TV. We air-dry our clothes. We pack things with newspaper and re-use old boxes for storage. Neither of us likes running on treadmills; real ground is the winner. We mostly drink water, which we filter through a Brita pitcher and drink from Nalgene bottles rather than buying bottled.

Some of us know how to do our small part.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Just to add a point of order here: Oil is not scarce. It is one of the most abundant resources here on earth. It is only because most of the worlds EASILY ACCESSIBLE oil is controlled by a bunch of crazy West hating Muslims that it is expensive.

Our oil costs more to get to than theirs so it is not profitable YET to go get it.
    It's more BS politics as usual. We go to Iraq with a bunch of gas guzzling tanks that get only 5 gallons to the mile (that's correct, not 5 miles to the gallon). Do we even think about topping off at an Iraq pump, Nope. We get to spend a Trillion to blow them up and then rebuild everything and they get to keep all the oil. Defense spending keeps the crooks in Washington employed.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    So politically incorrect and so true. Just like biofuels that consume more engergy to produce than they actually yield.
    ...or "Green" vehicles and batteries that take more energy to produce than they will ever save throughout their life times.
    surefire7 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    In the line at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana .

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service.

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?
    Hey, I refill my pens, replace my razor blades, walk up stairs, use old newspaper for packing, and even use a push mower on occasion. I also have a 50 inch TV and a 340 HP, gas guzzling truck.

I'm not one to fall for all the "green" crap. The only thing I've ever recycled is aluminum and copper. I personally believe more energy is wasted in recycling than it's worth. In the words of Toby Keith, "Funny how the world keeps turnin'."

As for the OP, the main issue I can think of for that to happen would be that people weren't putting just recyclables in there. I have a solution to that! Enact recycling licenses!

I believe most of the recycling is a HOAX and heavily Govt subsidised. It gives people something to feel good about without accomplishing anything.
    Aluminum is the only commonly used product that is efficiently recycled. There are too many different types of plastics for them to be sorted and cost effectively recycled.
    I've got friends that think that their water bottles (.5 liter ) are being refilled. Wake up people!!

A few years back in Calif, i took a truckload of jumk to the local dump. Alongside of me pulls up the green recycling truck and proceeds to dump its entire load of plastic bottles next to my junk. There's recycling for you.

Note: I believe in recycling to the extent that the technology exists to make useful products out of all our plastic bottles, BUT we are not there yet.
    I would be shocked if 5% of the plastic that goes into the recycle bins gets recycled, and I welcome any data that supports it.

Go Green
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    there are people who believe that a Prius produces more pollution than a hummer,
    Yes, and I'm one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reducing waste in landfills, so recycling is a good thing.
    The Prius thing went back a few years where some researcher worked up the carbon footprint of a Prius compared to a H2 Hummer, over it's manufacture and lifetime. It has to do with the batteries. The minerals are mined in some god forsaken place using a great deal of energy, then shipped to China where they are made into batteries in some factory belching smoke, then shipped to Japan where the car is assembled, then shipped to the US for someone to buy and feel good about not polluting the planet. In the long run, the Hummer produced less carbon emissions.

Same with electric cars. I can't tell you how many people tell me they'd love an electric car because it produces no pollution. I remind them it's really a coal powered vehicle, since it has to be recharged by a coal fired power plant most likely. They look at me like I'm crazy, "No. I'd just plug it into my house." Oh, boy!

Note: I'd never own a Hummer, and I've ridden in a Prius and it's not a bad little car. (back seat is for kids)

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Only because our president doesn't want us using our oil that is easy to get. Gulf of Mexico, Anwar.
    He could make the price of oil drop $1 tomorrow, just announce he's lifting the ban on drilling.*
    Bush did it. Remember $2 gas?

*Technically, he did, but the dirty little secret is that he then didn't allow any permits to drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Recycling makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy. Like we're really doing something to help the planet.

It wastes natural resources and does more harm than good. Recycle is another nanny state program designed to create more government jobs.

Think about all those big deisel trucks driving around sucking down fuel and then the factories that consume energy and all the contaminated water that results from the process. What a scam program.

Are we really running out of sand to make glass?

They should reduced the consumtion of the products at the source. Boxes of cereal half full, stop junk mail and phone books to save paper or make the containers for products smaller. Look at the box a DVD comes in. Total waste of materials.

Be glad they don't recycle.
    Lol...wait a minute... You mean to tell us that the globe, that's covered by 75% ocean(which has SAND for a bottom), can't possibly run out of sand? Say it ain't so....
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I drink a lot of soda, mostly coke. Gave up beer but I still like drinks with carbonation. Anyhow, I found I was taking out about 5 bags of garbage a week and most of it was cans. The bums were having a field day at my dumpster.

Finally I got smart, bought a can crusher and started saving the cans. The possums get into the bags (coke heads) but after I collect about 6 large size bags it is about 20 pounds of aluminum. I take the crushed cans to the same place where the bums were getting their wine money. It pays if your not too proud. I drive there I don't use a shopping cart as most do.

Since the neighborhood where the recycling place is not the best, I carry my 5" Stainless Kimber open. They take me to the front to the line every time.

Hay, it pays for the ammo.
    That's smarts right there...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Interesting take on the subject. I am far from being a rabid environmentalist my vehicles are two (2) Suburbans and an F150 but I do recycle because it seems to make sense. I am pushing 50 and we did newspaper recycling when I was a kid (I thought it worked), metal recycling has existed as a private industry for a very long time. As for glass, I don't know; but, plastic raw materials are growing more scarce. Not to mention landfill are not all that great either and trucking costs seems moot since the material will be collected regardless of the destination, landfill or recycling. I guess I am wondering is this your opinion or, are there facts to substantiate the claim. Seriously, not trying to be argumentative just curious, I actually pay extra to have recyclables picked up from my home and I would be happy to stop paying extra if there is no benefit.

This we can totally agree on, is very true.
    Recycling requires an additional truck to pick up just those special items. The energy of transporting the products (oil) the electric energy(coal) used in the factories and the water polluted in the process all add up. It takes MUCH less energy to produce the product brand new. You are NOT saving sand by recycling bottles and trees are now managed to produce paper products. I do however agree on the recycling of bulk metals like autos, copper, aluminium etc.

As far as plastic recycling... People don't need to walk around with all these plasic water bottles but it's become very trendy thing to do. When did it become so important to have water everywhere you go? We live in a throw away society and people are the ones at fault. The process of plastic recycling is also very energy demanding and new products are produced far more efficiently.

The Prius is energy consuming from cradle to grave. The Volkwagon Jetta uses a Turbo Diesel Injection technology that gets almost as good a gas mileage as the Prius WITHOUT the use of batteries. (over 50 MPG hiway) You'd do a far greater service to your planet if you got rid of at least one of your large trucks and replace it with a Jetta and forget about recycycling little water bottles or news papers. Land fills are another false claim. There is plenty of space for land fills and they are managed quite well these days and are really not a problem.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    You were on a roll till you hit the Prius thing.
    big dirty here--they mine the nickle for the battery in Canada and than haul the ore to a dock(a truck that burns diesel) and than by desiel powered ore carried to china to be refined--(off the ore carrier on to the dock than on to a truck to a plant-- i am sure a modern factory with the best air scrubbers and waste re-cumulation equipment to than make a battery that gets transported (trucks burning desial again) to a dock and taken back to America on another large desiel ship and transported by truck to a manufacturing plant where it is put in a vehicle. the components of the battery have more mileage on them than the car ever will. and the battery is good for 6 to 8 years and than needs to be replaced---and disassembled and rendered safe to the environment.

just love those that think their Prius is saving the planet--rather,....they are helping to save their little part of it.

eyes wide shut

------------------

sorry--forgot about all the miners who commute in their fossile burning vehicals to get to the mines that than need the HUGE equipment; usually run on electric so the mine needs its own electric generation station to operate.....it most likely uses coal to power the generators. the Chinese are rice & dung powered as are their plants--but we all know that 3 georges powers ALL of China, so...

i will later look for the artical that i remember these 'facts' from. bottom line was a prius was 2.8 times dirter overall in its life span than a 'regular' vehical.

but how has it ever been that a lemming turns it path due to knowledge.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    big dirty here--they mine the nickle for the battery in Canada and than haul the ore to a dock(a truck that burns diesel) and than by desiel powered ore carried to china to be refined--(off the ore carrier on to the dock than on to a truck to a plant-- i am sure a modern factory with the best air scrubbers and waste re-cumulation equipment to than make a battery that gets transported (trucks burning desial again) to a dock and taken back to America on another large desiel ship and transported by truck to a manufacturing plant where it is put in a vehicle. the components of the battery have more mileage on them than the car ever will. and the battery is good for 6 to 8 years and than needs to be replaced---and disassembled and rendered safe to the environment.

just love those that think their Prius is saving the planet--rather,....they are helping to save their little part of it.

eyes wide shut

------------------

sorry--forgot about all the miners who commute in their fossile burning vehicals to get to the mines that than need the HUGE equipment; usually run on electric so the mine needs its own electric generation station to operate.....it most likely uses coal to power the generators. the Chinese are rice & dung powered as are their plants--but we all know that 3 georges powers ALL of China, so...

i will later look for the artical that i remember these 'facts' from. bottom line was a prius was 2.8 times dirter overall in its life span than a 'regular' vehical.

but how has it ever been that a lemming turns it path due to knowledge.
    Claude, just to be clear, I know, and agree with your post; don't lump me in with them.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Administrator
    The BIG Picture........

Human beings have only existed on Planet Earth for the blink of an eye compared to the actual age of the Earth.

In the future - volcanoes will erupt - continents will shift - islands will disappear & new ones will be born - earthquakes will happen - huge meteors & comets will hit the Earth - new mountains will be formed - entire existing mountains will crumble to dust and wash into the sea - rivers will change course - seas will dry up and become salt flats - new seas and oceans will form - forests will die & be born - existing life forms will die off - entire new species will evolve - all plastic will deteriorate - all metal will rust - even Stainless Steel will eventually deteriorate into Nickel & Chromium & Iron Oxide - Aluminum cans will completely oxidize into white powder - newspaper will mold and mildew become new plant life - peat bogs will form as plant life dies - the magnetic North & South poles will shift again as has happened thousands of times in the past - there will sporadic ice ages lasting for thousands of years - CO2 levels will increase again to 500 times the present level as it has also done in the distant past - wood will petrify - new diamonds and minerals will come to the surface - the entire sea floor will end up becoming molten rock again as it is slowly pushed under the crust the Earth will be here when the great pyramids are no more.

Think about it...all of the water you drink today was once pissed out of millions of years of dinosaurs.

The Earth constantly recycles itself.

Not one single trace of our garbage will remain a million years from now and the Earth will keep plodding on.
    surefire7, msgt/ret and ASSA9 like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Keep up the fight adric22. Don't let the naysayers have their way with your resolve. Do what you feel is right.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links